My aproach on David's simplecopter

crlock

while waiting for more parts to arrive to build the fourth version of my frame, i decided to give it a tri on David's tricopter. so far looks pretty good :) i need more siliconed wire. i hate waiting for my parts! :mad:
9497060221_e96291e784_z.jpg
9497070481_ac832eb6d4_z.jpg
cheers

crlock

just a dremel, it's a pain, you need to really protect your skin, eyes and nose, otherwise you'll get a mean skin rash and worse.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah, but it looks like it was done on a CNC.

I have picked up a jewelers hand saw for less dust, but I'm sure it will take much longer for cuts, so I'm also looking at scroll saws too. Just no room in the budget for even a DIY CNC yet...

crlock

i tried some saws, but the CF ate them like they were candy jejjeje, the dremel worked like a charm

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah, I'm just cutting light ply for right now. I'll have to rethink it when I move to CF... :)

crlock

the good thing about CF is that sanding the edges cover all your mistakes and give the plate a neat looking finish ;)
a good advice, do not remove the protective layer until you are finished cuting and sanding, you will scratch it. been there, done that :(

At least for me the setup for cuting and finishing CF is:

Dremel with a cutting disc
a set of fine grain files, flat round and triangular
sand paper 400 grain for fine finishing and 180 grain to reduce big lumps and dents.
small drillbit for the screw holes i think it's 3mm diameter and a really big one for the big holes (to reduce weight. 3mm CF is HEAVY) - To make the holes, you need to do two steps:
first with a slightly bigger drillbit, start the hole, don't go all the way trough, stop, change to the smaller drillbit and finish the hole, now turn plate, and with the bigger drillbit, carb away the excess debris left by the drillbit breaking the surface. it's a slow and tedious process, but to get nice results you must suffer jejejejjeje

On ebay you can find 2mm CF for 25 dollars! that is cheap and really good quality, keeping in mind that a tricopter frame is not a heavy duty aplication, so go ahead, get a plate and cut the hell out of it :)

cheers

crlock

Thx mate, the trick is to first practice with plywood and then choose the least scratched side to show hahahhaa

crlock

Finally after two months waiting, the last parts came in the mail (motors and wires). Yesterday i fired it up, but the tail motor seemed to have more power than the other two ( i did not put the new motors) this is strange, because is the same setup as before, and it flew just fine. Except this is lighter.

The two front motors are a couple of rctimer 750kv and the rear one is 800vk. maybe i have to reset everything to factory settings, and put the new motors, 800kv, like the rear one.
do you guys have any ideas?

Cheers

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Oh I would definitely use the same motors all around. . .

Wow, that thing looks bigger than mine. And you certainly don't have to worry about the main plates breaking! What are your boom lengths? They look to be 18" or more. It should be very stable. Probably will be a bit lumbering, but that can be an advantage at times.

crlock

they're 20" long, i hope they don't vibrate too much, the material is pretty bendy. If that is the case, i'll be putting some cf tubes, i'm gonna install the new motors now, i'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

crlock

hmm don't know what i'm doing wrong, i put the new motors but the same results, would you share your radio and kk2 settings with me please? maybe i missed something

cheers

crlock

ok, went back to factory settings and aparently it works now, no motors speeding up on their own, no messed up controls and no flipping on the ground. I did broke another motor though, NTM propdrive 28-30, a piece of advice. For your mental health, stay away from these motors, they have the absolut worst bearings in the known universe, two minutes in the air, and the left motor suddenly died, tricopter came crashing down, broke a couple of props, and my pride a little bit. i fix the damn thing with new bearings, but now i'm in the lookout for better motors, any thoughts on wich option is best? i have 11x4,7 props (like a hundred of them) and my tri weight around 950 grams (around 2lbs), i'm looking for steady flights son i'm thinking 800-1000kv would be good for my needs.

kah00na

I suggest the SunnySky 980kv motors. They have them at banggood.com. I bought 4 and 1 was bad but banggood sent me a replacement for free. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I ended up using the 3 good ones on my Wooden Bat Bones tricopter before the replacement arrived.