My favorite plane is.....

baronbernie

Many people have mentioned that their favorite plane is ......, but never said why!

My favorite plane is the Great Planes Pluma. And the reason for this is because it flies the way I like flying, SLOW. Plus the air brakes makes the plane slower. The oversized rudder, elerons and upper and lower ailerons help also.

My favorite flite test planes are the FT Flyer and the FT Old Fogey for mostly the same reason. Fast flying scares me with little to no time to think and react. For me, doing things quickly or fast has produced many more problems than good results weather it be building or flying.

propeller.JPG

earthsciteach

Is this a build you have going?

My favorite plane has to still be my modded Hobby Zone Super Cub. It just keeps going, is fun to fly, and can do all sorts of silly things like drop Nerf footballs and flower bombs. Never mind that the fuselage is currently in two pieces. A bit of glue and she'll be soaring with the eagles, again!

aiidanwings

Kind of a three way tie.

I really like the Dynam T-28. It wasn't so great out of the box, but after changing the prop to an APC 12x4 slow fly (stock prop was no-go with a three cell battery), and installing stronger landing gear wire with Oleo legs, it's great! Slow flying, fast flying, aerobatics, mild 3D.. and it's easy to access the battery. Eventually, it will get LED's that can actually bee seen.

**Stock photo from the interwebs**

The ASK is really fun. It's cool to watch it climb in a thermal, and circle with the buzzards. I cal this one The Frog because it sounds like a really desperate frog.

Then there is the Sierra. It just won't die.

It's grounded until I get around to making a new elevator. It wasn't sealed good, and the covering pealed off in the rain.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
My favorite plane at the moment is the PZ VisionAire. 1- Fits in the back window of my car. 2- are good for all weathers. 3- 2*5 minutes flight on a battery. 4- flyes "lika a dream" according to those who watch.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Currently flying plane? My scratch built 137% (48" WS) funder and lightning with built-up fuselage and airfoiled wings. Super light so it glides forever. With a 1250kv motor, 8x6 prop, and a 4S battery she also screams down the runway. Loads of fun for a bank and yank model made from $tree foam.

Favorite plane in the hangar? My scratch build (in-progress) 60" wingspan Curtis SB2C-4 Helldiver.

Favorite plane to fly on special occasions? O-1 Tummelisa from Aerodrome RC laser cut kit. 52" WS powered by Tacon bigfoot 25 swinging a Xoar 16x6 scimitar prop on 3S. Stunningly pretty plane that flyies as well as she looks. I still have to master landings though.

I love all my planes but these categories really nail it down for me.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
E-hawk 1500. It's been put away for the winter, but every time I pull it out I'm amazed by how nice it is to fly. Reasonably aerobatic for a glider too but super light on its feet (wings).

tramsgar

PKZ Icon A5, because it's an awesome seaplane that's both easy and a challenge to fly. Did I mention it's awesome and a seaplane?

DSC_6792.jpg DSC_6805.jpg

tramsgar

I hope to get my Catalina in the wet soon. Ive never flown it from the water, any pointers?

Without knowing anything about your model (only having seen it in full scale), I think I can only relay a few things on this kind of plane: On take off you obviously go against the wind, so waves will splash over it. It must take that without leaking or burying the nose. If you don't have a sea rudder, it may tend to turn into, or from, the wind very easily. The best way to land an A5 is to go slow close to the water, then finally add elevator to make it stall and splash down. Speed = bounces. Might apply to the Catalina too. You want the motors to contra-rotate to take out any torque or it'll dip a wing tip when taxiing. Waterproof everything =). Oh, and always stay far away from Soviet territory.

baronbernie

A while ago I ordered the Baby Blender 2, built the fuselage and set it aside. The next morning I found it crushed as my cat sat on it as he was looking for a new place to play and sleep. Luckely the wings were not built yet and safe. This now gives me the oppertunity to try out an idea I have had for some time. Combining the BB double wings and the FT 3D fuselage with a few parts I had packed away waiting to be used! I have no idea what to call it but for now this is my favorite plane!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
A while ago I ordered the Baby Blender 2, built the fuselage and set it aside. The next morning I found it crushed as my cat sat on it as he was looking for a new place to play and sleep. Luckely the wings were not built yet and safe. This now gives me the oppertunity to try out an idea I have had for some time. Combining the BB double wings and the FT 3D fuselage with a few parts I had packed away waiting to be used! I have no idea what to call it but for now this is my favorite plane!

Pictures :)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
EST Yeah, I went thermaling in a Blanik L-23 300px-Blanik_3_a.jpg

I didn't get to go up in the ASK, but I had been in the ASK 5 times prior to that.
I was only on my 6th flight, but I was able to chase down a dg 505!!!

randall_l

My favourite plane is...

It depends on what mood I'm in.

When I'm feeling adventurous and want to try something I've seen on a video, my modified Old Fogey is my favourite. Why? Because it's the perfect mix of stability and agility. I know that I can (if I really try) fly inverted and all sorts of aerobatics--but if I put it in a 'death spiral' and let go of the sticks, it will level out and fly straight.

If I feel the need for speed, my MiG 7 is the one. I'm still waiting for the coincidence of my flying and my wife going to the park with my daughter so I can get her to film it (and operate the HK doppler app), but it's darn quick.

If I need a little peace and quiet, my modular glider is my favourite. Just me, my glider and mother nature.

I'm sure that as I build other planes, I'll have other favourites--for other reasons.

Cheers!
Randall

baronbernie

Still having a few planes on the back burner, a new plane is being created. Using the FT Flyer (my all time favorite) plane, I am attempting to add a steerable nose wheel to it and for now to keep my orientaton sharp, in both when the plane is going away from me and coming back. What to give a thanx shout out to Ryan for giveing me direction in this modificaton. Thanx Ryan!