My dad...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Our condolences. It doesn't seem to matter how old they are, or how old we are, we're never ready to lose a parent.

When it hit me the hardest after my Dad passed, was that first Father's Day. I started thinking, "I should call Dad today," before realizing that wasn't an option any longer. It's been over twelve years, and I still wish I could call him.

I used to call him on my way home from the field to tell him what I flew, who I saw, how I did in combat, etc...Can't do that anymore. I'm still getting used to that, and I know it's going to be hard.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
So sorry to hear this. I only just found the thread. Its hard. I've lost some relatives (my great-grandfather, one of the pioneering mission pilots to New Guinea) but I can't imagine my father passing away. Feel very sorry for you, hope your family recover from the shock well.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@sproutz , Thanks to @flyingkelpie I saw this thread. As with everyone here, I too am sorry for the loss of one man who impacted your life in ways you are now acutely aware of and, I suspect, are still only getting to understand.

I really wish to thank you for sharing the story. And the Take pictures you have and write down the memories that go with them. For later.

sprzout

Mentor
Thanks guys. This past weekend was hard; I took a lot of his planes and old equipment to the field and donated them.

I’ve moved from the sad to angry stage, though. I set stuff out - several kits that he’d never finished - and saw several people who I KNOW aren’t builders grab them. I found them on eBay later.

I’m going to tell them if I see them that’s not the intent for which I donated them and GAVE them away.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks guys. This past weekend was hard; I took a lot of his planes and old equipment to the field and donated them.

I’ve moved from the sad to angry stage, though. I set stuff out - several kits that he’d never finished - and saw several people who I KNOW aren’t builders grab them. I found them on eBay later.

I’m going to tell them if I see them that’s not the intent for which I donated them and GAVE them away.
That's just wrong, I would be demanding them back or finish building it and I want to see you fly it.

Taildragger

Legendary member

Honestly, some people :rolleyes: I would have built those kits and kept those planes nice and pretty.

sprzout

Mentor
Honestly, some people :rolleyes: I would have built those kits and kept those planes nice and pretty.

I didn't have the skills, time, patience, or area to put those kits together. And, they weren't things that I would have built and flown (for example, a SIG 1909 Demoiselle, or a SIG 1910 Deperdussin). But I didn't intend for the people who took them to put them up for sale to profit off of my pain.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I used to call him on my way home from the field to tell him what I flew, who I saw, how I did in combat, etc...Can't do that anymore. I'm still getting used to that, and I know it's going to be hard.
Depends on what you believe about the next life, afterlife, or whatever...

My father died when I was pretty young in his private plane on our ranch. I was born with the same love of aviation and I've felt his spirt with me more than once in hard times as well as happy times. The ones we love may no longer be with us, but they are not gone...

sprzout

Mentor
Depends on what you believe about the next life, afterlife, or whatever...

My father died when I was pretty young in his private plane on our ranch. I was born with the same love of aviation and I've felt his spirt with me more than once in hard times as well as happy times. The ones we love may no longer be with us, but they are not gone...

I know, I still have his memories. But he's no longer around to talk back to me and ask things about what's going in the club, who's flying what, how I did, that sort of thing. I try to do it with my wife, but I know her eyes are glazing over.