My 11 Year Old's First Flight!

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Went flying on Saturday, and brought my youngest kiddo with me. Normally he would be TERRIFIED to come flying with me, but only because he knows I would want him to bang the sticks around, and he is really scared to crash.

This time was different.

I went to my local hobby store and grabbed a Spektrum DX4 transmitter, and got it all set up to buddy box with my DX8. I showed him how the system worked, and he got really giddy to come with me.

We got to the field, I got the FT Flyer all ready to go with the buddy box and sent it up in the air with a hand launch. It immediately spiraled into the ground with a very unsatisfying thud.

Lesson one for the kiddo... In this hobby you crash. Period. Luckily he just laughed because he knew I was in control of the plane.

Turns out if you connect the rudder to the rudder channel, and expect the aileron input to control it you're going to have a bad time. Good news is that I was able to bring it in with no damage and make the necessary corrections.

Lesson Two for the kiddo... ALWAYS check your control surfaces. ALWAYS.

This time I got it up in the air, brought it up about 3 mistakes high and counted down like we practiced... "Three, Two, one, You have control" and pressed the trainer button.

He's a natural.

Well, mostly anyways.

He did fly over his head a few times, into the sun a few times, and got up and down confused a few times, but with some gentle coaching and a whole lot of positive reinforcement he eventually got the hang of it. Also, with the buddy box system the plane never once hit the ground as a result of his input. I brought it in for a few nice landings to change the battery, but other than that the FT Flyer performed perfectly. I really think that the FT Flyer is a FANTASTIC beginner platform.

Next time I think he will start learning how to land. I can't wait... and more importantly, neither can he. :)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yeah!:applause: great job, the whole positive reinforcement attitude is the biggest part of it.
I'm just getting my little brother into the hobby, and I think that an FT-flyer would be great for him to learn on too.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
way to go now you will have a flying buddy .... until he finds out there are girls .... maybe he will find one that likes to fly.

ViperTech

Good to hear you got him flying! Making memories and having fun! If he is a natural like my son he'll be flying rings around you before you know it!