My Baby Blender is now a Teenager?!

Flynn

Whats up FT Forum,

So, I've had a lot of fun flying the Baby Blender. I mean, I've crashed in and rebuilt it so many times I thought DYFS was going to knock on my door. I'm becoming a huge fan of all styles of planes, but there's something about the biplanes that are awesome to look at in the sky. I was out at NEAT fair this year and I got a chance to see the Flag Painted Biplane up close. It's got the full length of the Dollar Tree board for the wings. Made by pajonate, here on the forums.

ping 10.jpeg

He only had one post! Wonder what happened to him?

Oh well, so I wanted the bigger top wing and the regular size bottom wing. But after making that something still looked like it could use a little customizing. I traced the fuselage from the plans I had and decided to extend the tail section 4 inches.

pic8.jpeg

This also meant I would have to make the turtle deck also 4 inches longer.

I also found that a weak spot for me and my grass landings was the struts. I doubled them on each side and cut the mounting holes to fit (I think I did that after these pictures where taken).

pic9.jpeg
pic1.jpeg pic2.jpeg pic3.jpeg

So, I think I'll call it the FT Teen Blender? IDK, I just hope it doesn't fly like a teenager and give my more gray hair.

Really looking forward to maidening this one, might be spring tho :( But hey! Building, that's what winter is for.

DDSFlyer

Looks good! Wonder how it flies as well. I've been wanting a biplane and heard that the baby blender is pretty twitchy with all that wing surface control area. This looks better than the original (less stubby) hope it flies better too! Keep us updated

NewZee

Flynn...Looks great! ...I never flew the BB so I'm curious where he CG was on the original and if you have enough battery movement availible to get the CG back where it belongs due to the 4" stretch?

Flynn

Looks good! Wonder how it flies as well. I've been wanting a biplane and heard that the baby blender is pretty twitchy with all that wing surface control area. This looks better than the original (less stubby) hope it flies better too! Keep us updated

Will do!

Flynn...Looks great! ...I never flew the BB so I'm curious where he CG was on the original and if you have enough battery movement availible to get the CG back where it belongs due to the 4" stretch?

Yeah, I thought about that one. I'll have to see where things all line up. I've been running a 2200 on the stock BB. Hopefully I can work on it some more this weekend. Maybe I can push up some landing gear to the front.

perhapes if you would add some skis we wont have to wait till spring to see the maiden :eek: (just joking!) ...

here's some inspiration for a color scheme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAaHuvO050

That's perfect! thanks man!

Paint it up like that first picture! That one looks really good!!!!!!

I think I wouldn't want to crash it if I painted it like that, lol!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Looks like airbrush...paint the flag and add a few well placed shadows and highlights with white and black

Flynn

Hey guys,

So, I got a chance to maiden it this weekend! I did have the "hat cam" running but I should've angled the camera up a bit, so there wasn't much video of it flying. I did grab some screen shots. Anyways, it was kinda gusty and I had the wrong power pod, but I still gave it a try. When I say the wrong power pod, I mean the lightweight pod with an efficient motor swinging a 10 x 5 prop. I needed full power to fly but I did fly!

With the 4" extension to the fuselage, the rudder seemed very responsive. And just like NewZee suspected, the battery 2200mah needs to go as close to the firewall as possible. The upper wing being larger did make it a bit more twitchy in the wind gusts. So the best part, all three times I landed, it practically came to a complete stop and no nose overs. I have the aleron servos on the top of the wing and no landing gear (yet) so landing on the grass was great.

I can't wait to try it again with a beefier motor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

augernaught

Augernaught
humm.... "wasn't much video of it flying"

please show the video you did get.

I wan't to build a stagger wing from the parts left over from my first YAK AIR-5 build, (thin wing)
and I need all the help and advice I can get to put a second wing on the same air frame........

Team_Monkey

Looks very nice Flynn. the longer tail moment should make it track better once you get the motor/prop worked out.
Was it the wind or was it pitch sensitive? i.e. How accurate is your CG?

Looking forward to an updated, er, more video-y, flight video. :)

NewZee

Flynn... Nice job! isn't it great when something you designed flys!?? Time for some paint and landing gear while your waiting for better weather!

Augernaught ...speaking of missing video We're all still waiting for the maiden video of the YAK AIR-5!

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
This is cool, the original baby blender definitely was a bit stubby. What power setup are you using?