My first official FT build: the tiny trainer

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Joining a club is a good idea. I have a suggestion as far as props go. Buy a 9x4.5 APC prop (NOT the slow fly type) and trim it down to an overall length of about 6 inches. These will be incredibly tough! I have an HQ 9x5 that I trimmed down to about 5 inches and have used it on many of my mini planes with great performance and that thing fb will not break! My mini scout took a straight nose dive from 20-30 feet up and the whole plane was in pieces but guess what - the prop was fine! I’ve also had a lot of other bad crashes with other mini planes that haven’t damaged the prop. This has saved me a lot of money in props!
Well the maiden happened today. The TT flew well, but it was a bit gusty, and it struggled in the wind. So I landed it before I broke it.

The MUTTS flew really well in the wind, and I got 2 decent flights in. But broke the prop on the first landing even though it was soft, and on the second flight, I got mixed up with the controls, rolled left instead of right and hit the dirt. The plane is fine though, but broker the only other prop I had, so that's the end of flying till I get more. I think I'll try and get some folding ones, or cheap APC ones. I has Master screw ones, but they're £8 a pop, so not cheap.

I wasn't able to get any videos.

I'm thinking that maybe joining a club would be the next best move for a couple of reasons.The field I went to today was busy with dirt bike riders and dog walkers, so I had to walk a fair bit to get clear of them.

But secondly, and probably the main reason, is that I didn't feel confident flying. I was mostly in control, and felt ok, but I could feel a nervous twitch in my thumbs on the controls, and didn't like the feeling. I think I'd be better in a club with an instructor buddy boxing, until I've got my confidence, and I suppose they'll also put me through the BMFA certificate. And I'll have access to a dedicated flying field.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well the maiden happened today. The TT flew well, but it was a bit gusty, and it struggled in the wind. So I landed it before I broke it.

The MUTTS flew really well in the wind, and I got 2 decent flights in. But broke the prop on the first landing even though it was soft, and on the second flight, I got mixed up with the controls, rolled left instead of right and hit the dirt. The plane is fine though, but broker the only other prop I had, so that's the end of flying till I get more. I think I'll try and get some folding ones, or cheap APC ones. I has Master screw ones, but they're £8 a pop, so not cheap.

I wasn't able to get any videos.

I'm thinking that maybe joining a club would be the next best move for a couple of reasons.The field I went to today was busy with dirt bike riders and dog walkers, so I had to walk a fair bit to get clear of them.

But secondly, and probably the main reason, is that I didn't feel confident flying. I was mostly in control, and felt ok, but I could feel a nervous twitch in my thumbs on the controls, and didn't like the feeling. I think I'd be better in a club with an instructor buddy boxing, until I've got my confidence, and I suppose they'll also put me through the BMFA certificate. And I'll have access to a dedicated flying field.
Sounds like the maidens went well, broken props aside. The TT is a 3 channel right? I could see how not having ailerons would be more difficult in the wind. Wit the broken prop thing there is always gonna be some point of failure with hits to the ground. If the props break easy you replace a prop. If the prop is stronger, she shock of impact will break the prop shaft or firewall next. Just a toss up as to which you would rather replace.

I like the nervous thumbs thing, gets the adrenaline going. I have it on every maiden, well most. I have a couple of planes waiting to maiden, that will be a good weekend. Next time take up the plane you are most comfortable with first, just to shake out the jitters, then do the maiden of whatever plane you have at the time. Works for me

TooJung2Die

Master member
You can use a "prop-saver" mount if the airplane is a belly lander. You'll break less propellers.

prop-saver.jpg IMG_1458closecrop.jpg

Joining a club is great for the social aspect of flying. I flew alone for years before finding a club that would have me as a member. :) Flying with friends is more fun.

messyhead

You can use a "prop-saver" mount if the airplane is a belly lander. You'll break less propellers.

View attachment 162425 View attachment 162426

Joining a club is great for the social aspect of flying. I flew alone for years before finding a club that would have me as a member. :) Flying with friends is more fun.

How do the prop savers work?

Edit: I see now, it uses a rubber band to hold the prop on. I'll get a few of those.

messyhead

I have a question about the prop savers. My motor has the shaft out the back, and a prop adapter bolts on to the front.

The prop savers I've seen all seemed sized for the motor shaft.

Is it possible to push the shaft through the motor to stick out the front instead? I also have longer shafts from some old motors that would fit.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Is it possible to push the shaft through the motor to stick out the front instead?
Yes, you can often reverse the shaft so it extends out the other side of the motor or install a longer shaft.
I have drilled out prop-savers with 3mm holes to 5mm to fit on quad-copter motors with threaded prop adapters. I don't care that the prop-saver screws mess up the threads because I have no intention of removing the prop-saver.

messyhead

Well I got to maiden the TT earlier, managed to escape quarantine for half an hour. There was absolutely no wind, so I had to get out.

It flies so well. My son took the controls a couple of times, and managed to fly a bit. He needs to get used to the controls, as he kept over correcting. But he managed some good flights. I'm going to get him to practice on the simulator more before we go out again.