My First Flying Video with My New GoPro Hero

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Well Bonez, I have not even attempted to night fly yet nor take video with the GoPro at night so I have no idea how it will capture in low light. I may have to test out the night capabilities tonight and see if it will even take video in very low light.

I will let you guys know how the GoPro takes night video!

If it does take good video, I just may have to get the LED's and set it up and see what I get!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Thanks Anas! I think for a small city in the Midwest US, we have a great looking skyline. I will try and get some 1080 video with 120° fov and see if it looks better. I would love to get some LED lights and fly at night, get some night video of it, think that would be a great view. Hmmmmmm. I will have to look into that.

Great idea!! I´ll be defintely up for that and waiting :)
I am trying to save for a GoPro2. My Tricopter is making some progress too so that should give me some nice footage as well :D:D

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Well, I just couldn't see the extra $100 for the 2, as I know how I am about crashing. I would have a $300 camera and a $200 plane and be out $500 in a hurry.

I cannot wait to see your Tricopter and video with that, it should be a great platform. Better than my t-28 for sure.
It is all about fun though, and I will build a tri or quad at some point I am sure.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Oh I see. that would explain the "fish eye lense" look of the GoPro

I am reminded of the other week when a friend of mine was flying his Extra with an upgraded motor, I cant recall what size, the interstae was aprroximatly 1/4-1/2 mile away and he thought he might get just a bit higher to see if he could get a good view of the interstate on his minicam. Unfortuntly he had forgotten to hit the timer on his Tx when he hit low power cutoff. It quickly descended and went behind what we thought were a line of trees. No where to be found. After a long search we had decided to cut our losses and head for home. While driving home on Interstate 25 we saw a small piece of orange we both thought NAh thats impossible. Took the next exit jumped back on and sure enough there was his Extra in the median right in between both sides of the highway. Undamaged except for a cracked wing. What luck. The video camera unfortunatly had also ran out of power so we were not able to see what luck looked like. From that day forward we decided if the minicam can see it the plane can reach it. :black_eyed:

WOW! That's amazing! Maybe someone put it there? IDK, either way you're lucky!

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Hey Majik!

The first video I made with my GoPro was on my T-28. (great minds think alike right......and so do ours) LOL

Here is the first video I ever put together on a heli with my GoPro. This was June of 2011 out at Josh Bixler's dad's house.

There are some vibs in the video when I get moving out of a hover, but still not too bad for the first attempt......this is what started my quest to obtain vib-free aerial video. I quickly learned that it wasn't gonna happen on an outta-the-box 450 heli....and then moved to multi-rotors and never looked back.

Blade 400 heli - GoPro Hero HD 1 720p 60 fps

Cheers!

Eric

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Do you fly visually or FPV?

Hey Trinom!

About 90 percent of the time I fly visually. I do have an fpv setup on my quad-copter and I can fly fpv, although I admittedly don't do it very often. When filming a job....I usually fly line of sight and setup the fpv monitor to glance at for framing.

Eric

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey Trinom!

About 90 percent of the time I fly visually. I do have an fpv setup on my quad-copter and I can fly fpv, although I admittedly don't do it very often. When filming a job....I usually fly line of sight and setup the fpv monitor to glance at for framing.

Eric

I was just going to ask that! You are really good at framing those shots if its mostly line of sight!

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
I was just going to ask that! You are really good at framing those shots if its mostly line of sight!

thanks Colorex! its honestly just lotsa flight-time/practice, the more ya fly, the easier it gets. :) I have a long way to go, to get to where I would like to be with it. but the journey toward the goal has been pretty fun so far.

Cheers,

Eric