My Micro has Gremlins

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
The following journey is one of joy, pain, and expense. Continue reading if you think you can handle it. It’s clear my micro “Mogwai” has been wet, has been in bright light, and has been fed after midnight. We all know how this story goes...

Early this summer, I was bit by the micro brushless craze after watching this video on the Eachine Lizard 95. I jumped into the 2” scene head first. My new $120 micro was on the way on the slow boat from China, literally. Once it finally arrived, my first real change (because I rarely can leave things alone) was to replace the circular polarized antenna with a longer dipole for durability. I also always reverse my motor/prop direction to hopefully reduce prop wash.

IMG_2804.jpg

Then came my first real maiden. I shouldn’t have forced it in the tall wet grass. Never get your Mogwai wet! Something clearly went wrong with the new antenna, as I was having video issues. Crash! The reversed props quickly filled the esc/fc/receiver stack with tiny shards of wet, soggy grass. But I was determined to keep flying. Well keep crashing as it turned out. So wet it killed the camera and reset all settings on the flight controller (I’m assuming the boot pads shorted from the wet grass). That night I pulled everything apart the micro for the first, but definitely not the last, time to try and remove some of the gremlins.

Luckily, I was able to get the FC and escs working well again. I even convinced myself to invest in some silicone conformal coating (while expensive, a wise investment). I ordered a second AIO camera. Then came the failsafe issues. The eachine FrSky receiver in the mini cube stack started regularly failsafeing. Time for something more reliable, a FrSky XM+!!!

Around mid-summer, new micro frame caught my eye. It was mpbiv’s XLR-2. Man, was it sexy.

It was a tight re-build, as the XLR was designed for a shorter stack. I ended up having to flip the FC to get everything to fit. The small camera mount on the XLR has the AIO camera precariously rubber banded to a small tight carbon plate. After a few crashes, I decided it would be a great idea to split the camera from the VTX. Now, I generally consider myself a very good solderer, but having to solder five 24 awg wires to reconnect this AIO was a huge pain. Ultimately, I killed the AIO. RIP. Time for the third AIO. That patient’s transplant went much better, and I was back to flying again.

Until ... the bright lights and poor image quality of an AIO camera left me longing for more. I was ready for better video. I deserved better video. It was time for a RunCam Micro Swift. However, it can’t fit on the XLR. The perfect excuse to try a new frame ;)

This time, the Atmospheric Adventures Aeolus was chosen with a clear TPU canopy.

I chose the VTX03 for a 25,50,200 mW transmitter from RaceDayQuads. The first one had a defect, and the vendor was quick to replace it. With the replacement installed, I set off to remaiden this micro again. The RunCam Micro was a huge improvement (even if the DVR and YouTube compression kill the final video). The first little cruise around the neighborhood resulted in a dislodged antenna, no video, and another crash. After ordering another VTX03 and antenna, I had some great flight and decent crashes. I was enjoying the micro more than ever!!!

My last flight last after those videos resulted in cut and bent antennas on my XM+. While it’s generally easy trimming antennas to the 1/4 2.4ghz wavelength (31.23mm), everything is tougher on a micro. Especially on a micro with a tiny canopy. It must have taken 15 minutes to feed the antennas back into the tubes correctly.

Saturday after I completed the antenna maintenance, I decided to go for a little slow stroll down the street with a 950 mah 2S. I normally fly with a 450 mah 3S, but the 2S was all I had charged. The weather was so nice!!! This 950 mah doubled the dry weight of the micro, but should result in easy 7+ min flights. But then....

I clipped a power wire. Crashed straight onto the road, and I think, bound up a motor or two. I couldn’t take off to limp home, so I started the walk-of-shame we’ve all had to do. It may seem odd that I didn’t know whether one or two of the motors were seized from the crash. However, as I walked to the micro, I nervously watched a car approaching.

Thankfully, it appears to have only clipped one of the corners. Both rear motors are completely seized, but it didn’t even break my Gemfan 2040 triblades!!! I think I’ve officially settled on a new prop for this micro. The hit-and-run resulted in another damaged antenna. Luckily, I already had all my supplies on the kitchen table.

So now I have Emax 1106 7500kv red bottoms on the way for my micro. Here’s hoping that I can finally keep it in the air!!!!

Lizard 95 -$120
Conformal coating - $20
AIO #1 - $20
XLR-2 - $15
XM+ - $15
AIO #2 - $20
Aeolus - $30
RunCam Micro - $35
VTX03 #1 - $14
VTX03 #2 - $14
Red Bottoms - $52
——————————
Flying my brushless micro wherever I want - Priceless

(ps - Thats more than I’ve spent on either of the 5” I’ve built)

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I feel your pain my friend, I feel it deeply. Nothing but problems with my Creampuff.. 2 FC's, 3 receivers, 1 AIO, 2 broken motors and now I think I've killed my micro swift. Probably not quite what I have in my FT210 - that was pretty pimp when I bought the stuff, but still a huge amount of money for the time I've actually spent flying it. It is a blast when it's working right, and with the new laws coming here in Canaduh it will be the only way to freestyle legally, so i will need to get it working again at some point. Unfortunately winter is here in full force now, outdoor season feels like 10 years away ;)

French

Sean, I wouldn’t wish Canada’s winters or drone regulations on anyone. Keep your chin up, man.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ohh now I do not feel so bad with all I went thru on mine. They all have that one main weakness.. the video system and if ya cant see ya cant fly.

For your video conversions I don't know what you use but You Tube seriously butchers the raw video for sure. I have been using VSDC free video editor for at least a year or more now and have figured out something with my last video I did. I had been converting to the highest quality MP4 VSDC could do as every time I tried earlier to do the recommended by You Tube H2.64 conversions in native resolutions but when they posted the sound would be gone or the video looked like you were trying to watch it thru a minecraft window.

Now I have been playing more with it since I got my Gremlin video sorted and I went back to the H2.64 conversion but set the resolution to upscale to 1024 x 768 instead of the 640 x 480 native resolution. The video is not too bad on the scale up and makes it better to view AFTER it gets Screwgoggled. Then just set sound to 22 khz to lessen the file size for uploading vs native or the default 32 khz.

As I have been playing slalom the trees I have hit them pretty hard more then a few times. I have been lucky enough to not damage anything other then bending the stock props so far. As you see in most of my crappy videos I stay over grass or the alfalfa patch and I have dropped quads easily over 75 to 100 feet at times with only prop damage.

Take a look at the Runcam set up video I made. The colors come up nicely and the light is not so harsh. It also makes scraggle and thin wires more easily seen at longer ranges. A few feet more makes a difference in reaction times if you have goo spacial awareness to think when they are near to be ready to look for them. My problem with them seems to be finding a good focus. What flys nice does not translate into recording nice it seems. Also I am learning if you let the camera have more light when filming the video is clearer and can always be adjusted in post or by the simple goggle controls when flying.

French

Thanks, Bill. I’ll try out your RunCam settings for sure.

I have the worst DVR video workflow. First, I transcode the video from my fatsharks to MP4 using MS Easy Movie Maker (free, Win 10). Second, I load the new files into GoPro Studio (can’t load them in native format) and convert the file to avi. Then I edit the file, add music, and then save the file back to an MP4 using GoPro Studio’s YouTube settings. Last, I upload to YouTube.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I gave up on VSCD free and have been using Lightworks free. The files it creates are much smaller and YT is less likely to butcher the snot out of them. I have a standalone groundstation that is cobbled together with an RX, DVR, and 7" LCD that I record with. I can put it up higher where the signal is less likely to get blocked. The DVR I use is the same as this https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22_227&products_id=6654 and I record in 720p. I also process in 720p and the results usually come out pretty decent.

Cheers!
'Bug

French

Also, I haven’t fronted the cash for a diversity module and patch antenna yet. I’m just rocking the stock fatshark attitude V4 module with the screen and a far view pagoda.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I use a standard issue Aomway RHCP and a standard issue dipole. Should make or get a better dipole though as the Gremlin and Taz both have dipoles and the CP antenna is probably not doing anything at all. I have a lefthand polarized set now with an IBcrazy CP and a patch for the goggles and got a LHCP Pagoda to try at FFE. Never set em up for the Alien as I have to replace the rear motors to fly with out doing my head in from the shakes. Never did physical damage to it but I darn sure wore out the bearings in all four motors now. Which is why I tried to scam a set of Hypetrains outta the guys when they did the FTCC podcast with Skitzo and Stingy and Gapit.

French

My new motors are already here!!! I love RaceDayQuads. I hope I didn’t go overboard with 7500kv. Based on the specs, they should draw near the same amperage as my 1104 6kv

French

The 1106 red bottoms really look and feel nice. I can’t wait to get them in the air. Last night, I also realized that the 2S 950mah I was flying is actually only ~45g, so it should be a viable candidate to leisurely fly with this micro

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I was flying mine at a hefty 187 g AUW and it was still very flyable but that was 3s when I tested it. The stock ones are plenty powerful but with them red bottoms you should have zero problems well into 200g I would say if I had to guess. Just be sure to get us some videos that are better then my crappy ones.

French

I should be sub-130g with either battery. :) The micro is now 83g dry with the micro Swift and 1106s. That is up ~15g from the original configuration.

The 2S is 45g. The 3S (half the capacity) is 42g.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yours should shoot n scoot then. Mine is AUW 147g with 450 mah 3s on it. I do have longer metal stand offs and metal screws + a metal camera mount on mine. I could lose some weight but Id rather have the rigidity.

French

I took out the 2” today with the new 1106 redbottoms. They are really nice motors, but they are power hogs. My Tattu 450mah 3S sagged to 3.4V for most of the 2 min flight. They did come back up to 3.8V/cell after resting though. Me thinks I should have stuck with 1104 6000kv motors... I may need to pick up some Tattu 650mahs :rolleyes:

This should be the last video that I use my old crappy workflow. I just downloaded Lightworks Free and now I can work in one workspace for my DVR footage (the free version only allows a 720p export). Thanks, Litterbug!!!

I just watched it again. That’s crap. Here’s a video from my whoop (AIO camera) of my young cousin flying for the first time - https://youtu.be/7oXwza4nblw

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Dang that looks fun. Really need to get my batteries charged and fly. Been so wet lately, and now dark and cold too. <sigh> indoor Soon.... very soon....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe I see your whoop steers by the Stevie Wonder effect too!. Gotta lean into them turns hard to make em work :p That is an AWESOME room to fly indoors too. You have a beautiful property mate.

Them are some really low flight times. Was that full throttle for most of the run? I would think them motors would rip insanely fast over the stock Gremlin motors. Be interesting to see what them 4 blade props I sent will do. They are lower pitch I thought would be good to try on the 1104's so them 1106s should spin them up fast and may give you better efficiency as well as a bit smoother locked in turning. Then again they could be so low pitch it wont get the heavier weight off the ground..

French

Thanks, Bill. The whoop and some of the other flights were at my parents home. I love flying there whenever we visit. The whoop was actually piloted by my 15 year old cousin. She had never picked up a transmitter before. Those were her first two batteries every flying. :D

As for the flight times, I agree. You&#8217;ll see in the videos that I was actually afraid of going much higher than 60% throttle on the punch outs. You can see the throttle position in the top left corner of the OSD.

I realize the Tattu 450mah 75C are really only rated for ~33A loads. These motors can pull that easily. I may just pick up some 650mah 75C (48A) and see if the extra weight (an additional ~15g, ~145g AUW) is an issue. The saga continues.

French

I think I found the primary battery issue... I don&#8217;t think I fully charged some of the 450mah packs Thursday night. Two were parallel charging and getting close to full when I accidentally stopped the charge. I tried to restart it, but it read as battery full.

Three fresh and fully charged batteries today resulted in 2:30 to 3:00 flight times. Not amazing, but better.