My new Spitfire ready for flight!

NewZee

Hi all, Well my spitfire is redy for her maiden flight (tomorrow) I'm a little nervous, but really excited to see her soar! I think she turned out pretty well! Any last minute advice?
spit1 1.JPG spit 2.JPG

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
We can go the showbiz route and say "Break a wing!"

Glide test to be sure you are happy with the CG location. Double check controls are moving in correct directions.

Get away from the ground and make sure no trees jump out and attack.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Hi all, Well my spitfire is redy for her maiden flight (tomorrow) I'm a little nervous, but really excited to see her soar! I think she turned out pretty well! Any last minute advice?

Nice job! Watch out for that torque roll when you launch.

NewZee

Nice job! Watch out for that torque roll when you launch.

yeah I've been thinking about that as well! Which way (direction) could I expect the roll to be in? Also what is best an overhand or underhand toss to hand launch?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Whichever way you think you can throw harder. It'll likely drop the left wing (from behind) if you overpower the motor on the hand launch. The technique that works well for me:

Spin up you motor to half, aim for just above the horizon, then throw as hard as you can into the wind. Once it's out of your hands, keep the wings level and slowly move up your throttle and climb.

Getting air moving over the airframe will help counter any torque roll.

I've had airframes with bad torque roll, and if I gave it too much throttle on launch, it would climb and roll -- If I just let it go, it'll twist and fly back at me (and likely hit anyone who's standing next to me onlooking). If this starts to happen to you, back off strongly on the throttle (1/4 to 0), level the plane, then slowly bring the throttle back up.

If it *does* head back at you, even if it's gonna miss ***Ditch the plane*** -- cut the throttle, and counter roll and bank. Hopefully it's got enough energy to turn and bank to stay in front of you, then regain control -- all before the forced landing (only when you have control, throttle back up). It's far better to smash into the ground than hit someone who might be standing behind you.

NewZee

SHE FLEW!!!!!

Whichever way you think you can throw harder. It'll likely drop the left wing (from behind) if you overpower the motor on the hand launch. The technique that works well for me:

Spin up you motor to half, aim for just above the horizon, then throw as hard as you can into the wind. Once it's out of your hands, keep the wings level and slowly move up your throttle and climb.

Getting air moving over the airframe will help counter any torque roll.

I've had airframes with bad torque roll, and if I gave it too much throttle on launch, it would climb and roll -- If I just let it go, it'll twist and fly back at me (and likely hit anyone who's standing next to me onlooking). If this starts to happen to you, back off strongly on the throttle (1/4 to 0), level the plane, then slowly bring the throttle back up.

If it *does* head back at you, even if it's gonna miss ***Ditch the plane*** -- cut the throttle, and counter roll and bank. Hopefully it's got enough energy to turn and bank to stay in front of you, then regain control -- all before the forced landing (only when you have control, throttle back up). It's far better to smash into the ground than hit someone who might be standing behind you.

to all of you who gave me pointers and are curious how I made out! went out by myself and left the video camera at home , I felt I had enough to worry about. I hand launched , set throttle at a little less than 3/4, grabbing over the cockpit with my right hand and giving it a solid underhand throw. she took to the air beautifly!! cilmbed fairly level, once in the air and at decent altitude i was having a great time. noticed she wanted to climb and i needed to correct with down elevator to keep at my desired altitude, also wanted to bank (pull) to right ever so slightly. I did a few loops and a fairly tight roll. after a few circuits I thought i'd try a landing. came around into the wind still in a fairly tight left bank and felt I was a little low so I gave up elevator! too much!!!plane went up and over to the right and nosed into the ground HARD! broke the prop, and smashed the battery, wing is fine, but pulled out the skewers, the damage is fixable, in fact I already have her back together!

IMPORTANT the NTM28 26 motor with a 9X6 prop was perfect for this plane. the all up weight was about 710 grams. had plenty of power and cruised fast at 1/2 throttle.

I am so excited my knees were literally shaking when I tossed her up! I feel like a little kid at Christmas! I smashed my plane, and I am THRILLED! Can't wait to go out again this time I'll have videos rolling, and witnesses!!

this was my first ever flight, on any plane,
I'M HOOKED!:black_eyed:

NewZee

It's a special feeling, isn't it? There's something very cool about flying something you built!

You bet! not just that I built her, but how nice she performed!! I was almost as excited to "re-build" her after the crash landing????

Flynn

Congratz NewZee!!! You did an amazing job for your first plane ever! What size battery where you running? Hope your down time is minimal.

N222NY

Thats so awesome man congrats on first flight! What kind of radio are you using? Where do you fly(roughly)...I grew up in West Seneca...

NewZee

Congratz NewZee!!! You did an amazing job for your first plane ever! What size battery where you running? Hope your down time is minimal.

I'm using a 1300mA lipo 30C, (Turnigy) I have a few so loosing one is no big deal, the plane is already fixed and ready for more, It went back together pretty nice, and is not in bad shape at all, in fact it is a little stonger than before (I re-enforced some weak spots), in a few places where the original foamboard felt "soft I peeled off the paper layer, and re-papered with elmers glue and wet brown paper once it dried it was nice and stiff, and felt better than new! will need to keep this trick in mind!

NewZee

Thats so awesome man congrats on first flight! What kind of radio are you using? Where do you fly(roughly)...I grew up in West Seneca...

I'm using a Spektrum DX6i it is great can program so much, set dual rates and expos, and can handle six channels when I'm ready, I bought the basic unit without reciever ($139) and then bout a spectrum AR400 reciever for $29. West Seneca Wow! small world my wife is a substitute teacher in WS! I flew today at losson (Stegilmier) park its off william near union! where are you a now?

N222NY

Sweet! The DX6i looks awesome....hopefully Santa will be good to me this year! Shoot we use to play so much softball at losson. Great park...great for rc too! We live out west of Cleveland now...the not so snowy side of mighty Lake Erie.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Congrats NewZee! You’ve got your first flight out of the way. It’s impressive to know you did it with the Spitfire. Sorry to hear about the crash, but consider each crash a learning experience. I crashed and destroyed my first Spitfire a few weeks ago. Now, I have 4 of them on the assembly line. I’m building a customized one with a non-removable wing and fixed power pod. All the great paint jobs I’ve seen here (yours included) have inspired me to go out and get an airbrush setup. My next Spitfire will be the guinea pig for this endeavor. This is an awesome plane. That’s funny coming from me, because I did not like the Spitfire until FliteTest released this swappable.

Blackbeltrrf

You have my adreniline pumping waiting for the weather to cooperate for me to maiden my first scratch build FT Slinger with "The Beef" setup. I have never hand Launched anything other than my Super Cub which is a slow flyer.

NewZee

Congrats NewZee! You’ve got your first flight out of the way. It’s impressive to know you did it with the Spitfire. Sorry to hear about the crash, but consider each crash a learning experience. I crashed and destroyed my first Spitfire a few weeks ago. Now, I have 4 of them on the assembly line. I’m building a customized one with a non-removable wing and fixed power pod. All the great paint jobs I’ve seen here (yours included) have inspired me to go out and get an airbrush setup. My next Spitfire will be the guinea pig for this endeavor. This is an awesome plane. That’s funny coming from me, because I did not like the Spitfire until FliteTest released this swappable.

My next spitfire will have the non remove able wing! I am actually building a "Cub" and following the "swappable" format it is really looking nice! It has a 40" wingspan, and 26" length. I figure a high wing, plane would help me learn. FYI I used spray cans for my paint job, so for $8 you can have a nice looking plane. But I agree an airbrush is not a bad investment if you plan on doing more planes (aren't we all) down the road.

NewZee

You have my adreniline pumping waiting for the weather to cooperate for me to maiden my first scratch build FT Slinger with "The Beef" setup. I have never hand Launched anything other than my Super Cub which is a slow flyer.

In case you missed it in one of my posts, I used an underhand toss, palm down grab over the cockpit with my right hand and gave a solid upward underhand arching toss...worked great!