bracesport

Legendary member
WED 01 MARCH

A beautiful Wellington day and I had an hour free to go to the park for some DLG - sadly it was busy with some school cricket - then I remembered I had my new local slope site waiting to be tested out - the wind was nearly zero and running along the slope but I gave it a go with mixed results - it looks to be good spot with a better wind direction - NW rather then NN - it was great to be back on the slope regardless.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 2.12.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 2.08.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 2.13.31 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I was so nervous tossing the carbon ship - what if I lose it thoughts swimming around my head - it was just a quick test but felt good to be on the slope again!

I have my purpose built Phantom2 for the slope so that will be easier next time.

Nice view. Its a shame that the breeze was from the wrong direction

bracesport

Legendary member
Wed 15 March 2023

Here are a few more runs with the Phantom3 followed by the BAMFzilla into a stiff breeze - my mate Pete (the pro flier) was there with his Deviant and of course flew circles around me - you learn so much flying with professionals!

IMG_0134.PNG

IMG_0135.PNG

IMG_0136.PNG

IMG_0139.PNG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Tue 11 Apr 2023

I managed a quick maiden with my Phantom III - the previous outing had the prop spinning backwards but I sorted that out with some ESC programming - it all went pretty smoothly even with the stiff breeze - I did not have a prop brake so there was plenty of windmilling with the motor off (another ESC tweak to make) - I will try a bigger prop as it was a slow climber, but nevertheless, I was pretty happy to get her up in the air - also my motor mount which was CA glued came loose so I will epoxy it for next time too!

bracesport

Legendary member
Friday 28 April 2023

Here is a short compilation of the P3 and B1 - it was my birthday and I should have gone out earlier before the wind came up but nevertheless any time in the air is a good time - two out of three ships came home damaged, but thankfully the repairs should be straightforward!

I am not so confident when the breeze is up!

0.png
2.png
1.png
3.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Sunday 25 June

It has been a while since my last flight outing (almost two months) and Sunday was a glorious winters morning with not a breath of wind and my good wife shoo'd me out the door for some quick flights.

my good old BAMFzilla was the only glider in one piece and although it was a bit cold I was keen to blow some cobwebs off the wings!

In some ways it was my best outing ever - not a drop of wind meant I could really dial in the trim and I was determined to fly some big laps of the park.

As it turned out the trim was spot on and I finally got some lift before heading home - launches were solid above 40m - I was elated to feel my skills are improving and when the lift is there I can achieve something!

The old BAMFzilla has still got it!

bracesport

Legendary member
Friday 07 July

I have been flying for a year or two now and still enjoying it immensely - at the moment it is the school holidays and out of the blue my son Xander said 'Dad, lets go to the park and fly' - well, it was a bit cold today, but you can't miss these opportunities when they come up - maybe I have a new flying buddy?!

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 7.13.05 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Sunday 03 September 2023

I had a great opportunity to fly with my son on Fathers Day - hopefully he will become my flying buddy!

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.02.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.03.30 PM.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Sunday 03 Sept 2023

I went out again after flying with my son a little later in the morning - it was a perfect morning and you could feel the warmth compared to the cold wet winter days that are behind us now.

My local park is quite challenging with the surrounding hills causing odd air movement, however, on this morning the gods were aligned and I got some great rides.

The practice with no lift certainly pays off when the conditions are favourable - I am getting better at using less stick - these gliders know what they are doing on their own!

It is a rush to get up to +100m but you need sharp eyes in the video! :D

Sadly I had some servo issues and did not get to put the B2 in the air as it is yet to thermal in my hands!

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 7.24.28 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 7.25.26 AM.png

Last edited: