My first build is in a tree (FT Spear) - suggestions for my next build?

GazpachoZen

My goal is to fly fixed wing, FPV, but it doesn't look like I'll have a chance with my Spear for quite some time - it ended up in some trees over the weekend, and it doesn't look like it's coming down any time soon. :-(

Clearly, I'm still learning to fly, so I will want a bird that is somewhat forgiving. I'd also prefer something that kinda looks cool. :)

So what in the FT line should my second build be? Right now, I'm drawn to one of these, but am looking for suggestions and feedback.
  • The VERSA, but to do this I'd need to convert it to a pusher and then figure out how/where to mount the camera and antenna.
  • The Mighty Mini Arrow
  • The Goblin seems to have some potential
  • The FT-22, but it's not obvious if/how it could support a FPV setup
I'm thinking that I'd start the build from the on-line plans and Dollar Store foam while waiting for the powerpack and electronics to arrive.

Oh... and here's a photo of the tree and my Spear.
Capture.PNG
, for those that are curious.

Tdugar

My goal is to fly fixed wing, FPV, but it doesn't look like I'll have a chance with my Spear for quite some time - it ended up in some trees over the weekend, and it doesn't look like it's coming down any time soon. :-(

Clearly, I'm still learning to fly, so I will want a bird that is somewhat forgiving. I'd also prefer something that kinda looks cool. :)

So what in the FT line should my second build be? Right now, I'm drawn to one of these, but am looking for suggestions and feedback.
  • The VERSA, but to do this I'd need to convert it to a pusher and then figure out how/where to mount the camera and antenna.
  • The Mighty Mini Arrow
  • The Goblin seems to have some potential
  • The FT-22, but it's not obvious if/how it could support a FPV setup
I'm thinking that I'd start the build from the on-line plans and Dollar Store foam while waiting for the powerpack and electronics to arrive.

Oh... and here's a photo of the tree and my Spear.
View attachment 136138 , for those that are curious.
I'm sorry to see that. I hope you can get her back soon

GazpachoZen

I'm sorry to see that. I hope you can get her back soon
Oh, it's wedged in there pretty good. When it happened, I waded through a field of poison ivy and tried scaling the tree to shake it loose, but there was no way to get high enough in the tree to make any effect. I'm thinking that it might come down in Autumn, and there will be no bets on how salvageable the electronics will be at that point. Live & learn.

Tdugar

Oh, it's wedged in there pretty good. When it happened, I waded through a field of poison ivy and tried scaling the tree to shake it loose, but there was no way to get high enough in the tree to make any effect. I'm thinking that it might come down in Autumn, and there will be no bets on how salvageable the electronics will be at that point. Live & learn.
Dang that suck but like you said you live and learn. Where I plan to fly doesnt have many trees but I'm a beginner hopefully I wont get myself in trouble. But if I do I hope I can use my mavic to recover it lol itll be the old sting and hook trick I've used to get my buddies plane. That was hilarious but we got it back with a couple scratches and 2 small punctures.

GazpachoZen

I have a Phantom 3, and had debated trying a rescue mission, but the spear is far enough down in the branches that I doubt I'd be able to pull it off. With my luck/skill, I'd probably end up with two drones in the tree.

FDS

Elite member
Try a rope over the top of the tree, attach a water bottle to the end and throw it over the top or use the phantom to lift a lighter line over the top then drag a thicker rope through. If you can get to both sides that’s what I would do.
A “Charpu Stick” aka telescopic window washing pole might also be good?
All the planes you have suggested are not forgiving beginner planes. I would try two things, firstly learn to fly LOS with a simple trainer like the TT, Scout or Cub, then try flying that FPV then get a wing.
ZOHD also sell a great range of PNP foam FPV craft for good prices which can be got with a built in gyro that might be easier to fly than an FT wing but also include FPV from the outset. I would always try learning LOS first to build muscle memory.
Awesome photo, even though it’s annoying.

Last edited:

Tdugar

I have a Phantom 3, and had debated trying a rescue mission, but the spear is far enough down in the branches that I doubt I'd be able to pull it off. With my luck/skill, I'd probably end up with two drones in the tree.
Phantom 3 nice I've had my mavic ever since it came out and I've gotten extremely good at controlling it of course dji makes it pretty easy but it took me about 45 minutes to get it out. I had alot of line so I could land change batteries and try again plus I used the camera to position myself and went fishing then I finally snagged it and jiggled it free. It was a stressful event trust me.

Tdugar

Try a rope you very the top of the tree, attach a water bottle to the end and throw it over the top or use the phantom to lift a lighter line over the top then drag a thicker rope through. If you can get to both sides that’s what I would do.
A “Charpu Stick” aka telescopic window washing pole might also be good?
Now that sounds promising I didnt even think about that.

GazpachoZen

I would try two things, firstly learn to fly LOS with a simple trainer like the TT, Scout or Cub, then try flying that FPV then get a wing.
Good advice. Thanks.

Of the three you mention, which would be best to have FPV on?

GazpachoZen

you could try a couple of pvc pipes put together you will need some help.
I'm about 6' tall. From the photo, I'd guess the drone to be 40' up, and it's a pretty dense set of woods. That would be a really long piece of PVC, and I doubt I'd even have a clear line of sight from underneath. Throwing anything up through the limbs is out of the question, including using a fishing line with sinker, or even a bow and arrow. There's access to the woods from only one side... the trees extend for a fair distance in.

mayan

Legendary member
Out of the 3 I think the cub would be the best for FPV, although not the best option out there.

GazpachoZen

Out of the 3 I think the cub would be the best for FPV, although not the best option out there.
I'm all ears. What would you recommend for a friend, if...
  • ... they wanted to build, not buy
  • ... were on the early side the learning curve for flying (although not a complete novice)
  • ... and wanted a model that could do reasonable FPV (after they've gotten okay at LOS flying)

mayan

Legendary member
  • ... were on the early side the learning curve for flying (although not a complete novice)
  • ... and wanted a model that could do reasonable FPV (after they've gotten okay at LOS flying)
I don't think any of the trainer planes are really good for FPV, I think that the wings would do much better for FPV because the prop wont be in your way, but those are not first planes, in my opinion. One plane that was recently released and promoted as good for FPV but still could be a good trainer is the FT Commuter. Might check that one out.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/collaborators-build-1-800-mm-kfm-flying-wing.54085/

The link is to a FB wing which the club I belong to uses for instruction, combat, and FPV. Simple, robust and a simple build!

Often you can see them cartwheeling up the runway on landing and after a quick dust off, and the fitting a fresh battery, they are immediately relaunched!

Have fun!

Reactions: FDS

GazpachoZen

Oh, heck no. I don't expect to see it again until some time this Autumn, at best. It's wedged in there pretty tight, and there's an ugly web of branches from there all the way down to the ground. I keep checking every day or so, and it's not budged.

Thanks for asking though.