My first time in the air! (or just trying to be in the air)

swipis

Hello pilots!
I just want to share my first step (actually it is second). I know my cub was in the air for a few seconds (and it took 2 props and my power pod) but for me this is big step :D
here is some vid:
and some pictures:
IMG_20190823_203653.jpg IMG_20190823_201629.jpg

I appreciate any tips and tops :)
Thank you

P.S. is it possible to change pictures resolution in thread?

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hello pilots!
I just want to share my first step (actually it is second). I know my cub was in the air for a few seconds (and it took 2 props and my power pod) but for me this is big step :D
here is some vid:
and some pictures:
View attachment 140437
View attachment 140438

I appreciate any tips and tops :)
Thank you

P.S. is it possible to change pictures resolution in thread?
Congratulations on your first steps!
You can post thumbnails :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The only real tips I can offer are just the standard ones.
Find an area that allows you to actually fly without having to dodge obstacles and with trees a lot further away.
Sealed runways, for a newbie, are great for take offs but eat props on landing. Find a grassed area if possible!
Try to allow the plane to fly without too much interference. Overcontrolling is the cause of most newbie crashes because the plane will fly well by itself.
Gain height on take off! staying close ot the ground gives you little to no room to maneuver.

Also you should state your Expo settings as it looked like a little extra expo might help smooth out the control inputs!

Just a few thoughts!

Have fun, (OH, You already are!).

swipis

The only real tips I can offer are just the standard ones.
Find an area that allows you to actually fly without having to dodge obstacles and with trees a lot further away.
Sealed runways, for a newbie, are great for take offs but eat props on landing. Find a grassed area if possible!
Try to allow the plane to fly without too much interference. Overcontrolling is the cause of most newbie crashes because the plane will fly well by itself.
Gain height on take off! staying close ot the ground gives you little to no room to maneuver.

Also you should state your Expo settings as it looked like a little extra expo might help smooth out the control inputs!

Just a few thoughts!

Have fun, (OH, You already are!).

Hi Hai-Lee, thank you for tips. Anyway I building TT right now because hard to find good place for a runway for my cub. Please can you explain more about what is Expo and how to set it right?

FDS

Elite member
Expo softens the stick movement at the centre, making them slightly less sensitive to jerky thumbs.
It’s set in your transmitter, how it’s done varies by trans maker etc. What rates are you running? I always advise setting up low rates off the FT supplied gauges with 30% expo, on a switch, then reduce the Aileron rate a bit more for new pilots. I flew with about 60% of the low rates on my ailerons for several months.
Well done on your first flight, it was longer than mine!
I would avoid that hard ground and ground take offs entirely. I have been flying for nearly a year now, I wouldn’t even attempt to fly where you are. Too many trees, buildings, obstacles and concrete for safe flights.
Use a grass field, throw launch. You can take the wheels off the Cub, it will belly land fine.

swipis

Expo softens the stick movement at the centre, making them slightly less sensitive to jerky thumbs.
It’s set in your transmitter, how it’s done varies by trans maker etc. What rates are you running? I always advise setting up low rates off the FT supplied gauges with 30% expo, on a switch, then reduce the Aileron rate a bit more for new pilots. I flew with about 60% of the low rates on my ailerons for several months.
Well done on your first flight, it was longer than mine!
I would avoid that hard ground and ground take offs entirely. I have been flying for nearly a year now, I wouldn’t even attempt to fly where you are. Too many trees, buildings, obstacles and concrete for safe flights.
Use a grass field, throw launch. You can take the wheels off the Cub, it will belly land fine.

It's hard to find good place for flying and my goal was just to get in the air :) (when not flying that car park looks much bigger). My rates are set to low.
Today I will go to look new place where to fly. And about Expo possible to set Expo on DXe transmitter (if yes how to)? I guess set Expo on DXe need to program via pc or smart phone?

swipis

You need to use the App to set expo on the Dxe. Set it to 30% on all 4 channels.

Thank you FDS, will try but first need to buy cable for my DXe. And here is more tests :)

this fun cost me 3 props, I know I over controlled but this was my second attempt to fly.

FDS

Elite member
Lower rates and more expo will help stop over controlling. If you are going to crash remember to throttle down, whatever else you are doing. That helps preserve props too.
Altitude is your friend, climb to at least 60ft before making any turns, that way you have time to react if the stick input puts the plane into a dive or stall.
Not being able to change anything on the fly is a big problem with the DXe, I bought an Orange TX6I for less than the price of the DXe, it has a screen, you can set everything up without apps and cables and it works great with any Horizon Hobby planes. I used it to learn on, still flying it a year later.
Those flights looked promising, well done! The location you have there is much better.

swipis

Lower rates and more expo will help stop over controlling. If you are going to crash remember to throttle down, whatever else you are doing. That helps preserve props too.
Altitude is your friend, climb to at least 60ft before making any turns, that way you have time to react if the stick input puts the plane into a dive or stall.

Im flying on low rates but I guess i need put push rods into other hole on control horn and of course Expo. But first I need to get more props :)

FDS

Elite member
If low rates are too high just drop them a bit. Aileron especially benefits from being backed off more when you start. Expo is not as important as setting the rates and deflection right. It didn’t look too bad on the video, I think you just need to be more gentle. There’s a simple mod you can do to the DXe to limit over controlling, make a couple of card discs that fit over the sticks, with about 70% travel on everything except down elevator, make that 30% travel. FT have an old video on it.
Always start in the middle hole on control horns. If you need less then move it OUT away from the control surface.
It’s also worth trying to fly with the sun and wind behind you, launch into the wind like you did already, then turn and try to fly figure of 8’s across the wind, avoiding flying toward yourself, as that gets confusing since the directional controls are reversed head on.

Last edited:

swipis

If low rates are too high just drop them a bit. Aileron especially benefits from being backed off more when you start. Expo is not as important as setting the rates and deflection right. It didn’t look too bad on the video, I think you just need to be more gentle. There’s a simple mod you can do to the DXe to limit over controlling, make a couple of card discs that fit over the sticks, with about 70% travel on everything except down elevator, make that 30% travel. FT have an old video on it.
Always start in the middle hole on control horns. If you need less then move it OUT away from the control surface.
It’s also worth trying to fly with the sun and wind behind you, launch into the wind like you did already, then turn and try to fly figure of 8’s across the wind, avoiding flying toward yourself, as that gets confusing since the directional controls are reversed head on.

Dang it I have this mod but did not use it! And will need to recheck my push rods connections.