My first build - a (modified) MUTTS

jross

I'll dig around when I get home and figure out where I bought mine. Price wasn't too bad. Think it was a couple bucks a roll.

messyhead

Yay! Stuff arrived. Although I forgot to order something to secure the prop to the motor. Oops.

20190424_184335.jpg

messyhead

Well, that's the build done. I've still to squeeze in the electronics inside, but I'll work that out tomorrow

I'm slightly concerned about the tail as it's got a bit of a horizontal twist, so it's not completely level. I think I'm going to have to cut it off and put it on straight.

It's won't be the prettiest plane that ever flew, but I'm sure it'll look good from 100 feet away. I got a nice accidental gradient with the tape on the wing, so it scores style points for that 😄

20190427_003342.jpg 20190427_003356.jpg 20190427_012305.jpg 20190427_012237.jpg 20190427_012217.jpg 20190427_012949.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well, that's the build done. I've still to squeeze in the electronics inside, but I'll work that out tomorrow

I'm slightly concerned about the tail as it's got a bit of a horizontal twist, so it's not completely level. I think I'm going to have to cut it off and put it on straight.

It's won't be the prettiest plane that ever flew, but I'm sure it'll look good from 100 feet away. I got a nice accidental gradient with the tape on the wing, so it scores style points for that 😄

View attachment 130002 View attachment 130003 View attachment 130004 View attachment 130005 View attachment 130006 View attachment 130007
If I end up with a tail that is twisted and it is for my personal usage I normally just apply a shim under the main wing on one side to make the wing the same as the tail. Mind you if the warp is serious I just build a replacement. A paddlepop stick on the left side of the fuselage where the wing sits will reduce of almost eliminate the different wing/tail angles so that your maiden can proceed! If you crash it then your next one will be a lot straighter!

It works for me!

have fun!

messyhead

If I end up with a tail that is twisted and it is for my personal usage I normally just apply a shim under the main wing on one side to make the wing the same as the tail. Mind you if the warp is serious I just build a replacement. A paddlepop stick on the left side of the fuselage where the wing sits will reduce of almost eliminate the different wing/tail angles so that your maiden can proceed! If you crash it then your next one will be a lot straighter!

It works for me!

have fun!

Thanks, I'll try that. Would that be the left side looking from the front or back?

I need to wait on my local model shop getting in a prop adapter during the week, then it's ready for a maiden. However I think I'll get another battery, and the charger won't arrive for a couple more weeks.

I set up dual rates on it this morning, though I haven't added any expo. I'm not sure whether I should.

I also weighed it, and it's 0.6kg, I expected it to be heavier. Is that heavy?

I also had a thought this morning when I was talking to my son about it. I've built it as a 4ch. But never flown an rc plane before. Could it still be flown as a 3ch if I swap the controls over, until we're used to it, or should I just bite the bullet and fly 4ch?

How much difference is there between flying 3ch and 4ch?

We've been practicing on Phoenix.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks, I'll try that. Would that be the left side looking from the front or back?

I need to wait on my local model shop getting in a prop adapter during the week, then it's ready for a maiden. However I think I'll get another battery, and the charger won't arrive for a couple more weeks.

I set up dual rates on it this morning, though I haven't added any expo. I'm not sure whether I should.

I also weighed it, and it's 0.6kg, I expected it to be heavier. Is that heavy?

I also had a thought this morning when I was talking to my son about it. I've built it as a 4ch. But never flown an rc plane before. Could it still be flown as a 3ch if I swap the controls over, until we're used to it, or should I just bite the bullet and fly 4ch?

How much difference is there between flying 3ch and 4ch?

We've been practicing on Phoenix.
If you use the tail as the reference line, (horizontal stabilizer), then the stick would go under the wing that is lowest. To lift the low side wing so that it is closer to the same as the tail.

Expo is very highly recommended about 30% as the ailerons are somewhat large and can be powerful at speed.

The weight is heavier than the TT as the wing and motor are larger. The wing can easily lift around 1Kg at reasonably slow speed so 600Grams is actually quite reasonable.

As for your setup you can fly it using aileron and elevator only and it will be quite good. IF you have no dihedral you must use ailerons! If you do have a reasonable amount of dihedral then, (and only then), you can fly it on rudder and elevator!

You are best setting it up with 4 channels so you can experiment with rudder effect after you get a bit used to it!

Only real tip is not to try and fly it at full throttle at take off as the power can be large and the wing needs some speed for the ailerons to work properly. A slow speed launch at full throttle could cause it to spiral into the ground.

Take it easy and let the wing work and it should be fine!

I fly a mixture of 3 and 4 channel setups and the actual difference is minimal with slow flying planes UNLESS you try to push them too hard or start trying aerobatics!

Have fun!

messyhead

Thanks for the tips. I'll add some expo to the ailerons as you suggest.

I can't wait to get flying it now.

Also, thanks to everyone's support with my noob questions. This community is great, and so helpful. It's nice to have that when getting into a new hobby. I have a feeling if I went along to my local flying club, I'd get some advice to go by a balsa trainer, or something like that. But the fact I've been able to build this out of foam board, for less than £150 including all the elctronics, has been encouraging.

mayan

Legendary member
@messyhead great job. I'd highly recommend you find how to fix the twist as it will effect your flight. As for the expo I learned flying without and don't recommend it, makes it hard to fly that way :).

messyhead

I got a prop adapter, and fitted the prop. However, I think I've got the wrong prop. With the motor rotating CCW, it's a pusher prop. I bought one that said the rotation direction was to the left, so I thought that would be the right one.

I got the prop adapter from my local shop, and picked up another prop as a spare. But it's 9x6. Just running them in the house, I can feel how much more powerful the 9x6 is compare with the 9x5. I could use it, but it might make the maiden flight a bit...eh.... exciting :D

messyhead

My battery charger just arrived! I wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks. Everything's telling me to go maiden this today :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I got a prop adapter, and fitted the prop. However, I think I've got the wrong prop. With the motor rotating CCW, it's a pusher prop. I bought one that said the rotation direction was to the left, so I thought that would be the right one.

I got the prop adapter from my local shop, and picked up another prop as a spare. But it's 9x6. Just running them in the house, I can feel how much more powerful the 9x6 is compare with the 9x5. I could use it, but it might make the maiden flight a bit...eh.... exciting :D
Just remember that you do not need to run at max throttle!

Have fun!

messyhead

Well, the maiden happened. And it went, well, didn't go well. The controls are really sensitive, so it was pretty twitchy to fly, even managed a loop 😄

I've got the dual rates dialled down, but in hindsight, I should have dialled them down more as I used the FT gauge for the original TT.

I had 2 flights, but the 2nd one ended up in terminal damage to the motor mount.

My son recorded the maiden, although it's not a great video. I'll try and upload it later.

I think I also need to double check the balance point. It was slightly nose down, but I'm not sure if my balance point is too far forward on the wing.

messyhead

I'll need to do some repairs and strengthen a few sections in the nose, but it'll need to wait till next week.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'll need to do some repairs and strengthen a few sections in the nose, but it'll need to wait till next week.
Good you got it into the air but rather sad that it didn't go that well.

The nose down is actually surprising as without the undercarriage the plane should be lighter and even require nose down trim because of the increased lift from the wing.

30% expo is OK if you are experienced but if not so much increase to 40%, (-40% on FlySky).

With the lower weight there is less mass so a reduction of control surface movement might be in order.

If you have a video please up load it as well as any photos you have of the current damage! If there is a specific weakness in the plane especially the nose then it may need to be altered or strengthened.

At least you had a single flight first up which is an achievement beyond that achieved by many new/inexperienced pilots!

Have fun!