My first build - a (modified) MUTTS

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sorry lads I slept in!
When looking at the front of the plane the standard prop rotation is called CCW, (Counter Clockwise). This would normally require a side thrust angle to the "Right" when viewed from behind the plane due to the spiral of airflow generated by the prop and of course a CW prop would cause the airflow to spiral in the opposite direction and so would require "Left thrust". With the mutts at low kV motors the requirement is lessened considerably.

As for the pushrods I used "MIG" welding wire in some plastic tubing which is used to reduce the wire flexing when fitting the servos forward and inside the fuselage. On my version of the MUTTS I mounted the servos close to the control surfaces and used straightened paperclips as pushrods. I mounted them by cutting a servo sized hole in the fuselage at the required location and then, after running the wires, I glued them in place with a little hotmelt glue!

I hot that helps clarify things!

Have fun!

Last edited:

messyhead

I've ordered all the electronics and control wires, so I should get them this week.

Then I started looking at chargers, and reading about battery safety. It seems like a minefield. Any recommendations for a 2-3s charger?

messyhead

I hate waiting for stuff to arrive. I should have everything apart from the charger by Wednesday.

The charger is on it's way from China, and looking like it's come by carrier pigeon by the arrival date 😩

SmartSelect_20190422-115813_Gmail.jpg

messyhead

I built one wing tonight. But just as I'd finished it, I noticed the leading edge had peeled away from the paper at one end 😩

I bought some vinyl tape that I planned to cover the plane with, so I hope I can use this to hold it together. I think trying to glue it will be too messy.

20190422_235800.jpg

I practiced with the tape on a scrap surface and it goes on well.

20190422_235951.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I built one wing tonight. But just as I'd finished it, I noticed the leading edge had peeled away from the paper at one end 😩

I bought some vinyl tape that I planned to cover the plane with, so I hope I can use this to hold it together. I think trying to glue it will be too messy.

View attachment 129694

I practiced with the tape on a scrap surface and it goes on well.

View attachment 129695
Normally I cover the LE fold line with clear packing tape and rub it into the paper before folding up the wing. This adds additional strength to the paper at the fold line especially if you get a little deep with the blade when scoring or cutting the bevels.

The tiny tear will not make much difference BUT you need to ensure that the tear does not get any bigger!

have fun!

jross

I bought some vinyl tape that I planned to cover the plane with, so I hope I can use this to hold it together.
I started building planes in December and due to the fact it was too cold to paint in my unheated shop, I used coloured tape. It does a good job of protecting the plane from general wear and tear but is amazing at holding things together when crashes happen. I use heavy duty packing tape on the bottom of belly landers and for areas I think might have added stress like the tail on the explorer. If I'm using it structurally, I sometimes hit it with a laminating iron to get it sealed down hard. Takes a bit of practice to lay it down nice but even if it's not perfect, it looks great when it's flying. I certainly can't see the imperfections from a few hundred feet.

I try and tape as much as I can when the foam is flat and in pieces. When assembled, I go around unfinished corners with more tape to seal it up. I got a bunch of rolls of different colours from Banggood for less than 2 bucks a role.

messyhead

That's all the surfaces now built, and just placed together. Electronics and control rods all arrive tomorrow, so I can fit them and then glue everything in place. I've got yellow tape for the fuselage.

I'm not going to put undercarriage on this one yet, it'll just be hand launched. I might add it on later.

20190424_021220.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That's all the surfaces now built, and just placed together. Electronics and control rods all arrive tomorrow, so I can fit them and then glue everything in place. I've got yellow tape for the fuselage.

I'm not going to put undercarriage on this one yet, it'll just be hand launched. I might add it on later.

View attachment 129772
When you get around to fitting the control horns for the Flaps there is a trick to get greater deflection than around 20 degrees! If you put the control horn on backwards, (the sloping edge facing forward you can get more than enough flap deflection or alternately fit the control horn away from the hinge line a little further than normal as this will also give greater deflection range.

Have fun!

jross

I've got yellow tape for the fuselage.
Lookin' good!

Not to be anal but figure if you're using tape, build on it's advantages. Run the tape the other way on wings like you did on the horizontal stabilizer when you build your next plane. Will it affect how the plane flies? No. But running the tape along the length of the wing top and bottom will make it very resilient. I always add an extra layer of tape on the leading edge of the wing. Crazy how well cheap packing tape can protect, waterproof and reinforce foam planes.

Last edited:

messyhead

Lookin' good!

Not to be anal but figure if you're using tape, build on it's advantages. Run the tape the other way on wings like you did on the horizontal stabilizer when you build your next plane. Will it affect how the plane flies? No. But running the tape along the length of the wing top and bottom will make it very resilient. I always add an extra layer of tape on the leading edge of the wing. Crazy how well cheap packing tape can protect, waterproof and reinforce foam planes.

I thought about doing it along the wing, but I couldn't get it to go on straight, so using shorter strips across the wing seemed easier. I do intend to do an extra layer along the edges.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I thought about doing it along the wing, but I couldn't get it to go on straight, so using shorter strips across the wing seemed easier. I do intend to do an extra layer along the edges.
If you want to add tape for strength add a reinforced tape along the LE to improve impact resistance. It is easy if you use the LE fold as the centre of the tape as you peel it off of the reel or spool.

Works for me!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member

View attachment 129772
Looks good buddy, waiting to see your maiden of it.