My first flight ever.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Today is a great day. I managed to get everything together for a first flight just before the weather is supposed to get rainy. I have never flown an rc airplane of any kind before and most of the advice i was given, well, I didn't exactly follow. Like start with a largish "trainer" or stay fairly high in the air. things like that. but I have one airplane with all the bits and batteries and gear that was able to fly. (everything else was waiting for some part or other) So my wife and i went to a local park and tossed paper airplanes she had been making for a class and waited for the field to clear. ( wasn't sure how many witnesses i wanted around) I attempted a take off roll. My tyres were too small for the grass. so i then showed my wife how to toss the plane for me and with one hand she did that and the other she pressed record on her phone.

I am happy to say it was fantastic. and it lasted 30 seconds on the dot I think. I stayed low so my mistakes ended the flight early, but i didn't want to end up in someones yard. even so I impressed myself. My crash was in part getting too excited that i was flying and my brain shorted out and i reversed my input as it was coming back at me.

Only one short flight today, the field was starting to fill up with after work dog walkers. the plane survived with only a small dent in the wing tip after it's tumble and ejecting the battery. Again, a great day!
-J

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I had a very good friend with a copy of real flight that gave me plenty of time to get used to flying towards myself. Can't say for sure if I'm going to remember that training once I get in the air this weekend.

Congrats on getting away with just a dent! That's really good!

You're building muscle memory with the sims. :) It's not perfect, but you can at least get the basics down, like "right is left, and left is right" when the plane is coming at you. And you can practice without worrying about crashing and being down for a while until you can repair/rebuild your aircraft. I'd say it helps...

Robyle3

Any pics of the paper planes? My flying journey started with a paper glider my grandfather made for me. I know I spent hours throwing it around the yard :)

My very first flight was with a UMX Pt-17. After about 5-10 flights (for me), it finally felt less like I was reacting to it versus me actually flying it.

What helped me was SPACE.

If you have access to one, an unoccupied baseball field, a soccer field, a kind neighbour with farmland, or even the beach (for gliders) are all great places to fly. Having room to move gives you time to react. I only say this because the park you showed made me feel cramped, haha.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Any pics of the paper planes? My flying journey started with a paper glider my grandfather made for me. I know I spent hours throwing it around the yard :)

My very first flight was with a UMX Pt-17. After about 5-10 flights (for me), it finally felt less like I was reacting to it versus me actually flying it.

What helped me was SPACE.

If you have access to one, an unoccupied baseball field, a soccer field, a kind neighbour with farmland, or even the beach (for gliders) are all great places to fly. Having room to move gives you time to react. I only say this because the park you showed made me feel cramped, haha.

My wife was happy to lay a few out for a photo. She has been getting many books from the library and with her class testing and evaluating many paper airplanes. It started with the more simple and has progressed to the latest that require a bit of cutting and gluing. Most of the test planes have been given away to students or curious children at the various parks we have tested them at. I have been surprised by quite a few that i never thought would fly and again by some I thought should. It has gotten so that she can tell who the designers are for certain ones :) The two latest are up front and represent a recent jump forward from basic origami style folded planes. and fly very well.

paper.jpg

It has been great sharing aspects of this and other hobby's with her. While she was working on these I was a few feet away on the kitchen island wrapping my head around dihedral and anhedral. not a bad day at all

dihedral.jpg

-J

Robyle3

Oh-ho! Those are some pretty little planes you have there! I might make a thread for a couple designs I've memorized over the years. Are the two up front for rubber band launches?
Working around the "'hedrals" is tricky design-wise for sure. But it is a beauty to look at on these two planes:
51zl5y28BlL._AC_SY400_ML2_.jpg 694cqfwphfp11.jpg
The epitomous Corsair, and the lesser-known Mitsubishi Ka-14.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Beautiful planes. My wing will be fit to a bit more of an ugly duckling but I still love it. The ju-87 Stuka.

The paper craft are all intended for hand launch but I suppose could be modified for a more energetic launch. May have to try that.
-J

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Today is a great day. I managed to get everything together for a first flight just before the weather is supposed to get rainy. I have never flown an rc airplane of any kind before and most of the advice i was given, well, I didn't exactly follow. Like start with a largish "trainer" or stay fairly high in the air. things like that. but I have one airplane with all the bits and batteries and gear that was able to fly. (everything else was waiting for some part or other) So my wife and i went to a local park and tossed paper airplanes she had been making for a class and waited for the field to clear. ( wasn't sure how many witnesses i wanted around) I attempted a take off roll. My tyres were too small for the grass. so i then showed my wife how to toss the plane for me and with one hand she did that and the other she pressed record on her phone.

I am happy to say it was fantastic. and it lasted 30 seconds on the dot I think. I stayed low so my mistakes ended the flight early, but i didn't want to end up in someones yard. even so I impressed myself. My crash was in part getting too excited that i was flying and my brain shorted out and i reversed my input as it was coming back at me.

Only one short flight today, the field was starting to fill up with after work dog walkers. the plane survived with only a small dent in the wing tip after it's tumble and ejecting the battery. Again, a great day!
-J

That was spectacular for a first ever flight! So many of us end up in the grass on launch, over and over and over. You flew wonderfully. Congratulations!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

-J

It is always refreshing to see a new pilot learn to fly on the Mini Scout. It was my first real flight plane as well. Great flying and looking forward to see more to come.

I know when I first got my full flight in I pretty much forgot everything but my name, one little tip to help you out, you could throttle back a bit and let the plane fly on the wing. Makes things a little easier for orientation on a new pilot. And when the plane is coming towards you and you want to level it out, point the right stick in the direction of the low wing tip.

Keep the vids coming

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Thank you all for the tips and encouragement. I was so excited and a bit surprised to be in the air that I didn't think much about trim or trying to slow down. I did throttle back right after launch then just focused on not crashing :). I'll try to remember to slow it down more and get a good feel for it next flight. It might be a bit now , we have some weather rolling in. But I have my eye on a more open field as well. I'll be ready for the next opportunity to go out for sure.

for now I have 3 and a half planes in various states of completion to keep me distracted while it is raining .

-Jesse

mayan

Legendary member

-J

Great first flight, like @buzzbomb said I think that was a better flight than most of us had. I know it's hard but try to remember that the throttle is not a switch it can be your helper when you need it but can total a plane if not used properly.

My wife was happy to lay a few out for a photo. She has been getting many books from the library and with her class testing and evaluating many paper airplanes. It started with the more simple and has progressed to the latest that require a bit of cutting and gluing. Most of the test planes have been given away to students or curious children at the various parks we have tested them at. I have been surprised by quite a few that i never thought would fly and again by some I thought should. It has gotten so that she can tell who the designers are for certain ones :) The two latest are up front and represent a recent jump forward from basic origami style folded planes. and fly very well.

View attachment 147561

It has been great sharing aspects of this and other hobby's with her. While she was working on these I was a few feet away on the kitchen island wrapping my head around dihedral and anhedral. not a bad day at all

View attachment 147562

-J
I love the two paper planes in the front mind sharing the plans?

Wildthing

Legendary member

-J

As soon as you said I can fly you crashed and loved the wife finishing your sentence with into the ground :)

You did great if that was your first time, heck I didn't last 5 seconds ;)

For your landing gear bend the legs forward as much as you can then you won't nose plant like that.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
She loved it. Now I have to get her to fly one so I can return the favor :) Crossing fingers for decent weather to try a second flight. perhaps in a full sized scout with ailerons if i get it done in time. A grand total of 30 seconds flying time , in a different plane. sounds like a great plan to me :)

-Jesse

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
She loved it. Now I have to get her to fly one so I can return the favor :) Crossing fingers for decent weather to try a second flight. perhaps in a full sized scout with ailerons if i get it done in time. A grand total of 30 seconds flying time , in a different plane. sounds like a great plan to me :)

-Jesse
I like how excited you are. I remember those days of the first flights, Mini Scout as well. The big brother is even better.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I guess ill follow up this first flight ever thread with my second and third flights. Both in the , I now have to say Amazing, FT Mini Scout. I got my brother to join me and record the first two flights. I was a bit nervous and excited. having a grand total of 30 seconds of flight experience in any airplane i was hoping the first time was not a fluke :) The first was short. somehow my trims were quite a bit off and I didn't feel comfortable fixing them in the air. On the plus side. I had a great first time ground take of and landing. This is actually a day full of firsts.

We fixed the trim on the ground and immediately sent the scout back up, I quickly got more comfortable with the plane trying both full power and seeing how slow I could go. I landed only because I noticed some young kids coming near.

After that I actually put the radio into my brothers hands and told him to taxi it around and see how it responded. I was hoping to get him hooked so id have a flying buddy. As soon as he started to move the plane I encouraged him to just got for it. He took off few a bit and landed it a bit sideways lol no damage , take two he was up and flying, a bit shaky but doing it. Next thing i know is he is asking me where the nearest hobby shop is :) Yay! It worked. I have a flying buddy now. These were not on video, I was busy coaching. then the battery still had life in it so i figured we hadn't crashed it yet so id go up a third time and try some loops. Loops are FUN! Battery n;ow spent I landed again and brought home a perfectly flyable plane. Super exciting morning.

I might have to get a second battery

-Jesse