My first build - a (modified) MUTTS

mayan

Legendary member
On the adapter shaft? It's centred on the adapter. It seems like the adapter doesn't go on straight to the motor shaft. I've tried a few times to get it straight, but I also thought the clamp would self centre.
Can you post a picture of it?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
On the adapter shaft? It's centred on the adapter. It seems like the adapter doesn't go on straight to the motor shaft. I've tried a few times to get it straight, but I also thought the clamp would self centre.
Sadly the prop adapters are mostly made of Aluminium and are pretty soft in a crash!, (I have a whole pile of bent ones, [Actually the hole has been stretched almost oval inside], which I will drill out to 4mm when I need a 4mm adapter). If you had a spinner it will work just as well but otherwise buy a new adapter. Be aware that there are a number of sizes available and so if you need to add tail weight i would recommend that you go for a really small one or even a prop saver so that the weight might not be required!

Have fun!

messyhead

Sadly the prop adapters are mostly made of Aluminium and are pretty soft in a crash!, (I have a whole pile of bent ones, [Actually the hole has been stretched almost oval inside], which I will drill out to 4mm when I need a 4mm adapter). If you had a spinner it will work just as well but otherwise buy a new adapter. Be aware that there are a number of sizes available and so if you need to add tail weight i would recommend that you go for a really small one or even a prop saver so that the weight might not be required!

Have fun!

This is new one. It's never been flown. Would the grub screw version be better?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This is new one. It's never been flown. Would the grub screw version be better?
If it is new then run the motor without any prop or adapter and check that the shaft is still straight by holding a skewer or similar against the side of the shaft near the tip and see if the skewer tends to vibrate. It doesn't take much to cause the prop to be obviously out of proper alignment.

Have fun!

messyhead

Flight 2 (and 3) were pretty good. It's my birthday today, so went out this evening. It flew pretty well, and much easier than the maiden. Though something weird happened with the motor at the end, and it stopped. When I got it back, it's like the mootor was stalling when I applied throttle. Eventually after disconnecting the ESC, it started working again.

The 3rd flight wasn't recorded, but it also went well. And I got too cocky, tried a loop, then nose dived when coming out of it and broke the prop. I shouldn't have tried to be so confident, as my son was next to have a go. The power pod is broke with the firewall coming off, and the wing tip also tore. It's all repairable, so the next flight will be with my son at the controls.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Flight 2 (and 3) were pretty good. It's my birthday today, so went out this evening. It flew pretty well, and much easier than the maiden. Though something weird happened with the motor at the end, and it stopped. When I got it back, it's like the mootor was stalling when I applied throttle. Eventually after disconnecting the ESC, it started working again.

The 3rd flight wasn't recorded, but it also went well. And I got too cocky, tried a loop, then nose dived when coming out of it and broke the prop. I shouldn't have tried to be so confident, as my son was next to have a go. The power pod is broke with the firewall coming off, and the wing tip also tore. It's all repairable, so the next flight will be with my son at the controls.

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

What were your control settings and final surface throws?

Still looks like you could use a little more Expo but otherwise nice flight! You fly a lot closer to the ground than I do that is for sure!

You should post a full spec on your version as the original was considerably heavier and was configured for slow take offs and landings whereas your bird seems to almost rocker around the sky!

FYI In the middle of building another for a club member who wants to move on from his standard TT!

Nice to see your success!

Have fun!

messyhead

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

What were your control settings and final surface throws?

Still looks like you could use a little more Expo but otherwise nice flight! You fly a lot closer to the ground than I do that is for sure!

You should post a full spec on your version as the original was considerably heavier and was configured for slow take offs and landings whereas your bird seems to almost rocker around the sky!

FYI In the middle of building another for a club member who wants to move on from his standard TT!

Nice to see your success!

Have fun!

I have the rates and expo both set to 50. It was much less twitchy, but you might be right about the expo on the ailerons.

I knew I was flying too low. On the next flight I went higher, and tries to keep it over 50 feet.

Once I rebuild it, I'll post up the specs.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have the rates and expo both set to 50. It was much less twitchy, but you might be right about the expo on the ailerons.

I knew I was flying too low. On the next flight I went higher, and tries to keep it over 50 feet.

Once I rebuild it, I'll post up the specs.
Perhaps you could reduce the throws mechanically and back off the rates setting. The Expo rate will appear to be much more if the rate percentage is higher! To set throws mechanically to reduce throws use a hole further from the control surface on the control horn OR a hole in the servo arm closer to the servo itself on the output arm OR Both!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

messyhead

I might build the wing again, but I'm tempted to make the fold the full length of the wing as it'll make the tips sturdier.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I might build the wing again, but I'm tempted to make the fold the full length of the wing as it'll make the tips sturdier.
Just be aware that you will lose some lift and increase the wing weight.

The bird may need to fly a little faster than before!

Have fun!

messyhead

I took the rebuilt MUTTS out for another flight today with my son. I changed it to a 3 channel so he could try it, but I had such struggles to get it to turn. I was flying it on a 2s with a 9x5 prop and it seemed to not have enough power. So I changed it to a 3s, and it was better, but turned really well one way, and not so well the other.

I got a few minutes of flight though, then the motor packed in and started doing that stutter thing. Have I burnt out the motor with running it on a 3s?

I keep buying cheapish motors from ebay as I figured I'm going to wreck some while I'm learning. But now I'm thinking maybe it's a false economy and I should just get a decent make, and fly it with the right prop, and it'll last a while.

jross

Have I burnt out the motor with running it on a 3s?
Maybe. Maybe not. More likely your ESC.

I've over propped my little KFM wing and got stutter. Once the ESC cooled off, everything still worked and I propped it down. As simple as changing from a 6x4 to a 6x3. Such a small difference but it flies great on the 6x3.

So maybe try a 9x4 or 9x3. Have you tried to fire it up since the incident?

messyhead

Maybe. Maybe not. More likely your ESC.

I've over propped my little KFM wing and got stutter. Once the ESC cooled off, everything still worked and I propped it down. As simple as changing from a 6x4 to a 6x3. Such a small difference but it flies great on the 6x3.

So maybe try a 9x4 or 9x3. Have you tried to fire it up since the incident?

Yeah, I tried it when I got home. I've got another esc so I'll try it with that...

nope, still doesn't work with the other ESC

jross

Bummer. For future reference, always prop down when you add cells. I run a lot of 3S stuff on 4S but I'm careful about prop choice. Learned my lesson the easy way with no blown up stuff. Sputtered a bit and I brought in down. Was actually a more experienced pilot at our local flying club that pointed it out to me. He was bang on.

You could run an 8 inch prop on that too BTW.

messyhead

I kinda new I was taking a chance, and I let frustration get the better of me. The MUTTS usually has an 8x4 on it. But I was hoping to get my sons TT up and it had a problem. So I used the 9x5 from that. But then the 2s didn't seem to have the power to fly, so I switched to the 3s.