• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My first build, my first flight...

...and my first fiery crash!

Finished my very first build tonight, a FT Nutjob. Of course, I had to go test it out. Since it was dark for 2 hours the only place to go was the high school parking lot. The runway was a little rough, some structural problems with the wheels, but by golly, it lifted into the air like a champ. Then dove hard left into the pavement. Only lost the landing gear and battery came off. Decided what the heck, lets hand launch this sucker. Again, it started beautifully. Gained about 15 ft when it dawned on me I didn't realllly know how to fly. Had a 50% chance on guessing which way the elevators needed to go. Guessed wrong. Kissed the pavement once again. Amazingly, all I lost was the prop.

It was beautiful.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Mentor
Congrats Fladermaus! And a valuable lesson learned -- Planes are really fun right up to the crash!

Do you think it was a "which way do I move the control", or a "which way is the elevator supposed to move" problem?

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Looks like to me my friend that you need: a field repair kit, and a better feel for the airplane, you need to know where it stalls at and be able to recover. And you broke one of my rules: do not fly in the dark without; night vision goggles (just thought of a challenge) or lights on your airplane. However, this being your first flight, I'm sure as you progress you'll become a fine pilot.

The thing about this evening is this, once I finished the build, there was no way I was going to wait until tomorrow to try and fly it even though I knew there was virtually no way I was bringing it home in one piece. That, to me, is one of the beautiful things about scratch building using foam core, bamboo skewers, zip ties, hot glue and cheap electronics. I didn't have dozens of hours or hundreds of dollars worth of equipment invested. I had never attempted to fly a R/C airplane before about 3 hours ago. And yes, Techno, I have no doubt that I broke almost every major rule of intelligent piloting. And the 32 seconds of combined flight time tonight was worth every hour and dollar I put into it. Hell, tonight was nothing more than proof of concept, proving to myself that I could build a plane that could get off the ground. Tomorrow I'll patch it up, put on a new prop, and try again. And now that the power pack is together and working, I'll start building my next plane while I get comfortable flying this one. And I'll build and learn and fly and build and learn and fly for a good many years I hope. Tonight was about that first step and by God, it was a success!

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I may have said you broke all my rules, I never said I wouldn't have done the same. My advice is as follows: Get a field repair kit, learn your plane's behaviors, and keep up that enthusiasm!

Thanks, Techno. And thank you for reminding me that none of this would have been possible without a chance meeting one afternoon with someone who asked me if I'd ever heard of Flite Test. The FT folks and the folks on this forum have contributed hugely to helping me into this hobby.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Mentor
Thanks, Techno. And thank you for reminding me that none of this would have been possible without a chance meeting one afternoon with someone who asked me if I'd ever heard of Flite Test. The FT folks and the folks on this forum have contributed hugely to helping me into this hobby.
You're not alone -- pass along the favor ;)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
It's hard not to be impatient with this hobby. Especially when you first get into it.

Flying is exhilarating. But you (now) know that. :D