My first design - Night Fury

SSgt Duramax

I took it out again and got the gyro and rth set up. The gyro is a little persnickety. @Ratcheeroo sent me some instructions for it that helped a ton. Once I turn the gains down, it will be super relaxing and rock solid. I was having a blast doing low and fast passes and goarounds with it and zooming just over the trees goung 40-50mph. Next step is attaching fpv equipment and finishing the plans. I am printing FPV parts now.

I did accidentally put a low battery in it, and I hit some atheletic equipment and didnt have the juice for a go around. That is why the dent in the nose, but this plane is tougher than I thought it would be.

20220319_185214.jpg

Hey you know what? At a glance: On the next one maybe put those winglets at the same angle as the tail fins. I'm sure they're straight vertical for a reason, but at that angle it might look awesome and still have a portion of the desired effect. :unsure:

SSgt Duramax

Hey you know what? At a glance: On the next one maybe put those winglets at the same angle as the tail fins. I'm sure they're straight vertical for a reason, but at that angle it might look awesome and still have a portion of the desired effect. :unsure:
I thought about doing that actually. More like the 737 scimitar winglets though. I am not sure if I want to do the next one as a conventional tail or keep the V Tail. I think I'll leave it V tail because it works well, and is less drag. There isn't a whole lot of adverse roll when rudder is applied, I mean you have to be looking for it. I think V-Tails get a bad rap.

Heck, this was my first nitro plane. Flew great.

HOR1.jpg

KpeRZ.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Do you all want the forward swept wings, or straight wings? Or do you want straight wings and a template to cut it for forward swept.

The only negative of the forward swept wings is that getting the engines aiming straight is slightly more tough.

This will end up being a 4 sheet build by the way.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Do you all want the forward swept wings, or straight wings? Or do you want straight wings and a template to cut it for forward swept.

The only negative of the forward swept wings is that getting the engines aiming straight is slightly more tough.

Supercharge the plans, both!

SSgt Duramax

I'm about 90% done with plans so far as I finally got time to work on them last night. I am considering some 3D printed motor mounts and a nose (the mounts will come to fruition before the nose, as I am designing the mounts now). Although you don't really need plans, I am also going to write something up to where you can just make the thing with a yardstick.

As far as the swept wing thing goes, instead of making 2 separate plans for the wings, I am going to make a template to put on your wing and you can cut it as you so choose. You could leave them straight, sweep them forward for giggles, or sweep them back. The motor angle needs to change with the wing sweep is all.

I thought I would need undercambered wing tips, but it really doesn't at all, so I won't be including those. It just noses down in a stall and kind of mushes around until the airspeed comes back. I might build my next one with a tapered wing too, we shall see.

Since I am going to be building a new one to do a walkthrough, I plane on maybe trying to implement detachable wing tips and I will most certainly be fully testing the aerobatic qualities of my current one. I have been somewhat easy on it since it has no spar reinforcement, just a 1 inch cube of foam board and gorilla glue.

SSgt Duramax

Ok, here is the beta plans.... the very first plans I have ever made, so obviously they aren't perfect, and I have a thing or two to learn.

If you don't want to waste paper printing the plans, I was going to make a little guide on how to cut the plane without plans. If you all want to go nuts with these, go for it. I plan on rebuilding it and doing a guide later, I just don't know how soon that will be. I think my mig plans will be better.

If someone wants me to send them the svg files, I can do that too.

Attachments

• night fury fuse and wing spars.pdf
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
  • night fury stab, nose, and motor pods.pdf
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
  • night fury wing.pdf
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wing template night fury.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

L Edge

Master member

Would like to see a flight with a forward swept wing with your setup. It's more than getting the motor straight.

SSgt Duramax

Would like to see a flight with a forward swept wing with your setup. It's more than getting the motor straight.
What are you talking about? CG? The forward swept wings allow the plane to handle a higher AoA and not stall. Is there some flight dynamic that my plane is or should be exhibiting you are speaking about that I am unaware of and you didn't mention?

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
What are you talking about? CG? The forward swept wings allow the plane to handle a higher AoA and not stall. Is there some flight dynamic that my plane is or should be exhibiting you are speaking about that I am unaware of and you didn't mention?

All I am saying is I would be interested in what your final vehicle would look in flight. Your the designer.
I explored inward flow going into an EDF, my own FSW design with a fixed canard and my morphing project where a perpendicular wing can be rotated aft 45 degrees or rotated to a forward swept wing of -33 degrees in flight. They say it couldn't be done.
Last, is I am exploring a 45 degree FSW(no fuse) to see if I can get it fly. Think of the problems on that setup. Otherwise, it would have been done.
Flying wings are another very interesting area. Look at all the designs that have been offered on this site to improve stability. Problems still exist.

SSgt Duramax

All I am saying is I would be interested in what your final vehicle would look in flight. Your the designer.
I explored inward flow going into an EDF, my own FSW design with a fixed canard and my morphing project where a perpendicular wing can be rotated aft 45 degrees or rotated to a forward swept wing of -33 degrees in flight. They say it couldn't be done.
Last, is I am exploring a 45 degree FSW(no fuse) to see if I can get it fly. Think of the problems on that setup. Otherwise, it would have been done.
Flying wings are another very interesting area. Look at all the designs that have been offered on this site to improve stability. Problems still exist.
Oh, you are talking about experimental motor angles. Mine are parallel with the direction of flight. I did wonder if having the motors angled slightly out would increase stability, similar to toe out on a car. Im not beyond trying it. I try not to implement 37 things at once, obviously if everything isnt there it woulf have a yaw issue. My winglets are like that though, i really didnt notice anything with them though, but I also didnt do a proper back to back flight.

L Edge

Master member
Oh, you are talking about experimental motor angles. Mine are parallel with the direction of flight. I did wonder if having the motors angled slightly out would increase stability, similar to toe out on a car. Im not beyond trying it. I try not to implement 37 things at once, obviously if everything isnt there it woulf have a yaw issue. My winglets are like that though, i really didnt notice anything with them though, but I also didnt do a proper back to back flight.

Not the motors, the wing itself as you transfer it into a FSW. Want to see what you think and do. That's the fun of exploring rather than build what others do.

SSgt Duramax

Not the motors, the wing itself as you transfer it into a FSW. Want to see what you think and do. That's the fun of exploring rather than build what others do.

That is pretty much the whole reason I did it! When I Do a rebuild, I am going to do a straight wing (or I may just build one anyways and switch them out) just to note the difference. Right now the stall characteristics are excellent, and I would like to know how that changes. I am getting to where I am liking to experiment more.

On a side note, addressing the general thread and build, I flew it with the FPV front end and a little go-pro knock off loaded up in it. The video was shaky, because the gains were still too high on the gyros. Long story short, my FPV nose was entirely too long, so I will be building one that is shorter, and I will make the 3D printed part out of LW-PLA vs standard with lower infill. I had a 4s 2200 mah battery all the way back and it was still pretty nose heavy. It was flyable, but landing was more difficult, and the extra half pound at the plane's extreme front did make landings a little more tough. I could also drop to 3s and still have plenty of power. (The take off where it came straight off the ground was 3s, 4s is just raw power).

The FPV nose isn't posted in the plans yet, and I will post it when I finalize it.