• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My first attempt at painting a Flite Test Plane

#1
So, I thought I’d share what I’ve been working on the last few days. I downloaded the free plans and built this last spring and now that schools out I had some time to finally try painting. I didn’t really try to recreate any particular historical plane, but just used reference pictures to get the basic jist of what I thought would look cool in the air.

6FF61E87-DBA6-4567-A0B1-1EC3A5E56C8E.jpeg

6067A64D-80D9-4803-8F2D-148855BE03D2.jpeg
 

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
#5
That looks like it have just enough detail and crisp lines. Great work!

Please describe the process and the paint used. Did you get the weight before and after? Did it present problems balancing it? Do you have a pic of the specific livery? This is to help others (me).
 
#8
That looks like it have just enough detail and crisp lines. Great work!

Please describe the process and the paint used. Did you get the weight before and after? Did it present problems balancing it? Do you have a pic of the specific livery? This is to help others (me).
Thanks! I used rattle can paints from Walmart along with some craft paints. I used lots of 3M delicate release painters tape for the lines with lots of careful patients. The underside didn’t come off as clean because I used a different 3M masking tape and I had to do lots of clean up work. I haven’t done my weights since painting. It did balance correctly before painting though so hopefully it’s fairly close. As for the livery I didn’t use and specific, but blended several different looks based on what I thought would look cool. Ill include the one I used most as I printed it and cut and pasted the numbers and stars for the fuselage and wings from it. It’s been a fun process so far. I have the mini Corsair built and base coated. It will be my next project. 71D71DC7-147E-45E0-9416-1194DDC7494B.jpeg