My concept for a "Swappable" J3 Cub "Trainer"

NewZee

Hi All,
Well I was inspired by my recent sucess building and maidening my FT Spitfire, so I thought a high wing trainer would be better for me to learn on, I really wasn't keen on the Old Fogey so I came up with this concept for a J3 Cub! It has a 40" wingspan and a 24" length. It will accept the standard power pod. I am using the same construction principles I learned on the Spitfire. Let me know what you think.
R-T Cub 1 (2).JPG R-T Cub2 (2).JPG R-T Cub 4.JPG R-T Cub3.JPG

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Should be a real floater with all that wing up there, but exactly what you want in a cub.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
NewZee,
This is incredible! Now I want one. I always loved the Cub. Are those plans I see? (hint hint). Did you use SketchUp to design? Nice job!

NewZee

NewZee,
This is incredible! Now I want one. I always loved the Cub. Are those plans I see? (hint hint). Did you use SketchUp to design? Nice job!

I didn't use SketchUp, I printed out a picture of a cub plan and scaled up the dimensions off the picture by 4.5 to 1 to get the ballpark dimensions I wanted. I drew it out on a sheet of posterboard and cut it out for my template, had to tweak a few things here and thee to make sure the power pod fit see the first picture to see the power pod location, here is the picture started with, the wing has a 7" cord.
cub.jpg

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I didn't use SketchUp, I printed out a picture of a cub plan and scaled up the dimensions off the picture by 4.5 to 1 to get the ballpark dimensions I wanted. I drew it out on a sheet of posterboard and cut it out for my template, had to tweak a few things here and thee to make sure the power pod fit see the first picture to see the power pod location, here is the picture started with, the wing has a 7" cord.

That's impressive. I don't know if I have the skill to do something like that, but I sure will try.

Mustang7302

Man that looks great. Try to learn SketchUp and make plans for it! Might even be cool to get it to the FT guys and you might be able to sell the plans for a small royalty on each kit sold.

NewZee

Man that looks great. Try to learn SketchUp and make plans for it! Might even be cool to get it to the FT guys and you might be able to sell the plans for a small royalty on each kit sold.

I'll need to download sketchup and play around! I'm not even 100% sure this will fly yet?

NewZee

Awesome Job!! love it

Thanks! I'm working on struts now, since it's a high wing and constructed like the Spitfire wing I don't want to fold it up, so I'm fashioning some wing struts just like the real cubs. I'm using barbeque scewers, and for the "eyelets" to connect to the wing and fuslage I'm trying small ellectrical crimp on connectors that I will glue on I'm hopeful they will take the tension load? I'll post some pics when I get it fiqured out.

I appreciate all the encouragement from all of you! If it turns out good and flys well, I'll do my best to get plans posted so you all can make your own ( from what I see from all your posts you are all talented enough not to need my help).

NewZee

pics of the Cub in paint!

Hi all,
Well the "Cub" is a liitle closer to done with the addition of the classic Yellow (and I do mean YELLOW) paint scheme! how do you like it?
cub 1 (3).JPG cub 2 (3).JPG cub 3 (2).JPG cub 4 (2).JPG