My FT Simple Scout Build!

PoorManRC

Master member
As a tip to help prevent ground looping (like that other plane did to you) go with a live axle setup - lock the wheels to the axle and let the axle turn both wheels at the same time. Really helps keep things pointed the way you want them to go! :D

I'll leave that on the list of possibilities.... I really want and need them to Taxi. Not just a convenience.
I've had time to blow off steam. I knew what I was in for....

Modifying a known design DOES have its risks. Think I know what happened - the Rudder was too soft in the top 80%.
I should have put the Gear in BEFORE installing the Vstab. I put undue stress on the Rudder by trying to JAM that Gear Wire into it.

The Edge 540 has a functioning Tail Gear....
The Rudder and Wire are SANDWICHED in between PLYWOOD.

Just requires some rethink! πŸ˜‰
Lessons learned.
I really appreciate it when I get thoughtful help and tips....
Tubby Cubby's problem (ONE OF) was CONFLICTING advice, some people thinking I was a total N00b....
And that Thread being turned into the "Steve Fox Show"!!! 😠😠😠 I get it EVERYTHING he has is better than Mine.

Now, we're a bunch of friendly guys... Nearly all threads have gone off on tangents.
But THAT was a Threadjack!!!!

It didn't help my confidence. I already felt pressure, because I had received so much generous help, I was worried that without VIDEO of something done and Flying, that ONE squeaky wheel will start spreading rumors, AGAIN, that I'm just scamming People for money and RC supplies! 😲😞

I let everything get to me. I'm an old Man - I know better. I mean well, and am so grateful for the friendship and generosity that I've found here!!

PoorManRC

Master member
Guess I still had some Steam!! πŸ˜‹
I was constructive (and DESTRUCTIVE) today on the Scout.
IMG_20190813_232621.jpg
IMG_20190813_232834.jpg
IMG_20190813_233031.jpg

Then ATTEMPTED to install the Turtle Deck....
And Made a MESS of it!! πŸ˜–πŸ˜’

SO........

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm Making a new Deck...
NO Plans, no references...

IMG_20190813_233551.jpg
IMG_20190813_233929.jpg

Got the idea from another FT Plane. Can't remember which! 😜
IMG_20190813_234513.jpg

Don't really know. Power Pod fits nice and snug. πŸ˜‰

Started trimming and Sanding...
IMG_20190813_234951.jpg
IMG_20190813_235410.jpg
IMG_20190813_235731.jpg
IMG_20190814_000112.jpg

Not THIS Guy!!!

IMG_20190814_000400.jpg

IMG_20190814_000732.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That poster board turtle deck is looking as good as any I've done! They are really tricky buggers and I usually get to a point of "I give up - it's in place and I'm just going to put some paint over it and look away". I'm looking forward to trying a technique Squirrel Tail told me of using double sided tape rather than glue to put them on, but I'm not expecting miracles from that either.

PoorManRC

Master member
That poster board turtle deck is looking as good as any I've done! They are really tricky buggers and I usually get to a point of "I give up - it's in place and I'm just going to put some paint over it and look away". I'm looking forward to trying a technique Squirrel Tail told me of using double sided tape rather than glue to put them on, but I'm not expecting miracles from that either.

Thanks!! 😊
Years of Model Railroading had to pay off in this Hobby..... SOMEHOW! 😜

This may seem like a no brainer to most People here, but after recently finding my Steel Ruler, I wonder how I EVER made a straight cut without one!!! 😲
I'm going to use more Modeling technique on this one.... It's making these Foamies even MORE fun for me.
I'm going to see if any of my Friends have appropriate sized Gauge Stickers that I can use for the Instrument Panel. Overboard - EXTREMELY!!

I think I'm going to try a piece of Duck Tape on the Lower Rudder Hinge... It's not loose - YET - but why wait? Right?? πŸ˜‰

If I have any left, I may try CA to attach the Lower Turtle Deck to the Fuse.
I've noticed that I don't have a hot enough Hot Glue Gun... I'm getting thicker, chunkier Glue seams. Especially on Paper.
OR, I could try my White Gorilla Glue, and have the patience to HOLD each side with a Ruler for about a half hour, until each side sets enough.

It IS the best bond on Paper, AFTER vigorous Sanding with 180!
Notice that it's not attached... I'm still deciding on wether or not to try to go all the way back to add around the Vstab. πŸ˜§πŸ˜‰

OliverW

Legendary member
I believe that was someone else who said that. My method is put one dot of glue on top of each former then scotch tape on either side.

PoorManRC

Master member
My wounded Pride requires me doing something that I'm GOOD at! πŸ˜‰
Some Scale Details!! 😜

IMG_20190814_131105.jpg
IMG_20190814_131445.jpg
IMG_20190814_131740.jpg

I won't leave you hanging for too long!! 😜
Back in the day, many Aircraft had WOODEN Seats!
OUCH!!
IMG_20190814_132008.jpg
IMG_20190814_132224.jpg

Now to give it a Period Correct look...
IMG_20190814_132704.jpg
IMG_20190814_133306.jpg
IMG_20190814_134516.jpg

I'm SERIOUS about THAT!!!

PoorManRC

Master member
Is that a popsicle stick turtle deck in the works? :eek::D(y)

OMG 😲!!!! That never crossed my mind!! How COOL! Wouldn't that be too heavy?

Ya know, I've griped a lot in the past few years about how SOME People spit out Money in RC, like it's WATER...
Gobs o cash.gif

If you look at the first picture of my Control Stick, you'll see my NUTINESS as a Model Railroader!!!
It's a Bag of DEFECTIVE COFFEE STIRRERS. However, labelled as "Rustic Model Wood Planks", it becomes $10.99 for that Bag!!!! πŸ˜–
We're ALL guilty of frivolous spending at some point. πŸ˜‰

PoorManRC

Master member
Finishing the Turtle Deck...
IMG_20190815_024011.jpg

IMG_20190815_024428.jpg

TRYING to make it look as seamless as possible, knowing that it's not completely possible or easy!
Sometimes I like the not easy. 😲😜 Also trying not to add a lot of weight. I've found that the Acrylic Paint Pigment weighs practically NOTHING, and sands easily.
(I say "Pigment" because most of Acrylic Paint's weight is water)

It's also great for sealing the Foam edges, so that the Spray Paint won't penetrate and EAT the Foam! πŸ˜‰
IMG_20190814_182923.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
The nearly done Cockpit!
IMG_20190815_024756.jpg
IMG_20190815_025056.jpg

I'll probably add a thing or two more, as long as I can remember to keep it light - and NOT too fragile!! 😲

...... I MAY save this Baby for FTFC20, if I can afford to go. I hope to show some of the Community that I'm not just some mid 50's guy who just decided to try a Hobby as a mid life crisis!!! 😜😁
I've been doing some sort of Modeling Hobby, since 1973!
What I wouldn't give, to get some of that time BACK!

PoorManRC

Master member
Catching back up on this thread. Love the cockpit detail! Very cool indeed! Also love the detail on the engine.
I REALLY appreciate your input! I'm trying to find balance... This ISN'T a Scale Model by any stretch of the imagination. But why not make it look real-ish?

Besides, when I'm ready to Maiden This... for my Grandson - the Rubber Ducky as Pilot will destroy any "scale points"!! πŸ˜‹

He's my MIRACLE! Announced 3 days after my Daughter died... He and I have a very special bond.
Here he is, on my wallpaper, to show Anyone what an IDIOTIC idea it is to move to Arizona!!! πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯
IMG_20190815_022918.jpg

Note the TEMPERATURE at 2:02AM!!! 😲

And..... In about 10 years - LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS!!! 😎😁

PoorManRC

Master member
Sorry Guys.....
But for these updates, you're gonna have to watch the YouTube Videos! 😜

If you don't like my Band's Music, just use the Mute πŸ”‡!
The whole thing is subtitled.

Part 3

Part 3.5