My first plane that flies!

g828

Stickman
Hi all,
Pretty excited that I got a plane to fly controllably.
Maiden was pretty short intentionally due to a really small flying area and gusty winds that made me very cautious.
A really big thank you to Experimental Airlines for putting up videos on how to make fuselage tubes and appropriate control surface proportions!

On another note, I would really not suggest anyone to do what I did which was be really stubborn and try to design my own scratchbuild and learn to fly at the same time, but I guess that is common sense.... :)

and pictures of the airplane (unfortunately, I could not get any pictures of it flying because I was doing a small maiden at a really narrow canal and did not bring anyone to take pictures and such):
plane1.jpg

g828

Stickman
Also, of course, a big thanks to flitetest for getting me into the hobby and teaching me how to get into this hobby right. Also teaching me the many uses of zip-ties!

earthsciteach

Congrats! Welcome to the forum!

Scratchbuilding AND teaching yourself to fly is a huge task. How many attempts did it take you?

g828

Stickman
Thanks! I tried somewhere around ten different models over a year's worth of time...:eek: <embarrassed>

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Looks great. Tough road you chose but the rewards are certainly worth it aren't they.

g828

Stickman
Thanks AkFlyer! yes, I am so happy and proud of my little creation! It sure was one long learning experience!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have an idea :eek: Hobbyking named a plane after Bilxer, you should start marketing yours as the g828 Version 11 Josh Scott Edition. Can you get that all on each wing?

g828

Stickman
So here is what I came up with...
Also, I found out this was my 8th attempt of the plane...
plane12.jpg
In honour of Josh Scott... (Idea by AkFlyer)

TommyG

Glad to hear there is reward at the end of the road. I'm currently rebuilding my first plane after its first crash! I've got for an Avispad! due to the availability of coroflute. But I'm also trying to make a coro version of the avispad, since my headfirst landing style messes up my props!!! In the meantime I have a HK190 heli that is so much fun to fly. A lot of reviews say its not a beginner heli but it is so much fun to fly...

g828

Stickman
The Avispad looks like one really cool looking plane!
with coroplast/coroflute the plane should be nearly indestructible!
Best of luck with your build and hope you are able to get flying sooner than it took me! :)

TommyG

The Avispad looks like one really cool looking plane!
with coroplast/coroflute the plane should be nearly indestructible!
Best of luck with your build and hope you are able to get flying sooner than it took me! :)

Wind is meant to be dead calm this afternoon so will try the Avispad again today! All repair work is finished. I also turned the shaft around on the motor to stick it right out front and shift the battery further forward (I'm guessing it was tail heavy last time as it kept on wanting to fly straight up!)
P7162089.JPG