• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My first attempt at a micro...

How long will it stay in the air?

• Total voters

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've not had a micro before, but I thought I'd give building one a go. I didn't use a plan, but wanted something about 40cm wingspan. I drew one out on 3mm depron and hot glued it together. Unfortunately I didn't have any micro gear, so I've used 9g servos, a standard size 20A ESC and the 8ch 9x Rx. To power it I've got a 2205 1400kv motor. It's only about 20g, but the only prop I've got that fits it is a cut down 8x3.8 (to about 7.3x3.8). The smallest battery I've got is a 1000mAh 3s... I've run the calculations through an online tool to calculate wing loading, which comes out to 105g/square dm (33.81oz/square ft). So a little on the heavy side...

I haven't had a test flight yet. Here's hoping the powerhouse is enough to create lift with those tiny wings!

IMG018.jpg IMG021.jpg IMG022.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Looks like fun. I'm not seeing ailerons are you making it 3 channel? If so I would be concerned that there's no dihedral in the wing to make it stable.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hmmm. Yeah, 3 channel was the plan... Maybe I need to add some dihedral... I'm just thinking about another micro 3 channel without dihedral I saw on the weekend... Thanks for the heads up

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
No problem. I haven't seen a successful airplane without either ailerons or a lot of dihedral. If it's got a heavy wing loading, you may end up flying high alpha a lot which may be easier with ailerons. Just a thought.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
It's balanced out pretty well, so I don't think it'll be high alpha too much. Working out how to add dihedral with undercambered wings now...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've added dihedral by cutting a little out of the base of the wing. Glydr decorated it for me tonight, which indicates what he thinks of it... I must admit, I don't have high hopes for it, but now I won't look the silliest if this thing defies gravity! I'll take a couple of photos in the morning.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
. Glydr decorated it for me tonight, which indicates what he thinks of it
I'm still laughing!

:)

I hope that our foreign flite-brethren appreciate the Aussie 'banter' culture. That is should one person should stand out having performed something foolhardy (e.g. refer pictures in post #1) we mercilessly tease in good humour and expect the same back when tables turn against us. It's all friendly! Really!

In any case the aircraft now has a name: "The FAIL"

And ARF has a new meaning: Almost Ready to FAIL.

(I think I feel a T-Shirt coming on).

LM, the only hope you have for you is the design theory applied to this thing:

F104s.jpg

The Canadians called this (the F-104) the "Lawn Dart". Unless it rains before the maiden the stubby nose on "The FAIL" may just snap off rather than dart in!

(Once again, this is good aussie banter - no trolling or bad stuff here! Just ask lobstermash!).

Attachments

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
:applause: It looks slightly heavy... I should aim for 25-50 grams flying wieght for a plane that size.
Looks like you have built a canard by the wing profile.
Don´t forget to video the maiden and add a poll with choices of first flight time
O - less than 2 sec
O - 2-10 sec
O - > 10 sec

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I think I might take pgerts' suggestion and start a poll! I've got a couple of days until the maiden. I could try and 'fix' it by putting on a new wing(s). Making it a bipe, with 2x50cm wings, would pull the loading down to 35g/sq.dm and stall speed to 27km/h, and wouldn't render the tailplane useless...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
PS, I don't mind sacrificing the plane as it is to generate humour! Let me know if I should try and fix it, or shame myself with the poll and a youtube vid :) Either way...

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
PS, I don't mind sacrificing the plane as it is to generate humour! Let me know if I should try and fix it, or shame myself with the poll and a youtube vid :) Either way...
Humour is fine!
It will be even better with i biplane or triplane or "quadplane".
Try to borrow a 500 mAh 3cell go get down the weight a little more.
A small plane like that is hard to fly but with less wingloading and speed it might get better.
Dont forget to add a pilot.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I haven't added any more wings or decorations... But here's a close up of each flightless bird:

IMG027.jpg IMG030.jpg

You'll have to check with the artist as to what they are... ;)