My Flight Test FPV planes

vrex01

My Flight Test FPV planes:

The Flight Test simple cub, and the Flight Test sport!
The cub was from a kit, and the sport was a scratch build from plans.
I have built several foam planes from plans and Flight Test plans are the best I have worked with.

These are the parts:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/lumenie...um6532/p627750

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2162223

https://www.pololu.com/product/2831

I tried to use the head tracking with the Fat Shark V3 but it really didn't work the way I wanted it to.
So I set the camera servo to a 3 way switch, and slowed it down so I can look to left and to the right with a switch.
The printed pan system wprks great.
I have flown FPV fixed wing for about a year now and the camera pan make it soooo much more fun.

I have a couple of UMX planes that I have put this camera on. My latest is the UMX Timbre, and
having to use a 1s battery to run the camera is kinda of a pain.
With these I used a step down regulator so and power the camera off the 3s battery.
Great fun Thanks Flight Test!

Attachments

• IMG_7089.jpg
    IMG_7089.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7091.jpg
    IMG_7091.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7092.jpg
    IMG_7092.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Beavis

I love it. I just dipped my foot into the fpv waters on Tuesday. I mounted it on my Simple Scout, just like you. It's a great platform for stable flight.

I like that panning mount. I had to make my own out of foam board, and I velcro'd it to the Scout's cockpit. It works, but is limited. I am still searching for a decent camera mount. It looks like your camera is similar to mine, so I will take inspiration from you!

I also wondered about power. I didn't like the use of separate 1s batteries, so I took a spare servo wire, and made a connector to go from the 1s plug on the camera power wire to the +5v/com rails on my receiver. I am running a 4 channel Spektrum rx on this plane, so the only available port was the bind plug. It worked fine.

What power level are you running on the video tx? I am running 25mw, and had a few distorted glitchy spots from some sort of interference. But overall it was pretty clear.

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Vrex, very nice fleet. I love strapping my tiny AIO cameras to my foamies. Such a great way to enjoy flight. I need to design a similar servo to look to the sides.

I also wondered about power. I didn't like the use of separate 1s batteries, so I took a spare servo wire, and made a connector to go from the 1s plug on the camera power wire to the +5v/com rails on my receiver.
Beavis, careful doing this. Some AIO cameras can require too much power and overwhelm your BEC/receiver, causing a brown out. Remember, your servos are powered by the receiver too. You may want to hook it all up and make sure you don't have any issues between the FPV and full servo throws.

Beavis

Vrex, very nice fleet. I love strapping my tiny AIO cameras to my foamies. Such a great way to enjoy flight. I need to design a similar servo to look to the sides.

Beavis, careful doing this. Some AIO cameras can require too much power and overwhelm your BEC/receiver, causing a brown out. Remember, your servos are powered by the receiver too. You may want to hook it all up and make sure you don't have any issues between the FPV and full servo throws.

Good point. I wondered if this was going to be an issue. No problem so far for my first 2 flights, but I will proceed with caution. I am running 25mw for now, but I would suspect higher power levels might be more of a problem.