Help! My first FPV airplane

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
All the parts look good, though you can get away with a smaller receiver like and X4R. I'd avoid the nano talon until you're more familiar with planes, smaller planes can be a handful. The Ranger looks like it would be a good place to start.

Okay, thank you. What kind of range do I have with these parts? And would this be anough to get flying? I have FatShark Dominator V1 with stock antenna

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Looks like you just need a battery and you'll be all set. As for range, it's impossible to say as the environment you're flying in can have a massive effect. With your setup the control link will probably outrange the FPV feed, so it would be good to have someone else watching the goggles while you fly LOS to see where the FPV signal gets bad.

Fyathyrio

The Ranger G2 is a great li'l plane for FPV, and flies much better than the other Ranger. I've gone over 5 miles with a 600mW 5.8GHz VTx, 7 turn helical antennas, and TBS Crossfire with the Nano Talon, so range shouldn't be an issue with good equipment. Keep the wiring clean and maybe add some filtering. I recommend adding some form of brain to get you home WHEN you outfly either video or control range. The basic Bigaole RTH is small & works great, also adds a stabilization function too. That comes in handy when 1st learning FPV flight as situation overload can sometimes lead to mistakes. The "Biggie" price drops to $60 in the cart once you make an account & sign in.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
oh yeah... kinda forgot about the battery :ROFLMAO: Can I just buy 1 3cell or do I also need one for the FPV system?

The camera and VTx can both run off full battery voltage, but you may want to buy more than one, as they can take 30-40 minutes to charge between flights.