My ESC and motor Are behaving very strangely

Fezmo

Hey just wanted to put up a post on here to try an get some help trouble shooting some problems I'm having with my esc motor and combo.

I'
IMG_20200430_215516.jpg
m looking to make a plane with some of my old unused quad equipment

I'm using a 2207 brushless motor and a 20A Bl heli esc, i have just connected the motor and esc directly to my receiver Via a PDB using the 5v and the motor power ports (as i wasn't sure if my esc had a BEC to keep the magic smoke in). Photo below

When i plug my battery in the receiver powers up fine and the esc makes the starting tones and the arming tones however (this is where it gets weird)
the motor will only begin to spin when my throttle trim is at its lowest setting and when it does spin it spins very slowly (and smoothly) and any input on my TX (pitch, roll, yaw and throttle) causes the motor to Judder pretty violently like an aggressive toothbrush but it still wont actually spin up properly it just increases the amount it judders based on how much control input it receives on either sticks.

I'm completely boggled by this and may just order a new esc Specifically for planes any help with this strange issue would be greatly appreciated

Winston1203

well, i could be several issues, the propeller shaft might be bent, that might explain the shaking but it might also be the fact that you didn't calibrate your ESC. anyway, I'm not a professional so you might want to confront someone else.

Fezmo

well, i could be several issues, the propeller shaft might be bent, that might explain the shaking but it might also be the fact that you didn't calibrate your ESC. anyway, I'm not a professional so you might want to confront someone else.
Ive tested The motor and it spins smoothly in my hand with no binding or signs of any damage so the esc may need to be calibrated but that still does not explain both sticks being able to effect the motor
Thanks for your help though :)

CustomRCMods

Elite member
do you have a seperate esc/motor setup to test the components individually? that is how you are gonna find your problem.

Fezmo

The throttle channel on an iA6B receiver is channel 3!
So i did initially test using channel 3 and i can only get the motor to spin using channel one which i found V odd in Channel 3 it wont even make the arming tones

Fezmo

Ive had Success ! I thought id post up what i did to solve this problem just incase anybody else makes the same mistakes i have.

It turns out my receiver was in a PPM send only mode which means that it would not send any pwm values through the other channels only
ppm through channel one. (this is why all my other channels seemed "dead")

This receiver was used on a quadcopter last (hence ppm only) i simply went into my flysky i6 and turned the ppm output off this returned the

individual pwm signals back to there channels and i can now get full throttle control on channel 3 without any interference!! (silly me)

Thanks to everybody who quickly jumped on this thread as it helped me trouble shoot the problem quickly now time to build some planes with all these spare escs and motors !!!