Mustang Elevator Issue

Zahnarzt

I have an issue with my swappable Mustang's elevator. When the servo pushes up or down, only the side attached to the servo really does any moving. The other half lags behind considerably. Has anyone come up with a really good solution for this? I tried to put a barbecue skewer through the elevator all the way to make it stronger, but it didn't do anything. I don't want to tear this up with numerous attempts.

Thanks in advance!

-Z

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
They tend to do that even with a skewer, try using a steel maker flag a bend it so it looks like a flared N shape them glue that in place or to beef up the skewer you have apply fiber tape to both sides of your elevator. And if you did hot glue hinges makes sure its not to thick or itll cause that problem if so just run the flat side of your hot glue gun tip along the foam edges to smooth and thin it out

Zahnarzt

Pretty good solution!

They tend to do that even with a skewer, try using a steel maker flag a bend it so it looks like a flared N shape them glue that in place or to beef up the skewer you have apply fiber tape to both sides of your elevator. And if you did hot glue hinges makes sure its not to thick or itll cause that problem if so just run the flat side of your hot glue gun tip along the foam edges to smooth and thin it out

Thanks for your suggestions. I did as you said and really thinned out the hot glue joint. Didn't have any wire of significance around, but I did have some flat CF rods. I jammed in one across the horizontal stabilizer and CAed another on top of the elevator itself. 90% improvement. Close enough for jazz, as we say. Note before and after pics.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    529.3 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 29

jayz 84

There you go man just keep that in mind next build. And a good way to seal all your foam edges on your elevator/ anywhere use hot glue the same way as you do hings put a dab on the edges and spred with the side tip of the hotglue gun instead of tape... just a good idea you dont have to... nice paint job by the way

Zahnarzt

There you go man just keep that in mind next build. And a good way to seal all your foam edges on your elevator/ anywhere use hot glue the same way as you do hings put a dab on the edges and spred with the side tip of the hotglue gun instead of tape... just a good idea you dont have to... nice paint job by the way

Ooo, good idea! Probably way faster to use hot glue than tape!

Here's the finished product. Just estimating the kill count since it hasn't flown before. ;D

Thanks again!

-Z photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

jayz 84

Very nice i like it alot. My latest one was build reno racing style with just a easy paint job precious metal CAM00363-1.jpg its a 800mm pushing 100mph have a 67% to
CAM00415.jpg but my next one is gonna be a traditional p51 scheme