My emax skyline 32 doesnt seem to default to acro mode when none other is selected

I've been flying a quad for about 6 months on and off, down the park on a free afternoon, I started in horizon mode line of sight till i could do some simple moving and had the feel for my quad. i then changed to what i thought was acro mode. and started getting the hang of that, line of sight. i then purchased my fpv gear and have been giving it a shot in what i thought was acro mode. slowly getting the hang of it. i decided to try a simulator, i recreated my quad in hotprops as much as i could. i started trying rolls and flips in the sim and am now "pretty good". i decided to try a roll on my real quad line of sight and it wouldn't go past about 50 degrees. and it crashed, i tried again the next week after updating my firmware and checking that there was no other mode selected in cleanflight. and it all looked good to go. so i tried again and again only 50 degrees at most.
Anybody know why this might be?

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
Have you tried increasing your rates on pitch and roll? (Heads up, drastically changing rates will jack your pids up, but it's necessary for Acro). What's your setup? Motors, esc's, frame, battery (3or4s?) props and firmware?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
You can flip in horizon mode. Horizon does not prevent you from rolling or flipping, it simply returns you to level when you return the sticks to center.

I concur with Habakkukk. Your rates are likely too low.

I decided for my first quad to go emax, so i ave an emax 250 nighthawk frame, emax 2204 2300kv motors, emax blheli 12A ESC(i have an esc programmer but i am having issues with changing the firmware on them, i'm changing the firmware because some have different versions, but that's for another thread.) tattu 1800mha 45c 20wh 3s battery. 6030 plastic props.planet t5 controller(need to upgrade) and a planet r6m receiver. I need to sort out my PIDs (dont fully understand them) ill give changing the rates a shot, thanks. also when i was in horizon mode i found that it wouldn't let me go past about 30 degrees.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I ran a skyline 32 advanced when I first started and I had all 3 flight modes set up on the mode switch. It all worked perfectly. For that FC to use acro mode nothing can be set for Angle or Horizon modes.

For a 3 position switch I did position 0 for Angle position 1 for Horizon and position 2 for acro. In clean flight I set angle to be in the range of 1000 - 1200 on aux 2, horizon was set to 1400 -1600 range on aux 2 and nothing in the 1800-2000 range on aux 2 for the acro setting to be effective.

For a 2 position switch set angle or Horizon mode to 1000 - 1400 on what ever aux channel you assigned to that switch and leave the rest unassigned for accro. If you want the switch to work the opposite with acro on low position set the other flight mode to 1600-2000.

You can tighten those numbers up if you want they are just a range that should cover each position without over lap.

I ran a skyline 32 advanced when I first started and I had all 3 flight modes set up on the mode switch. It all worked perfectly. For that FC to use acro mode nothing can be set for Angle or Horizon modes.

For a 3 position switch I did position 0 for Angle position 1 for Horizon and position 2 for acro. In clean flight I set angle to be in the range of 1000 - 1200 on aux 2, horizon was set to 1400 -1600 range on aux 2 and nothing in the 1800-2000 range on aux 2 for the acro setting to be effective.

For a 2 position switch set angle or Horizon mode to 1000 - 1400 on what ever aux channel you assigned to that switch and leave the rest unassigned for accro. If you want the switch to work the opposite with acro on low position set the other flight mode to 1600-2000.

You can tighten those numbers up if you want they are just a range that should cover each position without over lap.

Unfortunately i only have a single 2 pole switch on my controller that i use for failsafe. im looking at an upgrade. any idead on one that cheaper than 80$, like the flysky fs i6 m2.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Unfortunately i only have a single 2 pole switch on my controller that i use for failsafe. im looking at an upgrade. any idead on one that cheaper than 80$, like the flysky fs i6 m2.

Your transmitter affects every flight on every craft. If you go cheap on a plane it's just that one plane. You can upgrade later. With a transmitter, if you go cheap everything you fly is impacted. That said, transmitters aren't cheap.

The Turnigy 9X at <> $60 probably offers the best bang for the buck for a newbie. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and the gimbals aren't great but it will work and it will fly a TON of planes. You can mod this later with an X9D radio module and make it compatible with FrSky.

The popular transmitter is the FrSky Taranis Plus. It's a $210 radio and will take a long time for you to master and outgrow. It will store all your models, is infinitely tweakable, has decent gimbals and lots of switches.

Both are well supported and you will find lots of people using them here and on RCGroups to fly just about anything.

I managed to do a barrel roll and both flips after increasing my rates. so thank you all.I also just went out to my local RC hobby store and bought a Spektrum DX6i and an AR610(the best they had), hooked up the transmitter and it works great. can only set up one switch though it has 6, how do i set them up?