MWC Flip 1.5 with Fly Sky Radio

BBK33

Hello,

I'm trying to build my first quad and I'm running into issues getting the receiver to communicate to the Flip 1.5 FC. I have the FC connected to my computer and running the MWC v2.3. I can see all of the telemetry data coming back, roll, pitch, yaw, but none of my radio controls show any change, they are all stuck at 1500 PPM.

Capture.PNG

I've connected the receiver leads as shown in the youtube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iry4vaE4RUY

With the throttle on all 3 S-V-G pins, the Roll, Pitch and Yaw just on the signal pins, and the Aux1 cable on all 3 S-V-G pins again. I've used one of the ESC (Fire Red 30A-HV ESC) BEC connectors to try and power the receiver by connecting the 3-pin connector to the S-V-G pins of the receiver, but with the fly sky FS-T6 there's no LED that I can see on the receiver to tell me there's any power. My battery is a Turngy 3 Cell 2200mAh LiPo. It's supposed to be factory bonded and I've never used this radio before so I was assuming there wouldn't be any issues there. I'm not sure if I've tried to power the receiver correctly either, so if anyone has made the same mistake(s) I might be making please let me know, thank you.

I've ordered a Switch-Mode UBEC in order to try testing the receiver that way in order to bypass the ESC's all together in case they are bad.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm getting ready to do the same setup but on an airplane instead of a quad. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. I wish I hadn't purchased the FlySky radio now but that's hindsight. There is almost no information on it because so few people are using it.

In the meantime, this is the video I'v been looking at to try and figure it out

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I would make sure the RX is actually bound, I've never heard of them coming pre-bound before.

I would also suggest NOT using FlySky for a quad unless you build your own RX. The reason is none of the commercially available FlySky RX's have failsafe support and if you loose signal then they'll stick at the last inputs which is a great way to loose a multi. The homemade FlySky RX's support both PPM for simple 1-wire connection to the FC and they have a proper failsafe so the FC can trigger it's failsafe and save your vehicle.

Either way be sure to put your contact info on the frame somewhere just in case it does get away from you once it's in the air.

RAM

I would make sure the RX is actually bound, I've never heard of them coming pre-bound before.

I would also suggest NOT using FlySky for a quad unless you build your own RX. The reason is none of the commercially available FlySky RX's have failsafe support and if you loose signal then they'll stick at the last inputs which is a great way to loose a multi. The homemade FlySky RX's support both PPM for simple 1-wire connection to the FC and they have a proper failsafe so the FC can trigger it's failsafe and save your vehicle.

Either way be sure to put your contact info on the frame somewhere just in case it does get away from you once it's in the air.

The failsafe problem can be solved for $50 if you already have the FlySky like I do.
http://www.valuehobby.com/media/wysiwyg/upload/Manual/frsky DHT.pdf

Last edited:

RAM

This is another mod you might want to do. Once you get the flip working you might want a 3 position switch for the modes.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The failsafe issue can be solved even cheaper by just making your own RX using midelic's code on RCGroups. Only costs about $10 per RX to build your own :)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921870

I've built a couple myself and they work great, it's basically just 6 wires and flashing an arduino...ok there's a resistor and LED as well. Still easier and cheaper than switching to FrSky :D

RAM

The failsafe issue can be solved even cheaper by just making your own RX using midelic's code on RCGroups. Only costs about $10 per RX to build your own :)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921870

I've built a couple myself and they work great, it's basically just 6 wires and flashing an arduino...ok there's a resistor and LED as well. Still easier and cheaper than switching to FrSky :D

Good to see that coming along. Any fix for range?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Haven't had any range issues, I loose video on my 200mw 5.6ghz video before I loose link even with the trace antenna on the A7105 modules I'm using. When I want to fly further I have an openLRS system.

I mostly fly 250 sized quads with the flysky, sometimes my 360ish knuckle frame. At those sizes I've got more than enough range for LOS.

RichB

[/QUOTE]
I would also suggest NOT using FlySky for a quad unless you build your own RX. The reason is none of the commercially available FlySky RX's have failsafe support

Kinda sorta.

Some receivers allow you to program what I would call an active failsafe. This is a pre-determined set of channel commands to use in the event of a signal loss. A good example for a plane would be Ailerons Level, elevator neutral, throttle zero, slight left rudder. The idea there would be to get your model to circle down slowly.
For a multirotor, you might want to program in something like Autolevel on, controls neutral, throttle slightly below hover. The idea being that your multirotor would stop traveling and just sink slowly

Flysky receivers do not have an active pre-defined failsafe mode. But they do have a failsafe of sorts. Whan a flysky receiver loses signal, it stops creating outputs. Every flight controller available (Naze32, MultiWii, APM, Pixhawk, etc) recognizes this as a failsafe mode and gives the user the option to pre-specify what to do in this situation.

For example, my Naze32 Tick Quad has a failsafe throttle setting and mode. My plane with the APM will go into loiter mode if the rx loses signal. My multiwii tricopter had RTH set as the failsafe.

if you loose signal then they'll stick at the last inputs which is a great way to loose a multi.

This is simply not true, but it's a common misconception. I used to think this as well after watching a plane I built auger in after losing signal. In fact I believe that the servos simply stopped updating, not that the receiver was locked into the last command received.

CharelZa

I would also suggest NOT using FlySky for a quad unless you build your own RX. The reason is none of the commercially available FlySky RX's have failsafe support and if you loose signal then they'll stick at the last inputs which is a great way to loose a multi..

Forgive me but, I do not know about the FS6 but with the Flysky Tx I have its got.
I have a Flysky FS I10 with a few different Rx's and they all have programmed Fails safe.
Also, the std RX's not park fly all have PPM enabled and I am using it on all my setups apart from with a CC3D.

Maybe this reference was to older Flysky systems, but defiantly not applicable to the new systems.

Regards

RAM

Forgive me but, I do not know about the FS6 but with the Flysky Tx I have its got.
I have a Flysky FS I10 with a few different Rx's and they all have programmed Fails safe.
Also, the std RX's not park fly all have PPM enabled and I am using it on all my setups apart from with a CC3D.

Maybe this reference was to older Flysky systems, but defiantly not applicable to the new systems.

Regards

This is the old one, the FS-T6 we were talking about.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The FSI10 is a different system that isn't compatible with the "normal" Flysky systems.

The "standard" FlySky systems used in the FS6 and the 9x do not have programmable failsafes or PPM on any of the compatible RX's (unless they've come out with something new in the past few months that I haven't seen.)

I've also confirmed with mine that the RX's do continue to send the last commands. At least the two commercially available ones I've used continued to send the last commands when I shut down my TX while testing:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12339__Turnigy_9X_2_4GHz_8Ch_Receiver_V2_.html
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10625__HobbyKing_GT_2_2_4Ghz_Receiver_3Ch.html

Maybe they've changed them over time...but if so then it's hard to tell one version from another.

With the DIY RX's so easy to make, so small and supporting PPM as well as both programmable failsafe and cut all output failsafe and don't cost any more than buying one...I've been more than happy with simply making my own instead so I haven't been paying much attention to flysky's commercial RX's since late last summer :)

RAM

With the DIY RX's so easy to make, so small and supporting PPM as well as both programmable failsafe and cut all output failsafe and don't cost any more than buying one...I've been more than happy with simply making my own instead so I haven't been paying much attention to flysky's commercial RX's since late last summer :)

I wish someone would do a build video on one of those. I imagine the cost only goes down if you can source the parts locally. Or, you order enough to build several of them.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I keep meaning to do a how to...but the last two I built went together so quick they were done by the time I remembered to grab my camera :D

I need to make another one one up so when I get around to it I'll try and do a video/article on it.

RAM

I keep meaning to do a how to...but the last two I built went together so quick they were done by the time I remembered to grab my camera :D

I need to make another one one up so when I get around to it I'll try and do a video/article on it.

That would be great.

CharelZa

Thanx for the info.
It will be very cool if you could do a how to video.:)

BBK33

Thank you all for the information and mod ideas for the Fly Sky radio, I've gotten a little closer to figuring it out I think. The UBEC did the trick, by connecting that to the receiver I was able to power it up and see the LED, which turns out to be internal and also behind the sticker (Not obvious at all). For anyone using the FS-T6 Radio it does come bound from the factory, I didn't have to bind the receiver in order to get it to work.

The next thing that won't work is the ESC's. I'm using Ready To Fly Quad's 30A-HighVoltage ESC's and trying to power them with a 2200mAh 3S(11.1V) 25C battery from Turnigy. Does anyone know if the High Voltage ESC's won't work with a 3S battery? On the Ready To Fly Quads website it says 2-6 Cells, but I can't get my motors to turn after I've armed the board and increase throttle.

RichB

The next thing that won't work is the ESC's. I'm using Ready To Fly Quad's 30A-HighVoltage ESC's and trying to power them with a 2200mAh 3S(11.1V) 25C battery from Turnigy. Does anyone know if the High Voltage ESC's won't work with a 3S battery? On the Ready To Fly Quads website it says 2-6 Cells, but I can't get my motors to turn after I've armed the board and increase throttle.

3s is easily the most common battery config in rc flight. There's no way your ESCs won't work on 3s