My first 450 flight!

NickRehm

About 3-4 weeks ago I met up with 2 fellow rc fanatics and we had a little indoor heli fly in you cold say :rolleyes:
One of the guys there who was really big into helis let me fly his metal exi 450 before maidening mine so I knew what flying one felt like. It started out with a couple of jumps off the ground until I could hover in place for more than a minute. That's when I finally broke out my exi plastic 450 and gave it a shot. She took right off on the maiden no problems at all! Even the gyro was set right on!

That flight was in normal mode- No idle up just yet lol! My buddy did let me try a few flights in idle up on his heli though which was fun.
But recently my motor's been having some problems. She's grounded for now until I can get a replacement motor. The current one is stuttering when I pump the throttle... Weird.

Anyway, besides like 5 minutes of stick time on an mcpx, this is my first cp flight. I've had the blade 120sr for about 6 months and practiced heavily on that beforehand

Chrysis

First off, congrats on your first CP flight! From here on now you won't be going back to Fixed Pitch or Co-Axial - No pitch, no fun! :p

The mcpx is a great learning tool, virtually indestructible, but imho gets boring once you get more and more comfortable with the 450 size.

Investing in a sim, like Phoenix RC (currently on v4) is highly recommended, not only to speed up the learning process but also to keep you wallet from turning into a black hole. God know how many times, the stick time on the sim saved my helis from dumb-thumbing your shiny heli into the ground/tree/wall what have you.

dezertdog

Great job man, not everyone "gets" it. :applause: You seem to be a natural.

I'm not sure idle up is a good idea indoors as a newbie anyway, dumping the throttle in a panic doesn't turn it "off"...

You seem to have a good grasp on keeping "in the box", now get comfy with that tail! Left 45*, right 45*, then....nose in!

If you have access to a sim I'd highly recommend it, you'll progress by leaps and bounds every time you get on the real sticks after sim time.