My 2020 project - Taft Viper - Completed - flight video added

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Applying the decals to the wings, don't like the plane name decal that is supplied so ordered some vinyl cut ones that should arrive tomorrow. Flight stabilizer arrived today, extended the control leads for the tail feathers and for the ESC.
IMG_20200707_205312827.jpg IMG_20200707_205410929.jpg IMG_20200707_205353220.jpg IMG_20200707_205434152.jpg
Next is mounting the EDF and ESC in the plane proper and defining where the massive 6S 5000mAh battery needs to go to get the CofG correct.
Very nearly done, taxi trials this weekend hopefully and as for forecast is so good I have taken Mon to Wednesday off work for maiden....perhaps?

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Pretty much complete...
Receiver + satellite, gear sequencers, stabilizer all fitted and adjusted. 3 rates, 35% expo on all surfaces, manual, stabilized and auto level configured. Balances perfectly - mega excited!!!

Last decision - what coloured name lettering, red or grey, what's the forums view?
IMG_20200709_220423988.jpg IMG_20200709_220429865.jpg IMG_20200709_220447397.jpg IMG_20200709_220502272.jpg

Timmy

Legendary member

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
It only went and flew. First battery I used for some high speed taxies and to adjust the tracking.
I was going to do the same with the second pack but halfway across the field, I just went for it and she took off beautifully.
Then I took all of my self control not to shake to pieces!
I did retract the undercarriage but totally forgot to lift the flaps so the whole flight was flown with take-off flaps.
Did about four or five circuits and then it was landing time....the wheels extended fine and I set up an approach, but she carried too much speed and last moment I aborted, just missing the long grass at the edge of the field. One time around and this time I was determined that the plane was landing. It did, nice and smoothly and I could breath again.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
It only went and flew. First battery I used for some high speed taxies and to adjust the tracking.
I was going to do the same with the second pack but halfway across the field, I just went for it and she took off beautifully.
Then I took all of my self control not to shake to pieces!
I did retract the undercarriage but totally forgot to lift the flaps so the while flight was flown with take-off flaps.
Did about four or five circuits and then it was landing time....the wheels extended fine and I set up an approach, but she carried too much speed and last moment I aborted, just missing the long grass at the edge of the field. One time around and this time I was determined that the plane was landing. It did, nice and smoothly and I could breath again.
Awesome, If you trimmed it in with the flaps down don't forget to zero those out and start over next time. Should go a lot faster with the flaps up :)