My Newfound Hatred of C-Clips

doc_mat

Not quite sure how it happened, but the C-Clip (or whatever it's called) came off of one of my motors... When I tried to put it back on, it snapped in half. Question is now: Can I still use this motor, or is it dead?

sconner

You might be able to get a new C clip at a local hobby shop. It's worth trying! C clips are a very common thing.

sconner

mjmccarron

If you go to a local hardware, the quality will be better than the brittle junk coming out of China. I have found that the only tool required is a pair of needle nose pliers. But, a hardware store or local hobby shop might be willing to help you out

Mike

earthsciteach

You can also flatten the base of the motor shaft (carefully) with a hammer so it can't pull through the bearing.

Bricks

Master member
RC groups had a very large discussion about the C Clip you can fly with out the clip the magnets will keep the bell on if it is an outrunner. The theory came up that the bearings will last longer from not having any lateral pull on the bearing edges. Ball bearings are not meant to have side force on them.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I had the C clips "fall out of" 3 Cobra motors. Thanks for the link with the replacements. Cobra motors never returned my email or tech support questions, so I replaced the entire set with eMAX 3000kvs. Now I may be able to resurrect my Cobras. :)

I found it hard to fly without the C clips. The 1806 2800kv motors sounded horrid and flew horrid without them. I could hear the motors pinging in the air. The vibration on the FC was visible in the OSD. It was pretty bad.

EDIT: My Cobra 1806s run a 2mm shaft. Innovative starts at 3mm for Cobras. :(

Ahh well. I still have eMAX.

Last edited:
So I'm pulling up an old thread, but I have a eMax GT2215/09 and I broke the e clip/c clip/circlip. I know the shaft is 4mm, but what size is my clip?

Also, Harbor Freight? Or should I specifically snag a hobby clip?

I don't want to get the wrong one...