My first FPV flight

JasonEricAnderson

There was something I didn't expect when I started to look at the FPV screen and try to fly. Something about flying while looking at a screen made me want to have a PC joystick and throttle. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it was a strange disconnect between brain and fingers.

With some practice, I hope to be at least darting around some tree trunks soon.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Not bad! What sort of screen did you have attached to your transmitter?

Also, I noticed a bit of noise/loss of signal when you pitched it up to about 40 ft. up, above the power lines by the homes; just be aware that that's probably your limit for distance/angle, and don't overfly that or else you'll be trying to shoot the flight via line of sight. :)

Overall, not bad, just realize that as you get flying faster, you're going to want to angle the FPV cam up, so that as you're flying, the horizon's level but the quad is angled. Faster you fly, the more angle you'll want/need...

One last thing, and this is just the safety nag in me screaming out, because I've cut my arm up before - don't try to catch the drone. Land it on the ground, on a table, on a landing pad, whatever...I'd hate to see you get sliced by the whirling blades seeking your blood. :)

JasonEricAnderson

Not bad! What sort of screen did you have attached to your transmitter?
One last thing, and this is just the safety nag in me screaming out, because I've cut my arm up before - don't try to catch the drone. Land it on the ground, on a table, on a landing pad, whatever...I'd hate to see you get sliced by the whirling blades seeking your blood. :)

Thanks! I usually do land on the ground rather than catch. With the action cam hanging on the bottom it just made a nice handle to reach out and grab in this case. ;)

I was using this OTG video receiver attached to my phone (Google Pixel XL2). I figured I had a screen with a battery that can even record the FPV feed like a DVR. It was the least expensive way to start dabbling with what FPV feels like and even if I upgrade to something better I can use this OTG as a stand alone DVR or second screen for 'ride alongs'.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
There was something I didn't expect when I started to look at the FPV screen and try to fly. Something about flying while looking at a screen made me want to have a PC joystick and throttle. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it was a strange disconnect between brain and fingers.

Nice! Like the venue - could be fun as you get more experience / confidence.

I too have just started some FPV flying on a scratchbuilt quad. The disconnect I am experiencing is less to do with the brain and fingers and more to do with my ears versus my eyes. It kinda freaks my brain out to see straight and level movement in the goggles but to hear the quad moving from left to right or vice versa. Weird!

DamoRC

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Nice! Like the venue - could be fun as you get more experience / confidence.

I too have just started some FPV flying on a scratchbuilt quad. The disconnect I am experiencing is less to do with the brain and fingers and more to do with my ears versus my eyes. It kinda freaks my brain out to see straight and level movement in the goggles but to hear the quad moving from left to right or vice versa. Weird!

DamoRC

That's a big reason why I wear a headset - you're not looking for where the quad is. It immerses you further, and you're not trying to fly line of sight and back to FPV, and confusing yourself in the sticks. Flying from a screen has messed me up quite a bit - not to mention that with my previous screen connection on the Blade Glimpse, flying FPV was difficult at best because of the lag. The OTG looked like it might have been pretty accurate, with maybe just a few milliseconds of lag. When you move up, though, and fly real-time? You'll find yourself doing scary cool freestyle stuff. :)