My Basic Low End FPV Setup - Newbie Guide

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hi Guys,

I thought I would share the setup that we are using for FPV. Its worth noting that I did a lot of research and this is what I came up with. Luckily it all works really well together so we never wasted any money. Its also worth noting that my son and I were lucky enough to have won a $100 Hobby King Voucher through the guys at Flite Test. My son was the one that wanted to spend it on FPV Gear. We ended up buying the following gear with the voucher . . so THANK YOU Flite Test :)

Hobby King Bixler - Love this model!
5.8g 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set - Great Value for money would be even better with a Skew Planar & Clover
1/3-inch SONY CCD Video Camera - Cheap One

Obviously the Voucher didn't cover all of the above but it did go towards it all. The other thing people will be curious about it is the fact that we went for the Cheaper Sony camera and not the Better Spec one . . well the reason for this was purely due to the Ratings on the Hobby King Site. Have a read yourself and decide.

Its also worth noting that I'm still running the standard antennas at the moment and range seems fine. The trick is to get the receiver antenna up high.

I'm very happy with the quality from this setup but I did change the lens that came with the camera mainly because I wanted a wide angle lens. So I picked up one of these from eBay - New Board 2.8mm 115° Angle CCTV Security Camera LENS

Watch this video for the difference between the standard len and the ebay one . . Its also worth noting the one from ebay is much heavier as it has a glass lens not plastic.

For an OSD I decided on the Remzibi OSD. I actually purchased this one from ebay and its a copy. I plan on buying another one but this time the original to see how they compare.

I really like this OSD as I love how customizable it is.

Finally this is a video from the HK Camera etc. which gives you an idea how the standard setup works in the real world.

Well that's what we are using at the moment and we don't appear to have wasted any money on this set up. Hope some of you find this helpful.

Best Regards
Paul & Thomas

Attachments

• Cruszbuildinprogress.jpg
    Cruszbuildinprogress.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Cruszrpilots.jpg
    Cruszrpilots.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 260

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi and thanks for sharing! What was the total amount spent? I might try FPV if my teenager economy agrees...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
$63 = 5.8g 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set
$17 = 1/3-inch SONY CCD Video Camera
$5 = Wide Angle Lens
- - - - - - - - - - - -
$85 FPV Gear

and if you want for $100 Remzibi OSD Copy eBay or $120 Remzibi OSD Original

Keep in mind you will need an LCD, Laptop or Goggles to view the video.

Its a lot of fun and well worth it.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks for the shopping list Paul. 63 bucks doesn't sound that bad at all. I might try FPV if my husbandly economy agrees...

Attachments

• DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0011.JPG
    DSCN0011.JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0037.JPG
    DSCN0037.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0038.JPG
    DSCN0038.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0049.JPG
    DSCN0049.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0058.JPG
    DSCN0058.JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0071.JPG
    DSCN0071.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0059.JPG
    DSCN0059.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0035.JPG
    DSCN0035.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 0

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks Guys, I was really surprised with the range of the Video TX/RX system using the standards antennas. In all honesty I expected it to be un usable in its standard configuration but it all seems to work fine. I can't wait to try out the New Antennas on this system and try to fly out a little further :)

Attachments

• DSC_01.jpg
    DSC_01.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_02.jpg
    DSC_02.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_03.jpg
    DSC_03.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_04.jpg
    DSC_04.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_05.jpg
    DSC_05.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_06.jpg
    DSC_06.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_07.jpg
    DSC_07.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_08.jpg
    DSC_08.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_09.jpg
    DSC_09.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_10.jpg
    DSC_10.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_11.jpg
    DSC_11.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_12.jpg
    DSC_12.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_13.jpg
    DSC_13.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_14.jpg
    DSC_14.jpg
    835.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_15.jpg
    DSC_15.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_16.jpg
    DSC_16.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_17.jpg
    DSC_17.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_18.jpg
    DSC_18.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_19.jpg
    DSC_19.jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_20.jpg
    DSC_20.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_21.jpg
    DSC_21.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_22.jpg
    DSC_22.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_23.jpg
    DSC_23.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_24.jpg
    DSC_24.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_25.jpg
    DSC_25.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_26.jpg
    DSC_26.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 1

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Watch these amazing FPV videos! IMO @RCExplorer is the most awesome FPV pilot there is... and not just because he is a Swede...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Just a quick update. This is a video using the same system with a Remzibi OSD system connected.

Attachments

• Bloody Wonder.jpg
    Bloody Wonder.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1
  • Charlie Brown FT FLyer.jpg
    Charlie Brown FT FLyer.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Duwet.jpg
    Duwet.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FT FLyer.jpg
    FT FLyer.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Lakewood FT.jpg
    Lakewood FT.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Nutball and Delta.jpg
    Nutball and Delta.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Simple Soar 2.jpg
    Simple Soar 2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Spitfire.jpg
    Spitfire.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Viggen painted.jpg
    Viggen painted.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1
  • mobius mounts.jpg
    mobius mounts.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 166

BindNFly

Really good set up (i have the same minus the bixler and lenses (i will need both). the quality is good and a great price BUT and its a big BUT since i brought mine the reviews on this product have taken a turn for the worst!!! so read before you buy!!! luckly i got one of the good ones!!! yes i also dont have any googles but i am thinking of trying to build some!!!

Bilbobaker

Is it pretty easy to wire up the OSD?
Perhaps a link to a wiring diagram.
I have nearly everything for my FPV but I don't have the OSD and I think that would really be a nice tool for navigation etc.

Skynet

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You can't combine 2.4 aircraft controls with 2.4 video systems.

Use a different frequency for the video. There's 900mhz, 5.8ghz, as a couple options.

Johntra

Since no one is answering me on the Projects forum ill post here.
The 900 MHz system that was shown on the Simple FPV project.
They posted a link to a 1.2 GHz transmitter but not a receiver, so does that mean that the receiver in the system will receive 1.2 GHz?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Since no one is answering me on the Projects forum ill post here.
The 900 MHz system that was shown on the Simple FPV project.
They posted a link to a 1.2 GHz transmitter but not a receiver, so does that mean that the receiver in the system will receive 1.2 GHz?
I haven't checked the article, but 1.2 GHz Rx will only receive from 1.2 GHz Tx. They might have made a mistake.

RELLIK DEMANON

Hey everyone,
What is the best tx for fpv? It seems to me, a lot of people prefer using 2.4ghz fpv tx and rx for video. I have seen comparison videos all over Youtube. As most of us know, we cannot use the same frequency for controls. It also seems to me that Mostly all new R/C tx's sold now-a-days, have 2.4ghz technology in them. Does anyone else see something wrong with this? I cannot use 900mhz or 1.2ghz/1.3ghz fpv systems personally because I live near a big city and there is always plenty of cellular signals around. I fly in a huge park next to a huge river. I presently own a 5.8Mhz fpv system but the low-interference capabilities of 2.4ghz intrigue me, I only fly short range under a half a mile because I have a 2.4ghz receiver. I guess in a nutshell. I want to switch over to 2.4Mhz for fpv, what R/C tx should I buy for both range and not interfere with video transmission or is dragon link the only solution? thanks

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
There's 900MHz, 1.2GHz, 5.8GHz for FPV systems. If you use 2.4GHz for FPV you would have to find a Tx and Rx that are not on 2.4GHz. You can choose between 27MHz, 35MHz, 72MHz etc

Hi RD

It might be worth looking at the following link;

RCExplorer

Scroll about halfway down the page. David touches on how to increase the range of a 2.4 GHz system. I would love some in depth instructions on how exactly how to do this.

Cheers

DM