My POGL022 - BatCopter

PatOg

My last creation. A sort of BatCopter.

Flies pretty well. Need a bit of tuning. I already lowered and spreaded the front rotors to give a better airflow around the wings and it's much better now (less shaky).

AUW: 1 kg
Motors : RCTimer HP2812 - 1300 kV (crap)
Props : Hq 9X5
FC : kk2.0 v1.6++ rev3

20150203_113436.jpg

http://youtu.be/-oBBI7uDLSE

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Looks cool, but the wings are more design than function, right?

PatOg

the wings

Looks cool, but the wings are more design than function, right?

They do look cool but I originaly put them for stability reason. Acting like a shock absorber they smoothen the model behavior and in fast horizontal flight they give a little lift also.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I was expecting them to do the opposite. In fast horizontal flight the copter will tilt forwards and so will the wings. Unless they are tilted to counter that effect the airflow will push the copter down.

PatOg

I was expecting them to do the opposite. In fast horizontal flight the copter will tilt forwards and so will the wings. Unless they are tilted to counter that effect the airflow will push the copter down.

You're right. They are tilted 12° and so is the horizontal stabilizer. This is limiting the forward maximum speed to about 20 mph.

20150203_113449.jpg
20150203_113427.jpg

PatOg

What's it made of?

Any video yet? :)

Looks pretty cool!

Thanks. It's made of blue insulation foam. Wings are hot wire cut. Drawing is mine.

I use graphic artist vinyl to cover it. Once well put in place I gently heat the vinyl with a "heat gun". It then shrinks and sticks better.

For now, one video with my onboard gopro. More to come on my chanel : http://youtu.be/-oBBI7uDLSE

20150108_224533.jpg 20150110_022656.jpg

Last edited:

PatOg

It looks even cooler in flight. Awesome design.

Thanks Balu,

That's the result of a countless passionated hours of developpement.

Strangely, I don't have any new sketch in my afterthought! I usually have one or two ... may be sick? :)

jipp

it looks great in the air, and it looks like the wings did stabilize it.. now for version 2.. time to step up the design.. and get the best of both worlds. tri-copter for plowing around the air.. then have the winds fold out. for a more stabilized flight for camera work? would be fun to build wings that pop out. ever since i saw the balsa wood episode of the folding wings, iv been playing around with a F16 style delta wing that would pop out ( i figured this would be the easy to develop using a servo to open them.. and i sometimes lack patients so i was not gonna wait for josh to build something. i see peter in the new episode of the guinea pig played with folding wings.. josh you are slacking man... :p even tho im sure his design will be better than anything i hack together :p ).. you mention you have 12 degrees to offset the prop wash. that would make it a little more challenging i think.. but could be done and you could even give it a cool profile while in tri-chopper mode.. then when you pop the wings, you get ( best batman voice ) bat mode! heh. thanks for sharing. i love thinking out side of the box. and explore all the options.. i think you design has some merit.
rock on.
chris.