My first FPV setup - need help

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Im trying to figure wich camera, TX/RX setup i need to start with basic FPV.

so far I narrowed down here:

* it must be 900Mhz or 5.8Mhz of around 800 MW

* at first im going to use my notebook as screen and will order some 7" - 14" monitor later

now im confused with the cameras; should i go for PAL or NTSC or it doesnt matter ?

even the PAL and NTSC they have different specifications ..... wich one should i pick ??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13435__900MHZ_800mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_PAL.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._800mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_520_PAL.html

it would be nice if any of you guys expert on the matter could add me on MSN or Skype so we can talk ... much faster than posting ....

PaulT

Mentor
here's the long answer:

PAL-M (Brazil)
The Brazilian PAL-M system, introduced in 1972, uses the same lines/field as NTSC (525/60), and almost the same broadcast bandwidth and scan frequency (15.750 vs. 15.734 kHz). Prior to the introduction of color, Brazil broadcast in standard black-and-white NTSC. As a result, PAL-M signals are near identical to North American NTSC signals, except for the encoding of the colour subcarrier (3.575611 MHz for PAL-M and 3.579545 MHz for NTSC). As a consequence of these close specs, PAL-M will display in monochrome with sound on NTSC sets and vice versa.
PAL-M (PAL=Phase Alternating Line) specs are:
Transmission Band UHF/VHF,
Frame Rate 29.97
Lines/Field 525/60
Horizontal Freq. 15.750 kHz
Vertical Freq. 60 Hz
Color Sub Carrier 3.575611 MHz
Video Bandwidth 4.2 MHz
Sound Carrier Frequency 4.5 MHz
Channel Bandwidth 6 MHz
NTSC (National Television System Committee) specs are:
Transmission Band UHF/VHF
Lines/Field 525/60
Horizontal Frequency 15.734 kHz
Vertical Frequency 60 Hz
Color Subcarrier Frequency 3.579545 MHz
Video Bandwidth 4.2 MHz
Sound Carrier Frequency 4.5 MHz

Short answer. Go with PAL if you want colour in Brazil.

PaulT

Mentor
First off...
What are you using for your radio gear.
I have been told by some that you should never use a video system frequency that is lower than your radio. This is due to possible lock outs and harmonic interference of some sort.
Ergo, if you are using 2.4 mhz for your radio, then you should be using 5.8mhz for your video.
Also, there is no need for your video system to be 800 mW. Try lower (200mW) and a better antenna.
Check out my blog.

I have "walked" my system out to about 1km but have yet to try it in the air because of the weather here.
Also..
Check out this thread...from Paul and Thomas.
http://flitetest.com/forum/showthread.php?61-My-Basic-Low-End-FPV-Setup-Newbie-Guide

I have the same system which I credit them for my choice.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
thx PaulT for the hyperlink !! while you are at it ... why dont you make it a FIXED POST ??? lots of FPV newbies (like me) can benefit from it !

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
7" is perfect ..
Mark.
michaelscott.jpg

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Great Tx/Rx set and camera is ok.

There are better cameras around that handle the light /sun better but this will work fine. You need a 3cell lipo for the Tx (1600-2200mah will do) and a small 3cell for the Tx (I use 460 nano). All wiring is included with the Tx/Rx set and with the camera.

As long you LCD screen can be set to NTSC there is no problem. You will need another 3cell for the LCD, depending on the type you have. I also use a 2200mah with this.

This if fun .... enjoy it !!

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Great Tx/Rx set and camera is ok.

There are better cameras around that handle the light /sun better but this will work fine. You need a 3cell lipo for the Tx (1600-2200mah will do) and a small 3cell for the Tx (I use 460 nano). All wiring is included with the Tx/Rx set and with the camera.

As long you LCD screen can be set to NTSC there is no problem. You will need another 3cell for the LCD, depending on the type you have. I also use a 2200mah with this.

This if fun .... enjoy it !!

You mean 3S 2200 for RX and 3S 460 for TX ??

I have a bunch of 2200's here .....

I got the cheapo camera for starters ... wich one would be a step up ? not GOPRO Like :p

on the receiver specs they say:

Transmitter operating voltage: 7~15VDC / 150mA
Receiver operating voltage: 5VDC

So for the receiver its 12V or 5V ?

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Just read some reviews .... some ppl report using 3S on receiver might get it too hot; they instruct to use 2S ...

This info proceed, its true ?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Just read some reviews .... some ppl report using 3S on receiver might get it too hot; they instruct to use 2S ...

This info proceed, its true ?

Yes. I've read on several places that 3S is to much for receivers. Receivers usually state using 4-6 volts. That's why one uses the BEC in the ESC.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
You mean 3S 2200 for RX and 3S 460 for TX ??
I got the cheapo camera for starters ... wich one would be a step up ?
on the receiver specs they say:
Transmitter operating voltage: 7~15VDC / 150mA
Receiver operating voltage: 5VDC
So for the receiver its 12V or 5V ?

KKArioKA,
With my FPV set (FoxTech 5.8gHz 200mw) I use a 3S 2200mah for the Rx and a 3S 460mah for the Tx.
I tested a 2S 2200mah for the Rx and indeed it got quote a less hot.
But I noticed no difference in performance (not a better or worse signal).
Someone has another experiance with 3S vs. 2S for the Rx ?

I got this camera that Bruce recently reviewed:
http://youtu.be/wdqsClsJyUU
Very fast shipment and great quality.
And finally a good quality camera connector/wire !!

I found some M12 2.1/2.5mm F2.0 wide angle lenses (115, 130 and 150 degree) lenses and they work great.
Specially the 130 degree is nice.
If you need links, let me know.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
marked this 2 on dealextreme said:
Yes, as this is M12x0.5 thread as well.
But I know that DE has quite long delivery lead times.
The 'tinydeal' were shipped in a padded envelope and in house after a few days.

Mark.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Quick noob question:

The TX has a built in MIC ? how do i record sound ? or i dont with this setup ?

@Burg the tinydeal uses the same international air shipping as dealextreme .... DE is free shipping, TD charges a minimum ( 3 dollars more or less )

i think its my location who matters the most.

THX FOR ALL YOUR HELP ! keep it coming hehehe

Last edited: