My 2020 project - Taft Viper - Completed - flight video added

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I need a proper EDF plane in my life, one that has a decent undercarriage, awesome flight characteristics, impressive looks and something that I could afford.
Seeing this airframe kit for around £150 on Banggood I plumped for it.
No hardware is included so that means I can build it over several months, making it affordable on my meagre wage.
Have the EDF and ESC unit on the way, have bought a suitable gear sequencer unit.
Next payday I will get the undercarriage set and the receiver.
The payday after that, the digital servos and other bits and bobs.
Finally the flight batteries as 5000 6S LiPos are not exactly cheap :)
Anyway....that's the plan and hopefully before the end of summer it will be stretching it's massive wings.
For now....I'm looking at this beautiful airframe and longing to get going.
IMG_20200520_174315913_HDR.jpg IMG_20200520_174326669.jpg IMG_20200520_174343743.jpg IMG_20200520_174420495.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
ive been looked on the same plane, close to buyed many times :) , but after seen "all crazy" stuff aviator constructors did at start of jet/rocket age, i will rather want something unusual "warbird- style" form either Russian of italian origin . (i belive)

Nice "speedy jet design on that plane you choosed!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You are turning into quite the speed demon hehe. That thing is huge.

How did you mount the heat sink? I have a few on odd projects I wouldnt mind adding one to. I tried the thermal paste zip tie route on one but between the heat and a really bad tumble the heat sink was tossed and the exposed esc ended up getting wet from grass dew and went poof..

leaded50

Legendary member
How did you mount the heat sink? I have a few on odd projects I wouldnt mind adding one to. I tried the thermal paste zip tie route on one but between the heat and a really bad tumble the heat sink was tossed and the exposed esc ended up getting wet from grass dew and went poof..

Similar as the Red Brick ESC, heatsink is on esc from producer.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
You are turning into quite the speed demon hehe. That thing is huge.

The heatsinks I got came with 3M doublesided sticky heat conductive tape. I used isopropyl alcohol to completely de-greese the surfaces first and now those things are going nowhere!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I do that to most of my esc's , really helps in cooling.
I should do this on my Surfer2000. The stock ESC comes down frighteningly hot even after a short cruise without pushing it very hard. Great idea y'all! I think the heat is coming from the BEC rather than the ESC, but regardless, the heat is BAD and it is all wrapped up on the same board.

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I should do this on my Surfer2000. The stock ESC comes down frighteningly hot even after a short cruise without pushing it very hard. Great idea y'all! I think the heat is coming from the BEC rather than the ESC, but regardless, the heat is BAD.
These are the ones I used, search on Ebay for (their spelling of chips, not mine)...
20mm 20x20x10mm IC Chipes Aluminum Heatsink Cooler Radiator 3m Tape

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Rough fitting of the EDF done and its first full run up - I struggled to hold it !
Ran the watt meter on it, results on 6S was 84.21 amps and 1912.4 watts. The battery is not the one I will be flying on and has an XT60 connection on it with an adapter to XT90. I expect the final larger battery will be able to supply a few more watts through the XT90.

Now to see it...

IMG_20200529_165106564_BURST001.jpg

Now you hear it... (blew the cupboard door open!!!)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Could you limit the throw on the 180 degree ones in the radio to ~50% to get you in the air until the new ones arrive or even just use them for now and swap them out down the road on a new build as you get parts for that one?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Could you limit the throw on the 180 degree ones in the radio to ~50% to get you in the air until the new ones arrive or even just use them for now and swap them out down the road on a new build as you get parts for that one?
I could, but that would also half the resolution of the movement. :(