My FT Simple Scout Build!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just because the motor isn't or won't be mounted to a power pod doesn't mean it's stuck in its current location and not swappable. It's 3 bullet connectors and 4 screws to remove and install on any plane. If the b pack will fly the Scout it should be able to pull around the P-40, slowly but it will be enough to maiden possibly. I don't have a B pack motor myself but I have seen similar situations with the C pack motor. Case in point, there is a guy on the forums here who built a 150% Cub and equipped it with a C pack. Physics dictates that by the way of it being a bigger plane it should be heavier then the normal sized Cub, and he maidened it and it flew fine. It may work.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just because the motor isn't or won't be mounted to a power pod doesn't mean it's stuck in its current location and not swappable. It's 3 bullet connectors and 4 screws to remove and install on any plane. If the b pack will fly the Scout it should be able to pull around the P-40, slowly but it will be enough to maiden possibly. I don't have a B pack motor myself but I have seen similar situations with the C pack motor. Case in point, there is a guy on the forums here who built a 150% Cub and equipped it with a C pack. Physics dictates that by the way of it being a bigger plane it should be heavier then the normal sized Cub, and he maidened it and it flew fine. It may work.
My spitfire can fly off the b pack - it’s a little slow, but not bad at all. I actually maidened it with the b pack if I remember right, and then switched to the c pack later. I thought it was going to be a lot faster than it was😂. In other words, I think you would be fine flying the p-40 on the b pack - it would be noticeably slower, but not that bad at all.

PoorManRC

Master member
SOUND suggestions, BOTH of you. 😊👍👍
You know by now, I tend to build HEAVY. Even when I try not to!! 😣

I'd be better with less speed, until I'm a better RC Pilot anyway.... So I have been thinking. 😮
A B Pack Motor can turn a 10x4.5 Prop on 3S, and I'm running a 45 Amp ESC in the P-40...
It MIGHT work, especially since I increased the height (chord) of the Wing, FOR better lower speed handling.
I am so Worried about Tail Weight - especially after what I did for a Steerable Tail Wheel (I'm about to post in the P-40 thread), that I moved the Rudder Servo forward to about at the Wing...

Tr33s

I didn't realize either... Shoe Goo has been a go-to in the RC Ground Community for years. It's great for gluing very unlike pieces together! (Metal to Lexan, Plastic to Glass, etc.)
...... But it does have a lower than most adhesives.

My cheap Glue Gun just BLEW UP yesterday, stalling 4 build projects! 😞😭 I can't afford to replace it anytime soon....
It's great that you're starting out with the best! I'd love to have one of those but.......

Piece of Advice. As someone who has Built and FAILED MISERABLY with the Simple Cub...
If you're tempted to Paint her, WAIT until after a successful Maiden Flight.

DON'T skimp on Servos! You don't have to go too expensive, just don't get unknown Evilbay CRAP either!

Watch the Build Video until you're SICK of it!! 😜 You'll pick up little nuances that you might have missed before.

Josh Bixler is an OUTSTANDING Pilot!! He once flew a TOILET! 😲
The Cub is a good Flying Aircraft... But don't let Josh's immense Skill fool you into believing that it's exceptionally EASY to Fly!!

It's a good, Honest Airplane, with a wide Flight Envelope. But it's not a particularly Easy Plane for everyone!!

I say that carefully, because I don't want to put any preconceived notions in your head. You may find it to be the sweetest flying Plane ever!!
That's going to have to be up to YOU individually. 😉

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Keep it as LIGHT as possible!! Nothing else will matter more to a Novice flyer!

If you want to see an example of being over zealous, overconfident, building TOO HEAVY, getting confused by TOO much input....
And finally combining ALL that, on the day of the Maiden - overlooking the most BASIC things....

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/simple-cub-with-a-twist.59505/

MY Simple Cub build! A good Lesson.
Although there were several mitigating factors - it boiled down to MY forgetting BASICS, losing Focus and chucking Common Sense out the Window!!! 😖

It was a FAILURE, but it taught me so much.
Thanks for the tips! I built the Tiny Trainer and Explorer just for fun, but I didn’t pay attention to the type of foam board, so they weigh twice what the FT specs are. Darn. I didn’t have a chance to fly them, winds are brutal here in the Four Corners lately.
So starting over. So many hours of cutting and building! Going to start on the Simple Scout next week with the kit and rob servos and motors from the heavy planes. Thanks again...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks for the tips! I built the Tiny Trainer and Explorer just for fun, but I didn’t pay attention to the type of foam board, so they weigh twice what the FT specs are. Darn. I didn’t have a chance to fly them, winds are brutal here in the Four Corners lately.
So starting over. So many hours of cutting and building! Going to start on the Simple Scout next week with the kit and rob servos and motors from the heavy planes. Thanks again...
You will love the Scout. It's a great plane to fly and learn on. If you take care of it, it will take care of you for a long time... or just keep building new ones. there are legions of people that are dedicated to the Scout. I have built 4, 2 Mini's and 2 standards. Still have a flyable Mini on the shelf actually. Excellent choice.

I do have a build thread on mine, has some tips and tricks in there, plus @Marty72 did his build on there as well. The link is in my signature if you want to check it out. There are building tips on my YouTube channel if you want some great How-To's, link is in the signature for reference.

Have fun and good luck my friend

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You will love the Scout. It's a great plane to fly and learn on. If you take care of it, it will take care of you for a long time... or just keep building new ones. there are legions of people that are dedicated to the Scout. I have built 4, 2 Mini's and 2 standards. Still have a flyable Mini on the shelf actually. Excellent choice.

I do have a build thread on mine, has some tips and tricks in there, plus @Marty72 did his build on there as well. The link is in my signature if you want to check it out. There are building tips on my YouTube channel if you want some great How-To's, link is in the signature for reference.

Have fun and good luck my friend
Have you flown the mini scout recently?

PoorManRC

Master member

GLAD I can help! The Scout is an awesome Flyer. Contrary to the video, many believe that it's EASIER to fly with Ailerons... 4 channel isn't as daunting as some believe. As a former 1:1 Pilot, I actually find it more natural, as that's what turns the real ones!!
Rudder is mainly for Yaw control... But if you know Channel Mixing, adding a little Rudder to the Aileron Channel makes nice, easy coordinated turns! 😉

moret

GLAD I can help! The Scout is an awesome Flyer. Contrary to the video, many believe that it's EASIER to fly with Ailerons... 4 channel isn't as daunting as some believe. As a former 1:1 Pilot, I actually find it more natural, as that's what turns the real ones!!
Rudder is mainly for Yaw control... But if you know Channel Mixing, adding a little Rudder to the Aileron Channel makes nice, easy coordinated turns! 😉

I agree 4 channel is easier to fly then 3 channel. Unless taking off or landing you can almost forget about the rudder till after you get more time in th e air.. But before you mention it, I did not think about that I have an old pilot ticket and that may be why I think it is more natural.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I learned on the old speedster, then built the scout as my first 4 channel. Great plane, and boy did I use those ailerons, and I was really not using my rudder. I didn’t really realize ho little I used my rudder until I started doing 3D flying. Rudder is a staple in all those tricks!

PoorManRC

Master member
I HOPE to get this up SOON...
Few more small details to do. My Hot Glue Gun BLEW UP (causing 2nd degree burns on my Hand!!) 😭

Of COURSE I can't afford to replace it, till I don't know when.
I'm anxious to get the P-40 done as well......

PATIENCE.... 😖😣