My build of my MPCNC with Needle Cutter

Michael9865

Elite member
If I use the SketchUCAM CenterLine Tool how do I set the depth for the hinge line? Also with the same tool how do I add a tab to keep the part in the foam and not laying loose where it may pop out? I have SketchUp 8, 2015, and 2016 all loaded in Windows 10. I have not got my Linux box to run SketchUp with the video card I have. I will be trying a new card hopefully later tonight.

dkj4linux

Elite member
If I use the SketchUCAM CenterLine Tool how do I set the depth for the hinge line? Also with the same tool how do I add a tab to keep the part in the foam and not laying loose where it may pop out? I have SketchUp 8, 2015, and 2016 all loaded in Windows 10. I have not got my Linux box to run SketchUp with the video card I have. I will be trying a new card hopefully later tonight.
Michael,

When you select the centerline or fold tool, simply type in the percentage of depth of cut -- "50" for 50% of the material thickness setting -- and then click on the line to be cut. IIRC you can also use the arrow keys to cycle through preset values.

Tabs aren't generally necessary if cutting thicker materials (6mm or so)... the kerf is so narrow relative to the thickness that things usually stay in place until you lift the waste away at the end of the job.

It's been a while since I set up SU8 on my Linux box but IIRC I got an "unable to initialize OpenGl" message and had to set a registry entry... checkout out https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21290 and see if it helps. -- David

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Michael,

When you select the centerline or fold tool, simply type in the percentage of depth of cut -- "50" for 50% of the material thickness setting -- and then click on the line to be cut. IIRC you can also use the arrow keys to cycle through preset values.

Tabs aren't generally necessary if cutting thicker materials (6mm or so)... the kerf is so narrow relative to the thickness that things usually stay in place until you lift the waste away at the end of the job.

It's been a while since I set up SU8 on my Linux box but IIRC I got an "unable to initialize OpenGl" message and had to set a registry entry... checkout out https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21290 and see if it helps. -- David

David - Bingo!! I knew that I was not seeing something in SketchUCAM that I should be seeing.
On running SketchUp in linux - It will run for a few seconds then the video in the work area freaks out, the video becomes very garbled. I think that the very basic video card is not able to do SketchUp. Thank you for the information.

Michael9865

Elite member
Table is leveled and also got the CNC mounted and moving smoothly. Ready for the electronics to be hooked up and turned on.
Photo May 18, 9 21 54 PM.jpg

That is a 36 inch ruler laying on the table.

dkj4linux

Elite member
Table is leveled and also got the CNC mounted and moving smoothly. Ready for the electronics to be hooked up and turned on.
View attachment 69523

That is a 36 inch ruler laying on the table.

That looks great, Michael. I really like the look of those new corners... and your table! I've thought about printing a set of new corners for my original machine but there's just too much other stuff I should do first. Oh, well... maybe when the new middle assembly is finally tested and available I'll pull the trigger. -- David

Michael9865

Elite member
First Movement has happened. Albeit jogging the X, Y, & Z axis, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

https://youtu.be/sq2CRJum6CY

Repetier not recognizing the G-code from SketchUCAM.

Repetier Errors.png

Should I be using a different program with Linux to send the G-code to the controller board? Suggestions?

RAGII

I am still having a problem with it being a little shaky.

https://youtu.be/LGKJuOid-PE

I am running a rectangle program to see if it will break in. At some points it shakes my whole table.

Try removing the quotes in the commands. I checked my G-code (I use Estlcam) and there were no quotes.

Last edited:

dkj4linux

Elite member
First Movement has happened. Albeit jogging the X, Y, & Z axis, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

https://youtu.be/sq2CRJum6CY

Repetier not recognizing the G-code from SketchUCAM.

View attachment 69628

Should I be using a different program with Linux to send the G-code to the controller board? Suggestions?

Michael,

In SketchUp, go to Tools->Phlatboyz->Options->FeatureOptions and set "Force all...Marlin" to "true". Then follow same path to MachineOptions and set "Comments use...semicolons[false]" to "false". It will then output gcode that is recognizable to Repetier/Marlin... it will put semicolons on each comment line and put the Gxx codes on every line rather than using the "short-form" notation used by more sophisticated gcode interpreters, as shown in your photo. -- David

Last edited:

endfim72

I'm following this thread closely, and really enjoying it. Keep up the good work and keep us filled in on the whole experience! Make some nice deep footprints for me to follow you in. :)

Michael9865

Elite member
endfim72 - Thank you and will do.

I spent an hour today hooking up the belts. I added an eye bolt to maintain the belts tension as it stretches over time.

Belt Tension Bolt.JPG

Any ideas on why SketchUCAM is exporting my Biplane in ultra-micro size? The fuselage should be 22 63/64" long from the top of the firewall to the rear of the fuselage. I am not seeing this problem in the Phlatforum. Thank you!

Screenshot from 2016-05-24 19_23_01.png

dkj4linux

Elite member
endfim72 - Thank you and will do.

I spent an hour today hooking up the belts. I added an eye bolt to maintain the belts tension as it stretches over time.

View attachment 69796

Any ideas on why SketchUCAM is exporting my Biplane in ultra-micro size? The fuselage should be 22 63/64" long from the top of the firewall to the rear of the fuselage. I am not seeing this problem in the Phlatforum. Thank you!

View attachment 69797

Michael,

My guess is that you worked in "inches" in Sketchup and Repetier/Marlin is interpreting things in "millimeters". Being as virtually all 3d printers use metric to describe the working volume, 3d print firmware (Marlin) defaults to that.

I personally find it just as easy to use a metric template in Sketchup... the gcode will then be metric and be properly interpreted by Repetier/Marlin. Is the difference in scale a factor of 25.4? -- David

PS> I think that grid in the Repetier window is 10mm... note that IF it was a 10 inch grid, your plane fits nicely on a 30"x20" piece of DTFB :eek:

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Michael,

My guess is that you worked in "inches" in Sketchup and Repetier/Marlin is interpreting things in "millimeters". Being as virtually all 3d printers use metric to describe the working volume, 3d print firmware (Marlin) defaults to that.

I personally find it just as easy to use a metric template in Sketchup... the gcode will then be metric and be properly interpreted by Repetier/Marlin. Is the difference in scale a factor of 25.4? -- David

PS> I think that grid in the Repetier window is 10mm... note that IF it was a 10 inch grid, your plane fits nicely on a 30"x20" piece of DTFB :eek:

David - Thank you again, you helped me out.

What causes the Z to cycle up and down while cutting a radius? I've watched several youtube videos on SketchUCAM and read a bunch, but this software combo is just giving me fits learning it. This learning curve is as steep as I have encountered, or I am making it harder than it should be. :confused:

Screenshot from 2016-05-25 00:33:57.png

dkj4linux

Elite member
David - Thank you again, you helped me out.

What causes the Z to cycle up and down while cutting a radius? I've watched several youtube videos on SketchUCAM and read a bunch, but this software combo is just giving me fits learning it. This learning curve is as steep as I have encountered, or I am making it harder than it should be. :confused:

View attachment 69826

You're maybe making it harder than it is... but it does take time. As "CAD" goes, SketchUp is quite a bit easier to use and understand than traditional, industrial-grade CAD programs but when the CAM (SketchUCAM) functionality is added it does become a bit more daunting for those not so familiar with what it takes to prepare a drawing for cutting.

Apparently those radii are made up of numerous small line segments/facets -- it's not a smooth curve -- and each line segment begins and ends with a Z-movement. I really haven't done much with SketchUp for a while and don't really remember the rules regarding curves/arcs and adjusting the number of facets used to describe them but I'm sure that's what you are seeing. I know there are times when I cut curves and don't have all the Z-axis movement but I really can't explain why/when. It hurts to think that hard nowadays... :black_eyed: -- David

Last edited:

moebeast

I get the same problem from Sketchucam. Each step it goes forward and cuts back to the end of the last step. The cut time is doubled and the z-axis lead screw will be worn out much faster. I switched to Estlcam and it cuts each line in one pass. I wonder if there is a setting in Sketchucam that will change the direction of the cuts.

Michael9865

Elite member
I get the same problem from Sketchucam. Each step it goes forward and cuts back to the end of the last step. The cut time is doubled and the z-axis lead screw will be worn out much faster. I switched to Estlcam and it cuts each line in one pass. I wonder if there is a setting in Sketchucam that will change the direction of the cuts.

Interesting, thank you for the input moebeast.

Do you still use SketchUp? What is your procedure/steps to go from PDF to G-Code and MPCNC cutting out airplane parts. Does Estlcam work on a Linux platform?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

moebeast

I still use SketchUp on stl files for the 3d printer. For cutting foam, I use Inkscape to convert/modify the pdf plans and then generate the tool paths and gcode in Estlcam. The key was using consistent units to maintain the proper scale between programs. Then I had to play around to get the proper gcode format for Marlin. It was about a month ago, so I don't remember the details.

I don't know about Linux. He doesn't mention it on the webpage. The program is free to try/use. Each time you save a gcode, you have to wait 1 second longer.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've heard some reports of Estlcam working under wine on linux...but I've had no luck getting it going. Only messed around with it one evening though.

Michael9865

Elite member
I've heard some reports of Estlcam working under wine on linux...but I've had no luck getting it going. Only messed around with it one evening though.

I tried to install and use it in Wine, but I can't even get it to open. I didn't get any errors during installation. I am going to try it on my Windows 10 machine now.