My latest scratch build, trying a wing this time

Liemavick

Mentor
I'm one servo short of being able to glue the wing shut. It is in transit, hopefully Friday I'll get my box of supplies. Anyways I took pencil to foam board and went for it.

DSCN0061.JPG DSCN0063.JPG DSCN0065.JPG DSCN0066.JPG DSCN0067.JPG DSCN0070.JPG

So far I think it may fly. I still have to design my wing ends and build a lid for the electronics box.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Looks good!
I don't know what the constant chord will do though.
On the next one, sand the underside of the trailing edge, as that will reduce turbulence over your control surfaces.
Also, this might help http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/.

Liemavick

Mentor
Teach, the pod goes up to the tip within 1", with the rounded fuselage front the battery will be within 2" of the tip, over all length of fus is 12". I have 3 choices on batteries that have the nose weight Im going to need.
4 3/4 oz, 6oz, and 8.5 oz. If need be I have lead too. The motor will be a Suppo 1100kv so not to heavy in the tail.

FA, I can still sand the trailing edge, no problem there thanks. Whats your concern on the constant chord?
DSCN0068.JPG

earthsciteach

My first thought was the constant chord would cause the wing to be more tail-heavy than a tapered wing. Then, I started staring at my Assassin and wondering if the constant chord wouldn't also push the center of lift further back thereby offsetting the problem. :confused:

Liemavick

Mentor
Helping with "questions" is like being back in school...oh wait I forgot who Im chatting with. lol The wing will be tapered, first set of chords is 3 foam high, then I stepped down to two, the trailing edge blends in smooth. I needed the thickness so I could hide my servo in the wing, it may not fly but it will look clean.

Liemavick

Mentor
I thought chords were what you guys were calling the foam strips I laid in the wing. I have so much to learn, but now know what a wings chord is lol So the center CG is a good thing on a wing?

earthsciteach

Wings are pretty cg sensitive because they are short-coupled by nature. That's sort of a way of explaining that flying wings are cg sensitive by saying they are cg sensitive. :p It has to do with the distance between the center of gravity, center of lift and the force that resists the downward pitching moment of a wing (usually a horizontal stabilizer). I'm going to stop now because, as I read this, I am annoying even myself.

Liemavick

Mentor
If I understood that I wouldnt need Flight Test or any of you guys! So I wonder how many props Ranger Monkey has broken by now?

Liemavick

Mentor
Progress photos. Still not done rigging and cleaning her up. Did a couple of glide tests with battery and motor installed and shes pretty level. Don't know what that means once shes under power, but Im going to find out. :)
DSCN0071.JPG DSCN0072.JPG DSCN0073.JPG

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
What a clean and beautiful build!

I wish mine could turn out as nice looking, even once.

Am I seeing things, or did you build that to accept a swappables series pod?

That would be awesome!

Liemavick

Mentor
Thanks FM, I use photo shop to clean up all my build pictures so the planes look nice. In reality they look more like a shoe box thats been run over by a lawn mower, gotta love P.S. :) In all seriousness TY, hopefully she will fly as good as she looks. As far as the prop comment, that was directed the other evening when you were out maidening your Tricopter. It sounds like you have one stable machine on your hands, good stuff!

Brian

Liemavick

Mentor
Ok I put a 1100kv swinging a 8x4e prop on this thing. Amps look within range and I have plenty of push. fully loaded CG is a little more back then I think I want, about 3" in from end of pod. I may be bringing along some lead on its maiden to slide in the nose. Any wing flying tips Im all ears!

Thanks,
Brian

DSCN0075.JPG

Last edited:
[/HTML]
Ok I put a 1100kv swinging a 8x4e prop on this thing. Amps look within range and I have plenty of push. fully loaded CG is a little more back then I think I want, about 3" in from end of pod. I may be bringing along some lead on its maiden to slide in the nose. Any wing flying tips Im all ears!

yeh. Don't crash!

Attachments

• Roll-on-floor.gif
    Roll-on-floor.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: