My First Flying Video with My New GoPro Hero

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Since I just got my new GoPro Hero, I thought I would post my videos here as well. This is my first flight video, hope everyone likes it!

Where I was flying was a very small park with not a lot of room, but I really wanted to get some video. Wind died down just enough to get a couple of minutes of video.

They will get better (I hope!).

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Thanks Fishbonz, this was filmed in 720 @ 60fps. I picked this up at Best Buy for $199 and had everything to get started. I wasn't sure I wanted to pay that much for a POV camera but I think I will enjoy it a lot.

Your avatar is awesome by the way, have to love Calvin and Hobbes!

Fishbonez

Thanks Fishbonz, this was filmed in 720 @ 60fps. I picked this up at Best Buy for $199 and had everything to get started. I wasn't sure I wanted to pay that much for a POV camera but I think I will enjoy it a lot.
I am sure you will enjoy it just make sure you have a backup attachment system in case of a big crash, such as fishline or something, ask me how I know.

Your avatar is awesome by the way, have to love Calvin and Hobbes!
Thanks Calvin often reminds me of myself as a little boy. Calvin and Hobbs Love them guys. Just wish they would BRING EM BACK!!! :cool:

PaulT

Mentor
Nice video Mike. And yes, you need a bigger field to fly in.
Also nice to see that there are places that have sunshine.....

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
PaulT, thanks and yes this one is just really close to the house and I couldn't wait to get some video. We have had a little sunshine, but I have been off work all week and the wind has been blowing 20+ with the exception of yesterday morning. I have a much bigger place to fly but there was a short break in the wind and I figured I would just get some quick video and see how it looked. Once the wind (if it ever does) calm down I will go to the bigger field and try again!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Nice video! The only cam that could be better then that is the GoPro 2. But the first one is definitely also a good cam!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Thanks Anas! Yes but the GoPro 2 was another $100! I figured for what I am doing I think this one will be fine! I just don't have the 60 fps at 1080 I think.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah true! But from what I´ve seen on the pictures, there is clearly a lot of difference in the picture quality. I mean everyone has to do that decision for himself and according to his needs

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Well, made a second video today with the GoPro. This is where I usually fly and as can be seen it is a much bigger place. If you see the skyline in the background, that is the Kansas City skyline. This is right in front of my work and its a great place to fly my park flyers.

Happy flying all!!!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Thanks Bonez! Thought this one was much better than the first one. Thought it looked good with the skyline of KC in the background!

Fishbonez

Agreed. Looked very cool. I kept seeing the highway thinking out loud donr crash there that would be terribile

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I am really not that close it just looks that way. I turn about a block before the highway. The 170° field of view makes it look much closer. I am going to try the 1080 setting soon and see if it looks a little more realistic as it is at 120° field of view.

Fishbonez

Oh I see. that would explain the "fish eye lense" look of the GoPro

I am reminded of the other week when a friend of mine was flying his Extra with an upgraded motor, I cant recall what size, the interstae was aprroximatly 1/4-1/2 mile away and he thought he might get just a bit higher to see if he could get a good view of the interstate on his minicam. Unfortuntly he had forgotten to hit the timer on his Tx when he hit low power cutoff. It quickly descended and went behind what we thought were a line of trees. No where to be found. After a long search we had decided to cut our losses and head for home. While driving home on Interstate 25 we saw a small piece of orange we both thought NAh thats impossible. Took the next exit jumped back on and sure enough there was his Extra in the median right in between both sides of the highway. Undamaged except for a cracked wing. What luck. The video camera unfortunatly had also ran out of power so we were not able to see what luck looked like. From that day forward we decided if the minicam can see it the plane can reach it. :black_eyed:

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
That is hilarious! Too bad the camera didn't capture it, I am sure it would have been something to see.

While I do know I could lose the plane there, I do always use my timer and I have a clear view of the highway from where I am flying. I rarely fly when there is much of a wind as until I am comfortable with my piloting skills OR don't care to really crash one should be okay.
Right now I neither have the flying skills nor do I really want to lose one yet. :D

Fishbonez

It was pretty funny. We also spent a lot of time wondering what someone thought when they saw a RC plane come from no where to come down on the median. WHAAAATTT WAS THAT!!!! ;)

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Thanks Anas! I think for a small city in the Midwest US, we have a great looking skyline. I will try and get some 1080 video with 120° fov and see if it looks better. I would love to get some LED lights and fly at night, get some night video of it, think that would be a great view. Hmmmmmm. I will have to look into that.

Fishbonez

Thanks Anas! I think for a small city in the Midwest US, we have a great looking skyline. I will try and get some 1080 video with 120° fov and see if it looks better. I would love to get some LED lights and fly at night, get some night video of it, think that would be a great view. Hmmmmmm. I will have to look into that.

I have always wanted to do that. I dont own a GOPro just a minicam so it would not work for me but would definitly be interested in your setup if you decide to do that. I think a night flight with that type of camera would look Awesome