My FT Spitfire Recce (and why does the paper covering of the foam board suck so much)

Eath

Hi dudes. Just finished my Recce Spitfire and had the first 5 flights. Flies wonderful on the Power Pack B; very nice flight characteristics! This Spit is inspired by an high altitude recce version that was used for photo reconnaissance. There seem to have been several flights over the speed of 600mph (during dives) with these things! This was my first foam board build. I was happy so far with it but I am noticing that the paper that is covering the foam board tends to separate from the foam rather easily. It is getting rather annoying. The paper starts to peel of during every flight on a different spot (see last flight it peeled of on the elevator)! Also, the paint job seems to sratch off rather easily. Any hints on how I can prevent this?

Thank you,
Eath

Attachments

• IMG_3711.JPG
    IMG_3711.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @degriz, the hot iron will seal the edges. A covering iron or a clothing iron will work equally well. You want the temperature to be about 200-250F. Just be careful not to get it too hot, don't want to destroy the foam.

Waterproofing you plane with Minwax will also help. A bead of hot glue around the edges of raw form will also work. I use a hot iron after the glue will spread it.

Here is a link for more information.
DTFB edge treatment | FliteTest Forum

Winglet

Your Spit looks great! What a great first build. Yep, just quickly iron around the edges. Better if it isn' already painted.