My HZ Super Cub on floats - meh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthsciteach

Sooo... I'm not thrilled with the performance of my SC on floats. I just don't like the way it flies. Now, I do understand that I can expect less performance with the extra drag and different weight distribution. But, it just flies weird. Its pitchy as hell. I even added extra nose weight to try to counter this. Maybe I just need to get used to it.:confused:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Did you randomly add noseweight? Or did you balance it with the floats on?

I don't remember the floats on mine causing any troubles. Other than encouraging me to fly over my arch nemesis... water.

earthsciteach

B-Monkey: No, as I have upgraded my SC to brushless and 4-channels. Well, I had been flying on an 8x4e, but did upgrade to an 8x6e recently.

F-Monkey: Are you asking that I do things scientifically? I knocked some wood together, bent a bird feeder and brought in a coyote to make this thing fly! What more do you want? Scientific evidence??? Seriously-I say we pitch that idea we talked about over shots of whatever Sunday night. I know I can find a plastic critter to photoshop. The one I have in mind is bright yellow-very inconspicuous.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Sunday night? I don't remember much. It seems some fool convinced me to drink every time some guy with a green face said "what was that?" during a tv show on Animal Planet. Last thing I recall was thinking I was barely going to put a dent in that bottle of amber liquid... Next thing I knew, I woke up in the woods, covered in coyote poo, surrounded by large crisp barefoot, footprints, and an awful "methane" taste in my mouth.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I noticed almost no change in the way mine flew going from wheels to floats and back. It took a bit more throttle to cruise is all. Landed faster, floated. Dumb question but how was it flying before? Did you have to trim it a lot to make it fly right? Check all your throws, CG, etc. What size motor are you running? What battery and esc?

earthsciteach

Currently, I am flying a 2200mah, 11.1v. I install it above the battery box. She flies beautifully on wheels with this battery! The floats add a great amount of area to the plane. It HAS to cause some change in performance! Prior-I did things with this plane that were just ridiculous! She is heavenly without the floats!

Fishbonez

Are you asking that I do things scientifically? I knocked some wood together, bent a bird feeder and brought in a coyote to make this thing fly! What more do you want? Scientific evidence??? Seriously-I say we pitch that idea we talked about over shots of whatever Sunday night. I know I can find a plastic critter to photoshop. The one I have in mind is bright yellow-very inconspicuous.

Thats funny I dont care what anyone says thats just plain funny

Has it snowed yet Teach? Skiing a plane is a lot of fun making it do cookies and then trying to take off is quite funny, Yes I was bored and Sam Adams made me do it.

earthsciteach

Bonez, this winter is ridiculous! Today the high was 48 F! I was outside with my sleeves rolled up! Crazy warm!
It snowed a week before Halloween-6 inches. I have NEVER seen snow that early. But, its been warm since then. Say what you will, but the climate, she is a-changin'!

Fishbonez

Bonez, this winter is ridiculous! Today the high was 48 F! I was outside with my sleeves rolled up! Crazy warm!
It snowed a week before Halloween-6 inches. I have NEVER seen snow that early. But, its been warm since then. Say what you will, but the climate, she is a-changin'!

Nahh climate aint changin' Mother Nature just sucking up to ya because Indian Summers lead to beast of winter weather coming at you late in the year. pssst dont tell her I told ya but mother nature is a biatch

Just go out with them floats anf have a blast

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Yes, it does change some, but I guess I was saying that I am still able to do most of the things I could before. I can still take off and land really short, fly really slow, fly inverted, do loops and rolls, even inverted flat spins. It really flies well with the floats. Check out the videos. I always bring the floats just in case there's water. I throw them on and go flying. No real adjusting required.

earthsciteach

Ok, I'll stop whining! LOL! She still does fly decently, just different.

FMonkey-I merely "suggested" a drinking game. You had free will to choose to participate or not. Don't blame me if you wandered off into the woods where some skunk ape had its way with you!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Ok, I'll stop whining! LOL! She still does fly decently, just different.

Perhaps i didn't say that right lol, I just meant that it "shouldn't" be all that different, maybe there's an issue with your floats. I have had the landing gear get pushed back after a crash which threw the CG way off and made it fly weird. Also had one float higher than the other and it rolled to one side.

earthsciteach

Alright... I'm thinking about throwing my kayak in the car and taking the Cub to a local lake. Now I just have to pull myself away from the "Rocket City Rednecks" marathon. They are making a urine filtering system for $100 in this episode. I HAVE too see this one through!

Fishbonez

Go for it Teach and just think that urine filter may come in handy if you ever get stuck on the lake with nothing but you your kayak and your cub :D

earthsciteach

Sadly, I got into a heated fb message conversation with a fellow teacher. Told an obnoxious student like it was yesterday. May take heat for it, but would rather not have a job than have to pretend lazy insubordination (from the viewpoint of a 14 yo) is a way to get through life.

Didn't make it to the lake, but I may yet throw the wheels on the Cub. Its getting dark, but I did buy a bunch of glow sticks last week!

earthsciteach

Update - I flew the Cub, out behind my house, in high winds. While in flight, the front wing saddle flew off! I can only surmise that the high winds, combined with full throttle, caused the leading edge of the wing to lift off of the fuse. I immediately chopped throttle and brought her in for a safe landing. Assessed the situation, determined all was ok, and took off again. I was flying along nicely, a big gust came up, pulled up on the stick and she rotated in pitch as if the wings were pinned in place. Then, she started flitting about like a butterfly. She came down fairly gently. The fuse was broken right at the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. It appears that the rotation was so forceful that the fuse snapped. Interesting...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
That is a known weak point on the cub.
Usually is crash damage though, not in flight damage.
But, when we are flying these things and exerting forces way beyond what they were designed for, things happen.
Having said all that it's and easy repair and there are a bunch of cubs still flying that have had this repair done.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
teach, are you talking about the plastic piece that the rubber bands hook on or the front of the fuselage where the wings sits? I've blown the plastic rods out. I gave up on them and used #2 Ticonderoga pencils from my glove box. Cut them to length and I actually like them better lol. I bet I know a place you might find some :rolleyes: As far as the fuselage breaking, I broke mine vertically right under the front and back of the wing. Broke the tail clean off as well once. Clear tape and glue fixes all.

Status
Not open for further replies.