My HK 6ch Tx has range less than 100ft

I went out to fly my AXN today and I ended up losing control of the plane whenever it'd go further than 100 feet away (give or take). I was using the Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx with almost fresh batteries (8 AA's), and I was flying on a flat field covered in hard snow. Temp around 40 degrees Fahrenheit and somewhat windy. Stock setup on the AXN with a 1300mAh 3s.

It would take off just fine and then very soon after I'd lose control and the wind would take it away. Once I realized why it was so hard to fly, I tested the range with the plane sitting on the ground, and sure enough the range of the radio was lacking. I tried moving the receiver to the outside of the plane and that accomplished nothing. I have used this setup with this radio before and it has always worked fine!

Any ideas what's going on, guys?

aiidanwings

I would start by checking the connections inside the radio.

I have an old 6x from HK that was badly corroded straight out of the box.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Another vulnerability of the Flysky gear is the coax cable just where it comes out of the box of the receiver (as in, the problem's could be at the receiver end).

earthsciteach

I second Lobster's assessment. That's why I just switched to FrSky. I've suffered too many crashes from those crappy antenna wires.

Another vulnerability of the Flysky gear is the coax cable just where it comes out of the box of the receiver (as in, the problem's could be at the receiver end).

I think that just might be it. I have noticed for quite some time now that the sheath on that cable has split right where it connects to the receiver. But it looks like the actual wire inside has a good connection... How would I be able to fix it?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
You could cut the coaxial cable above the damaged bit and resolver the shielding and core to the appropriate spots on the receiver board. I've repaired a couple this way, but it does require some skill to solder it correctly and you should always do a range test after modifying anything. For total piece of mind, you could get a new receiver...

I will most likely buy a new receiver. It looks impossible to repair, the spots to solder are tiny. I'll at least give it a try though. It's already broken if I mess it up

I will most likely buy a new receiver. It looks impossible to repair, the spots to solder are tiny. I'll at least give it a try though. It's already broken if I mess it up.