My Old Foggy Won't Fly!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
  • Since I used the original FT Plans, the vertical fin was too small, causing the "dutch roll" that you are describing. Did you use the normal FT Plans?
I hadn't found that to be the case at all myself.
The key to the fogey wing is getting the dihedrial (how ever its spelled) correctly on the two ends. If they are too steep it will always do the "dutch roll". Second is if the wing is in any way warped it will not fly properly. I went through three wings with my son's fogey before we got it perfect
The wing warp and wingtip advise is the same as I have found. I also use a 2200maH as low as I can get with a big slow fly Prop. From there it is a Easy tool around the sky time. Landing gear can help take-offs too.

@Piotrsko said it well.
below is a Chart from and under cambered wing (similar to what the Fogey has) This is CL vs. AoA is similar to most wings though.
1638286389484.png
1638286329217.png

Note that at 0 Airflow incidence (Angle of Attack) the Lift Coeff. (Cl) is almost nothing. Meaning the wing make almost no lift. But at 4-5° AoA (where most Plane wings sit compared to the Horizontal Stabilizer, there is 5x as much lift and 10x when you are climbing.

Ultimately - I love my Fogey. and I think figuring out what isn't right will be rewarded with a great slow flyer with plenty of time aloft.

Attachments

• 1638287188596.png
    1638287188596.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 0

Piotrsko

Master member
Try not to confuse "dutch roll" with typical stable rudder response to high dehederal wing tips. It would still dutch roll with a flat wing if that were the real problem.