my little trainer

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The foamboard started out as foam ceiling tiles 2 x 2 feet, 1/2 inch thick. I sanded down the pattern and the back side reinforcement, so i was left with 1/4 inch thick foam. I glued three tiles together with hot glue to make larger board. Then i glued cooking paper on both sides and i was ready to go! :D total cost: 2 euros for foam, 1 euro for cooking paper, 2 euros for PVA glue. Sanding took me about 30 minutes!

Very creative.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So i got back from the field! I broke the landing gear at first try and took it off! Also broke the rudder, but that was a easy fix! See what happened next! :D Im still smiling! :D That was actually my first time flying an rc aircraft of any type! :D

Congratulations, what a great flight.

kaurmik1

Its still too heavy. I used 100% power most of the time. I tried with 75% but when i tried to turn, it started losing altitude rapidly. Also im using a drone prop, i modified it to fit my motor. The prop didnt come with any data. See the pic! Can i use more powerful motor with my 30A controller and 12v battery? Current one is 1000kv.

Attachments

• IMG_20181026_063518.jpg
    IMG_20181026_063518.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181026_063608.jpg
    IMG_20181026_063608.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 0

d8veh

Elite member
I think it's your battery that's limiting the power. Is it a lithium one? If so, that's the problem. Also other types of cells can be unsuitable too. You need a battery that can supply around 40 amps, even if your motor doesn't take that much current. Lipos are not very expensive but you need to buy a lipo balance charger too.
These chargers work OK and are not too expensive:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bih...449,searchweb201603_55,ppcSwitch_0_ppcChannel
Here are some not too expensive lios. 1300mAh would be about right for your plane, and itt should be able to provide up to 50A.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...lgo_pvid=e78e6b99-e142-479b-ba93-af911c6f609b

basslord1124

Master member
Love the flight video...flies pretty good. Just need to get the weight down somehow. If only we could do something about the battery as I think that is the big culprit.

Prop looks like a 9x4.5, which actually (from my experience) seems like a pretty standard size for the motor/size of the plane.

Adding even an 1100, 1200, or 1300KV motor will put out more RPMs but at the same time, they also are gonna weigh a little more than your current motor. So you may get some slight improvement or none at all.

You could change your prop pitch up a tad (like to a 6)...but you might need to watch your amp draw and you "may" have to get a slightly bigger ESC.

kaurmik1

I think it's your battery that's limiting the power. Is it a lithium one? If so, that's the problem. Also other types of cells can be unsuitable too. You need a battery that can supply around 40 amps, even if your motor doesn't take that much current. Lipos are not very expensive but you need to buy a lipo balance charger too.
These chargers work OK and are not too expensive:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bih...449,searchweb201603_55,ppcSwitch_0_ppcChannel
Here are some not too expensive lios. 1300mAh would be about right for your plane, and itt should be able to provide up to 50A.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...lgo_pvid=e78e6b99-e142-479b-ba93-af911c6f609b
Thanks for the info! As i noted before im using a powerdrill battery! Its 1300mah and 12v ni-mh and im charging it with the powerdrill original charger. Problem for me is that if i order batterys online, then i can wait them forever to arrive. They dont put lipos on airmail! :D we have one store that sells batteries for drones but its very limited choice and it takes forever to order from them! I feel like i live on the moon! :D

kaurmik1

Love the flight video...flies pretty good. Just need to get the weight down somehow. If only we could do something about the battery as I think that is the big culprit.

Prop looks like a 9x4.5, which actually (from my experience) seems like a pretty standard size for the motor/size of the plane.

Adding even an 1100, 1200, or 1300KV motor will put out more RPMs but at the same time, they also are gonna weigh a little more than your current motor. So you may get some slight improvement or none at all.

You could change your prop pitch up a tad (like to a 6)...but you might need to watch your amp draw and you "may" have to get a slightly bigger ESC.
That was the reply i was waiting for! Thank you! If i can spare some money for new battery, ill do it, but im searching for less expensive wais to do it! Sorry about my english! :D im still learning! Ill take all in! :D i have a cnc machine, so my next plane could be better than this ! I just need encourage from you all! :D

basslord1124

Master member
That was the reply i was waiting for! Thank you! If i can spare some money for new battery, ill do it, but im searching for less expensive wais to do it! Sorry about my english! :D im still learning! Ill take all in! :D i have a cnc machine, so my next plane could be better than this ! I just need encourage from you all! :D

No problem. Just speaking from my experience. If only the battery were the easiest thing to fix in this equation. You may wanna check out ecalc too...with it you can punch in different parameters on your power setup and see what work better. I ran a 1200KV motor, 30A ESC, 3S 2200Mah lipo, and a 9x6 prop in a model that weighed about 40g less than yours and it flew fine as long as the winds were fairly calm. I think the max amps it drew at full throttle was like 22 or 23amps. The weight included battery weight. After looking at that, you may not need a bigger ESC. I would do some ground testing first to see how well it'll do if you change the prop or something else. If you don't have a wattmeter just run it full throttle and other various throttles a little bit and check the temps of your ESC and motor frequently. Make sure they aren't getting too hot and hopefully you won't get the magic smoke. Checking out ecalc can help with this too. Good luck!

kaurmik1

No problem. Just speaking from my experience. If only the battery were the easiest thing to fix in this equation. You may wanna check out ecalc too...with it you can punch in different parameters on your power setup and see what work better. I ran a 1200KV motor, 30A ESC, 3S 2200Mah lipo, and a 9x6 prop in a model that weighed about 40g less than yours and it flew fine as long as the winds were fairly calm. I think the max amps it drew at full throttle was like 22 or 23amps. The weight included battery weight. After looking at that, you may not need a bigger ESC. I would do some ground testing first to see how well it'll do if you change the prop or something else. If you don't have a wattmeter just run it full throttle and other various throttles a little bit and check the temps of your ESC and motor frequently. Make sure they aren't getting too hot and hopefully you won't get the magic smoke. Checking out ecalc can help with this too. Good luck!
Already tried the ground heat test in my bedroom! My girlfriend doesent like it, but she is still suportive! It didnt get hot with my current setup! My girlfriend filmed the video! I should make some subs for that! :D

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Problem for me is that if i order batterys online, then i can wait them forever to arrive.

So while you waiting for you lighter battery to arrive, you could try a larger wing. More wing would reduce the wing loading. I'm guessing you have a 5-6 inch wide wing, try making one 7-8 inches wide and see if it flies better.

kaurmik1

so sorry guys! i had really a bad year, bu i managed to get real foamboard and made my secon plane last winter! vieos comeing up!

Attachments

• 94745036_3161176250593824_5545812813710098432_o.jpg
    94745036_3161176250593824_5545812813710098432_o.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0