My FT Simple Scout Build!

basslord1124

Master member
I've used packing tape for hinge reinforcement OR just do the FT trick of running a small bead of hot glue on the hinge. I've heard some people even use Elmer's glue...that might be a good super cheap alternative.

To me, some of the best tape is the strapping tape...although dunno if you'd wanna use it for hinges.

PoorManRC

Master member
I've used packing tape for hinge reinforcement OR just do the FT trick of running a small bead of hot glue on the hinge. I've heard some people even use Elmer's glue...that might be a good super cheap alternative.

To me, some of the best tape is the strapping tape...although dunno if you'd wanna use it for hinges.

Another great idea💡!
I've already used White Gorilla Glue to reinforce Hinges. I haven't actually been able to fly my Planes enough to see the advantage yet....
And I ALWAYS do the Hot Glue Hinge! 😉

The Tubby Cubby fiasco still has me a bit spooked. 😲

My P-40 came today!!! 😁😁 I'm considering doing a double thick Vstab... Á La @nerdnic
But with the Hinge in the center, with both sheets of paper on the inside.
To pull that off, I NEED an Iron, to Bevel the Airfoil to the center on the TE. I'm guessing that will give me a lot more strength, especially if I put Extreme Packing Tape in between the center papers.

..... but I don't want to hijack my OWN Thread!!! 😜

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
QUESTION:

I cannot remember where the CoG marks on the Wing are supposed to be....
20190921_020231-1.jpg

This is where she balances now...
Am I CLOSE?? 😲

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
QUESTION:

I cannot remember where the CoG marks on the Wing are supposed to be....
View attachment 143146
This is where she balances now...
Am I CLOSE?? 😲
If your servo is mounted according to the location shown in V1.0 of the FT plans then that is spot on! A photo showing more ot the wing would have been better as there are no real land marks on the pic you supplied!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
Hi PoorMan,

I measured my print. This is what I got. From the 45* double bevel line back to the cg, the distance is 2 3/16". I hope this helps.

Welcome! 😉
Thanks! I'll measure it a little later to check out my guesswork....
Thanks BOTH of you.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

For the guys who built a simple scout, what did you do to the bottom of the plane so the electronics don't fall out ? Do you put a hatch on the bottom ? The hole that I am talking about is behind the landing gear area.

Thanks for any ideas,
Al

PoorManRC

Master member
Hi Everyone,

For the guys who built a simple scout, what did you do to the bottom of the plane so the electronics don't fall out ? Do you put a hatch on the bottom ? The hole that I am talking about is behind the landing gear area.

Thanks for any ideas,
Al
Hi Al,
On this one (my Scout), I Hot Glued the Reciever to the inside of the Fuselage, it's a great spot to get to the plugs, and the ESC is above the Wing.

redbarton

Windscreen is coming...

Just a piece of Lexan scrap from a RC Truck Body, cut, and trimmed with a Sharpie!

Mounting it is a whole other issue! Most glues, including Hot Glue, DON'T stick to it....
Shoe Goo or the equivalent sticks to lexan. I used that and fiberglass tape all of the time to fix cracks in my lexan RC car/truck bodies.

Looking good...I hope to start a FT build of some sort soon. Tired of driving RC's only on the ground...

PoorManRC

Master member
Shoe Goo or the equivalent sticks to lexan. I used that and fiberglass tape all of the time to fix cracks in my lexan RC car/truck bodies.

Looking good...I hope to start a FT build of some sort soon. Tired of driving RC's only on the ground...

Thanks! 😊
Welcome aboard!! 👍👍 I've been into Ground RC since 1984... I know the old Shoe Goo trick. WORKS 90% of the time for sticking things to Lexan. I often recommend that myself....

EXCEPT, I live in Arizona! Almost HALF of the year, it's between 100-120 Degrees F!! (or up to 53 degrees Celsius!!) 🔥🔥😳
I can't even use it on my Crawlers - because it MELTS!

I got it covered now. Automotive Grade RTV Silicone. Don't know where you are, but I'd highly recommend it on Aircraft.
.... Just use sparingly, as it's a very heavy Adhesive. 😉

~ Being a relative N00b to RC Flight myself, I look forward to seeing you take to the Air!! 😎
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've learned a LOT about what DOESN'T work!!! Also learned some interesting solutions from my other two Hobbies (RC Crawling and Model Railroading), AND from Real Piloting experience that translates well into this COOL corner of the Hobby!

This whole Forum is AWESOME, and nearly Everyone here is willing and very able to help you!

@Grifflyer - nearly Ready.....
Waiting on the extreme Humidity, Rain, Monsoons and Haboobs to pass.

AND I'm still waiting for a definitive answer to WHERE exactly the Balance points are!!
Posted the question and Photos above.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've been busy learning to fly with ailerons and doing some more experimenting with FTFC20 entries and delta builds, but I have been checking up on some of your progress from time to time. You are doing a lot of good work on your builds, especially this one at the moment. Can't wait to see you get one of your planes in the air! This scout has an awesome color scheme and the build is looking very good, there's a strong chance this will be the one!

Last edited:

redbarton

Thanks! 😊
Welcome aboard!! 👍👍 I've been into Ground RC since 1984... I know the old Shoe Goo trick. WORKS 90% of the time for sticking things to Lexan. I often recommend that myself....

EXCEPT, I live in Arizona! Almost HALF of the year, it's between 100-120 Degrees F!! (or up to 53 degrees Celsius!!) 🔥🔥😳
I can't even use it on my Crawlers - because it MELTS!

I got it covered now. Automotive Grade RTV Silicone. Don't know where you are, but I'd highly recommend it on Aircraft.
.... Just use sparingly, as it's a very heavy Adhesive. 😉

~ Being a relative N00b to RC Flight myself, I look forward to seeing you take to the Air!! 😎
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've learned a LOT about what DOESN'T work!!! Also learned some interesting solutions from my other two Hobbies (RC Crawling and Model Railroading), AND from Real Piloting experience that translates well into this COOL corner of the Hobby!

This whole Forum is AWESOME, and nearly Everyone here is willing and very able to help you!
I didn't know Shoe Goo had that low of a melting point. However, it never gets much hotter than about 100 F here in Utah.

Thanks for the kind words. This forum is awesome. I've learned a lot reading everything already and watching a lot of videos. I placed a few orders yesterday. My FT Simple Cub is on the way along with motor/props, and...the Adtech glue gun! I had a Slow Stick that I'm cannibalizing for parts. That project didn't go well and it's been collecting dust for a few years. I decided it was time to get back up in the air!

PoorManRC

Master member
I didn't know Shoe Goo had that low of a melting point. However, it never gets much hotter than about 100 F here in Utah.

Thanks for the kind words. This forum is awesome. I've learned a lot reading everything already and watching a lot of videos. I placed a few orders yesterday. My FT Simple Cub is on the way along with motor/props, and...the Adtech glue gun! I had a Slow Stick that I'm cannibalizing for parts. That project didn't go well and it's been collecting dust for a few years. I decided it was time to get back up in the air!

I didn't realize either... Shoe Goo has been a go-to in the RC Ground Community for years. It's great for gluing very unlike pieces together! (Metal to Lexan, Plastic to Glass, etc.)
...... But it does have a lower than most adhesives.

My cheap Glue Gun just BLEW UP yesterday, stalling 4 build projects! 😞😭 I can't afford to replace it anytime soon....
It's great that you're starting out with the best! I'd love to have one of those but.......

Piece of Advice. As someone who has Built and FAILED MISERABLY with the Simple Cub...
If you're tempted to Paint her, WAIT until after a successful Maiden Flight.

DON'T skimp on Servos! You don't have to go too expensive, just don't get unknown Evilbay CRAP either!

Watch the Build Video until you're SICK of it!! 😜 You'll pick up little nuances that you might have missed before.

Josh Bixler is an OUTSTANDING Pilot!! He once flew a TOILET! 😲
The Cub is a good Flying Aircraft... But don't let Josh's immense Skill fool you into believing that it's exceptionally EASY to Fly!!

It's a good, Honest Airplane, with a wide Flight Envelope. But it's not a particularly Easy Plane for everyone!!

I say that carefully, because I don't want to put any preconceived notions in your head. You may find it to be the sweetest flying Plane ever!!
That's going to have to be up to YOU individually. 😉

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Keep it as LIGHT as possible!! Nothing else will matter more to a Novice flyer!

If you want to see an example of being over zealous, overconfident, building TOO HEAVY, getting confused by TOO much input....
And finally combining ALL that, on the day of the Maiden - overlooking the most BASIC things....

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/simple-cub-with-a-twist.59505/

MY Simple Cub build! A good Lesson.
Although there were several mitigating factors - it boiled down to MY forgetting BASICS, losing Focus and chucking Common Sense out the Window!!! 😖

It was a FAILURE, but it taught me so much.