My first FT flight and first successful foam board flight!!!

d4mer

Hi All,

Just wanted to share the success I've had this morning with the FT Tiny Trainer. I scratch built it and maidened it this morning. The first few attempts ended up nose first into the ground but after working out the CG and my own stupidity, I had a beautiful, easy going flight in some fairly gusty wind (sorry but is was dying to get her in the air). She flew wonderfully and at barely half throttle!!!

For any one thinking of building one, GO FOR IT!!! I am a testament as to how strong and durable this little plane is, not to mention how easy it is to fly with the no AIL wing. If my clumsy arse can do it, anyone can!

I had built my first foamy based on the Experimental Airlines design but I only had one marginally successful flight with it. That's when I decided to go with a tried and tested design that would encourage me to continue and boy did I hit the nail on the head. What great experience so far and I do have to say what a great community and effort from everyone at FT.

Thanks a million!!

Ed

IMG_6766.JPG

FDS

Elite member
Well done! Flying in wind is a good thing, teaches you a lot of useful skills. I find it’s very useful to have a bit of wind when landing as it keeps the air speed up whilst you can almost hover over the ground, dropping gently, instead of having to make your own airspeed with more throttle when it’s still.
Glad to see another majestic Tiny Trainer taking to the sky.

kdobson83

Hi All,

Just wanted to share the success I've had this morning with the FT Tiny Trainer. I scratch built it and maidened it this morning. The first few attempts ended up nose first into the ground but after working out the CG and my own stupidity, I had a beautiful, easy going flight in some fairly gusty wind (sorry but is was dying to get her in the air). She flew wonderfully and at barely half throttle!!!

For any one thinking of building one, GO FOR IT!!! I am a testament as to how strong and durable this little plane is, not to mention how easy it is to fly with the no AIL wing. If my clumsy arse can do it, anyone can!

I had built my first foamy based on the Experimental Airlines design but I only had one marginally successful flight with it. That's when I decided to go with a tried and tested design that would encourage me to continue and boy did I hit the nail on the head. What great experience so far and I do have to say what a great community and effort from everyone at FT.

Thanks a million!!

Ed
What motor do you have on there? Looks like a 8x4 prop, do you have torque roll issues with it? Just wondering, all the TT's I've built for myself and others have had the 1806 2250kv with a 5-6" prop.

d4mer

What motor do you have on there? Looks like a 8x4 prop, do you have torque roll issues with it? Just wondering, all the TT's I've built for myself and others have had the 1806 2250kv with a 5-6" prop.

Hi kdobson83,

The motor is an 1806 knock off I got cheap on ebay and the prop is an APC 6x4. I had a bit of torque roll but I added just a bit right rudder trim to counteract it.

Hopefully the weather will improve and I can convince the wife to take some video.

mayan

Legendary member
Congrats, ain't nothing more fun than the first time you get a plane in the air :). And like @FDS said happy to see another Tiny Trainer fly :).

basslord1124

Master member
Awesome and welcome! TT, from what I hear, is a good intro FT plane. I've built one too to try out (I actually started on a Storch).

So, what's your next build gonna be? and the one after that? ;):D:p:devilish:

d4mer

TT status report. 10-12 flights under my belt with the TT and I got cocky! Ran into a power line and this happened. Damn!!

Back to the drawing board

7BB6D35A-1FE2-44CE-BD31-30DB541B33DB.jpeg
6DA61142-F2FD-4A71-BCC8-D40058CB2BD6.jpeg

FDS

Elite member
That’s totally repairable. Mine was like this-
442A9F8B-A509-420F-AE73-0C2501D3318F.jpeg
An hours work with light packing tape and high tack white glue (don’t add too much weight) and it was back to this.
E584307F-E515-43A9-84B5-C11EA6D6D431.jpeg
Joys of foamboard. Where some glue remains you can heat it up with a hairdryer or low power heat gun to make it flexible then push the bits back into shape.

kdobson83

TT status report. 10-12 flights under my belt with the TT and I got cocky! Ran into a power line and this happened. Damn!!

Back to the drawing board
That looks repairable. I mean, it won't look like new anymore but I bet with a little glue and tape and 20 minutes of time you could get it flying good again. Don't give up on her just yet!!

d4mer

Ok.. so I’ve put hot glue and tape to her and this is where we’re at right now. No W&B don yet though. As soon as the kids wake up I’ll take’r out for a spin and let you all know.

C386E25C-AD7B-464C-9174-8892B4A20213.jpeg

3BABE654-393C-4D8B-BA67-B5959B7DC490.jpeg

B0913761-A812-4B4C-9428-D84FEA8E4905.jpeg

15A4C49D-BBD3-4FEB-ACDB-821B7C77FFB5.jpeg

kdobson83

She flys!!!! And pretty fine too. Just too windy this afternoon. Tomorrow morning is another day
Good learning experience too right? Foam Board is pretty easy to repair. You can even hand paint the repair and make it less noticeable. If you used spray paint just spray some in a solo cup and brush it on!
Congrats of the successful repair and flight tho!! I'm jealous, I have a room full of planes begging me to fly AND calmish weather but the wife is sick and I'm stuck with the kids.... Ugh. Lol

d4mer

I can't believe how tough this little sucker is!! This is the only mini I plan on building but good lord it takes a licking and keeps on ticking!!

I hear what you're saying about the kids, I try to take'em with me whenever I have to and can.

Reactions: FDS