My concept for a "Swappable" J3 Cub "Trainer"

lonewolf7717

I love this! One observation, if you simply scaled down a design for this model this may explain why the ailerons look smallish. Full scale planes utilize rudder for coordinated turns. In the rc world it seems as if there is a tendency to oversize ailerons due to the fact a great many of us fly bank and yank (me included). With those properly scaled ailerons, looks like a great opportunity to make a STOL version with flaps. Love watching YouTube vids of full scale J3(s) sticking a 20' or less landing in bizarre locations. Very nice model man!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Seen that one a few times, but it's always fun to watch. I still can't believe that pilot took off after the prop strike! Never ceases to amaze me!

NewZee

I love this! One observation, if you simply scaled down a design for this model this may explain why the ailerons look smallish. Full scale planes utilize rudder for coordinated turns. In the rc world it seems as if there is a tendency to oversize ailerons due to the fact a great many of us fly bank and yank (me included). With those properly scaled ailerons, looks like a great opportunity to make a STOL version with flaps. Love watching YouTube vids of full scale J3(s) sticking a 20' or less landing in bizarre locations. Very nice model man!

Thanks!... I was going after a very docile/stable flyer and I purposely put small alerions on it! I'm still learning and in my limited experience most of my mishaps occured due to too much input! even with expos of 40-50% and throws limited to 70-80%. The short flights Ive done with this Cub shows I still have plenty of "authority".

I plan to post up an article on the build/design (mabe even plans) but Still can't log in to the main page (I can sign in to the forums, and the store, but every time I try to sign in on the main page its says It doesn't regognize me?)

DDSFlyer

Thanks!... I was going after a very docile/stable flyer and I purposely put small alerions on it! I'm still learning and in my limited experience most of my mishaps occured due to too much input! even with expos of 40-50% and throws limited to 70-80%. The short flights Ive done with this Cub shows I still have plenty of "authority".

I plan to post up an article on the build/design (mabe even plans) but Still can't log in to the main page (I can sign in to the forums, and the store, but every time I try to sign in on the main page its says It doesn't regognize me?)

I've started to realize a little bit about expo and I've tried to switch more to dual rates instead. Maiden flights have 60-70% travel and then 100% travel on high rates and adjust from there. Most maidens will determine if you adjust the percentages up or down. Expo will give you more erratic movement if you over adjust to correct it will make it even worse! because at the end of the range the amount of movement will "exponentially" go up...sometimes on maidens I will still go with expo but nothing too crazy.
P.S. I also wondered why your ailerons were so small as well...

Billchuck

Create an account on the main page. I don't think it uses the same account system as the forums or the store.

augernaught

Augernaught
Hey NewZee, did you ever post that article and plans on the site?

You Cub is exactly what I want to build next, and you could save me a ton of work!

Not to mention I live in Niagara Falls and could easily drive down
and pick up a copy or trace of your templates, and I would be happy to pay for your trouble and materials.

NewZee

You Cub is exactly what I want to build next, and you could save me a ton of work!

and pick up a copy or trace of your templates, and I would be happy to pay for your trouble and materials.

No...I haven't been able to post an "article" I'm having trouble wih attaching pictures and videos (I've tried several times), I'm getting a new laptop for Chrismas and I'm hoping a new operating system (windows 8.1 vs old vista) will help. Ill be sure to do an article as soon as I can. In the meantime don't hesitate to ask any questions I'll be glad to help here is the plan I started with, and a picure of my foam temple.
cub.jpg R-T Cub2 (2).JPG

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
NewZee, if you still have the foam template, you could take a photo of it with a ruler next to it and it would be easy to scale the picture so a print off would be actual size. A few alterations to the photo first and it should be really close to regular plans without printing off a bunch of color or gray scale.

Making some detailed plans would make your article that much better. I hope you get it all figured out and the article posted. I know a lot of people will like it and a few will make their own.

augernaught

Augernaught

Your Cub is exactly what I want to build next, and you could save me a ton of work!

Hey NewZee,
did you ever post that article and plans on the site?
Your Cub is exactly what I want to build next, and you could save me a ton of work!

NeeZee, this is not mistake or a problem with the forum!

I want a copy of those plans..........!!!!!!!!!!!
And to be honest, IMHO, so do dozens, if not hundreds of other FliteTest folks,
even on an International level.

Go to this thread and see what Chad can do to help you.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?331-Ask-Chad

You have the skills, and a chance to make a LOT of people happy. :)

I would still pay you for just a trace of your templates,
should you take the time to mail them to me, on my dime.......... LMK

NewZee

Hey NewZee,
did you ever post that article and plans on the site?

NeeZee, this is not mistake or a problem with the forum!

I want a copy of those plans..........!!!!!!!!!!!
And to be honest, IMHO, so do dozens, if not hundreds of other FliteTest folks,
even on an International level.

Go to this thread and see what Chad can do to help you.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?331-Ask-Chad

You have the skills, and a chance to make a LOT of people happy. :)

I would still pay you for just a trace of your templates,
should you take the time to mail them to me, on my dime.......... LMK

Thanks so much for your interest in my Cub design, I sent you a private message, please PM me back and I will try and help you out anyway I can, I will try and post an article again once I get my new computer up and running.
cub 1 (3).JPG cub 3 (2).JPG

Flynn

Thanks so much for your interest in my Cub design, I sent you a private message, please PM me back and I will try and help you out anyway I can, I will try and post an article again once I get my new computer up and running.

NewZee, I'd be willing to lend a hand and help you get things together. PM me. Maybe after the holidays, I know everyones time is limited around this time of year.