My new P-40

Winglet

My new P-40 occupies memory position number 50 on my Spekturm transmitter. Do I actually have 50 models ready to fly? Yes, I really do! And the vast majority of these models are FT or at least foam board designs. I know, that is borderline insane. But it is what I enjoy and have for over 50 years.

I was inspired by Jeremy's video to build the Flite Test P-40 from one of their Fast Build Kits. I liked the fact that it has the Warbird look but apparently handled more like a trainer. As a club instructor it seemed like just the ticket to me to inspire some new pilots when combined with a buddy box.

Building

This is a remarkably good kit. Was an absolute joy to assemble. Lots of though has gone into it. I built it bone stock. Even ordered the FT power pack C to go with it and use the recommended 2200mah 3 cell battery.

Flying

It just flies out of your hand. Very easy to launch. Yes, it really does fly like a trainer but it looks really bitchin in the air! It is well balanced in every respect. The suggested power pack is dead on. If you have flown a FT Simple Scout, then you know what I mean only it is bigger. Very relaxing to fly but not boring by any stretch of the imagination. I think almost anyone would enjoy owning this model.

Recommendations and modifications

Build it stock. Don't change a thing. I wouldn't mess with a landing gear. That is just asking for trouble. The FT C pack makes it easy, but I'm sure a wide variety of motor setups will work fine.

If you want something easy and fun to build that is almost guaranteed to fly well, I suggest the P-40.

A few photos of mine

Attachments

• p40A.jpg
    p40A.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • p40B.JPG
    p40B.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • p40C.jpg
    p40C.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My new P-40 occupies memory position number 50 on my Spekturm transmitter. Do I actually have 50 models ready to fly? Yes, I really do! And the vast majority of these models are FT or at least foam board designs. I know, that is borderline insane. But it is what I enjoy and have for over 50 years.

I was inspired by Jeremy's video to build the Flite Test P-40 from one of their Fast Build Kits. I liked the fact that it has the Warbird look but apparently handled more like a trainer. As a club instructor it seemed like just the ticket to me to inspire some new pilots when combined with a buddy box.

Building

This is a remarkably good kit. Was an absolute joy to assemble. Lots of though has gone into it. I built it bone stock. Even ordered the FT power pack C to go with it and use the recommended 2200mah 3 cell battery.

Flying

It just flies out of your hand. Very easy to launch. Yes, it really does fly like a trainer but it looks really bitchin in the air! It is well balanced in every respect. The suggested power pack is dead on. If you have flown a FT Simple Scout, then you know what I mean only it is bigger. Very relaxing to fly but not boring by any stretch of the imagination. I think almost anyone would enjoy owning this model.

Recommendations and modifications

Build it stock. Don't change a thing. I wouldn't mess with a landing gear. That is just asking for trouble. The FT C pack makes it easy, but I'm sure a wide variety of motor setups will work fine.

If you want something easy and fun to build that is almost guaranteed to fly well, I suggest the P-40.

A few photos of mine
Nice plane or planes. You really have 50 planes on the shelf? That IS crazy. And all ready to fly? So they all have there own components, no sharing?

Wish I could get to that point some day.

Have you seen my P-40 thread yet? Check it out and tell me what you think: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/next-level-p-40-group-build.60167/

I know you said stock was fine but I'm not an instructor so I do crazy things to my stuff. See if any of my other links below peak your interest or if you want to chime in on them please do, your feedback would be greatly appreciated

Winglet

Oh yes, Saw your project, battleaxe. Some really slick mods there. Nice nice work. Yes, I really do have 50 airplanes that are more or less ready to fly. Of course they occasionally end up donating parts from time to time like an esc, receiver or prop, but any of them can be ready in a few minutes. Yes, I'm a sick person.;)

FT is so nice if you are an addict like me. If you are into scratch building you can have a whole fleet of great flying/interesting airplanes for the price of one ARF ! I purchase things like 9 gram servos on sale, 50 at a time. I buy Ross board at Wal-mart by the case. I am living proof that those cheap Hobby King Orange receivers work! I have SO many of them. I can't recall a failure.

Last edited:

Lester

Oh yes, Saw your project, battleaxe. Some really slick mods there. Nice nice work. Yes, I really do have 50 airplanes that are more or less ready to fly. Of course they occasionally end up donating parts from time to time like an esc, receiver or prop, but any of them can be ready in a few minutes. Yes, I'm a sick person.;)

FT is so nice if you are an addict like me. If you are into scratch building you can have a whole fleet of great flying/interesting airplanes for the price of one ARF ! I purchase things like 9 gram servos on sale, 50 at a time. I buy Ross board at Wal-mart by the case. I am living proof that those cheap Hobby King Orange receivers work! I have SO many of them. I can't recall a failure.
Center of gravity on the p40